Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494833 times)

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #9690 on: October 04, 2014, 08:59:53 pm »

That puts you above Ivan at least. Poor bastard just couldn't get anything done about doors. XD
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9691 on: October 04, 2014, 09:00:38 pm »

HOORAY I AM HELPFUL

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9692 on: October 04, 2014, 09:13:18 pm »

((Ask him if you can use Grate.))

Yes, because cross-testing anomalies always ends well.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #9693 on: October 04, 2014, 09:13:46 pm »

@Paris

Umm, what?  I think you're very correct- I never even considered having the ship going down to a planet, or even transporting teams of black ops or whatever.  I thought you meant something like being in orbit with a good camera, for spying, or possibly using the amp to MC someone, if the Avatar is that good.  If it would have any role in transporting, it would be something like flying the troops from a carrier near the JP, and dropping them off with MK.IIIs.  And they'd probably need to be robots or something, because I doubt stasis tanks are small.  Yes, for troop transport, a more traditional ship is way better, because you shouldn't even need flexible space magic on that.

As to your autopilot statement... It's an avatar.  Pilot should not be leaving.  Especially not while in orbit.

As far as the microwave manips... they don't have to be strong at all.  They just need to counter any heat buildup that the avatar produces, and maybe any absorbed radiation from stars; The pilot can remove any initial excess, and any weird surges.  They're probably not of an entirely negligible size, but I highly doubt they're anywhere near as large as automanips capable of making the thing reach escape velocity.

And yes, a ghostship would probably be superior to either option.  It's just even harder to get volunteers for, considering the fact that it's effectively death from an individual's perspective.  At least with the drones, you can be removed and put in a normal robobody.

@Serious

Saint hasn't killed anyone in-game, other than one sod last turn, and sods aren't really people.  Plus, that sod is getting cloned thirty times a day now, so it's almost like negative kills.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9694 on: October 04, 2014, 09:28:27 pm »

I don't STAN know what you're talking about.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9695 on: October 04, 2014, 09:30:36 pm »

I don't STAN know what you're talking about.
I don't underSTANd the problem with using Grate.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9696 on: October 04, 2014, 10:40:35 pm »

Good points.  Do use grate.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9697 on: October 05, 2014, 02:12:01 am »

@SC Oh, and I just meant that perhaps Jim is not exactly a clone, or that there may have been something 'dark and sinister' with the method which produced him - possibilities for your further character building and backstory enhancement.
And that it tied in well with the fact that before a new method came, the results of the whole 'best Exo user ever mass-produced' enterprise mostly failed (with more or less mediocre results), IIRC.
Except for Jim, which means there must be something that sets him apart.

On fighters:
Also, I just thought - could we not try to contact that corporation for a batch of vat-grown ampers for our fighters and even ghostships?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #9698 on: October 05, 2014, 02:36:30 am »

If we really need natural-born people to train, then with the timescales involved with jumping around the galaxy we might as well establish a procreation colony. Faster, cleaner, more natural.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9699 on: October 05, 2014, 03:04:36 am »

Well, or that. As I've suggested earlier as well.
Probably involve some gene- and social engineering to shape the colony to our needs.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9700 on: October 05, 2014, 05:14:33 am »

It seems most of the people participating into ranks talking have quite similiar opinion how it should be and Nikitian wrote it out well. Only problem I see with it is "Hazard" ranks. I mean, what kind commander would want a Hazard in his team?

So next question is how and when it will be implemented?
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9701 on: October 05, 2014, 05:19:12 am »

I say the Generals just appoint people of the highest rank and those appoint others of the second highest rank and those that are left after the appointment are spread amongst the remaining ranks depending on whether they've gone on a mission or not.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9702 on: October 05, 2014, 08:52:15 am »

I'm going to bow out of this discussion because I'm too mad right now.  Spent all day dealing with enormous cluster-#####s caused by upper management only being able to comprehend what's on forms, rather than the realities of situations.

Yes, incidents like this is why I'm so adamantly against enforcing administrative shortcuts upon reality.  A jackass making his own life easier hit me in the goddamn head.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 08:54:32 am by Devastator »

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9703 on: October 05, 2014, 06:48:41 pm »

one of the things I wanted to try on  Hephaestus was finding out more about the UWM's QEC-net backbones and organizing a mission there to see if we could infect them with a computer virus/soundworm hybrid.
((I am not a fan of unleashing the soundworm on a populated world.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9704 on: October 05, 2014, 07:34:31 pm »

one of the things I wanted to try on  Hephaestus was finding out more about the UWM's QEC-net backbones and organizing a mission there to see if we could infect them with a computer virus/soundworm hybrid.
((I am not a fan of unleashing the soundworm on a populated world.))
Yeah, it's the equivalent of using biological warfare, cyber-warfare and nuclear weapons combined on a massive scale. There's both the possibility of mutations (or worse, development of sentience) that could render any sort of countermeasures or "vaccines" we develop useless, the possibility that even if a small piece of the virus remains it could spark a new infection, the transformation of entire regions or even planets into dangerous wastelands until they are cleaned up and the loss of countless of innocent civilian lives. But, like nuclear weapons, they are worth having, if only so that we may study their effects and so that we have something to retaliate with in the event of a similar attack on one of our own worlds.

Not so sure how we would go about using it as a deterrent though. It would have to be done in a way that convinces them of the credibility of the threat of retaliation, without revealing too much about what that retaliation is. Maybe feeding information to one of their agents so that they consider it a credible threat and a credible deterrent. Then again, that might have the exact opposite result.

Anyway, just a thought. Mostly because of Mission 18. It might not even be possible to do this.

We could just launch an operation on a QEC backbone to infect it and other backbones with a virus that could cripple the entire network by somehow causing it to waste all its QEC "fuel", leaving the UWM unable to coordinate until the next shipment of QEC "fuel" arrives to its backbones.
Or just launch a normal "format your harddrives, crash your servers" kind of virus.
Or we could just intercept their transmissions for perfect intelligence.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 07:42:41 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 645 646 [647] 648 649 ... 2205