Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2498165 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #8415 on: August 23, 2014, 11:24:56 pm »

Yeah, that's also what we saw during the Ghostship mission. The real Altered are basically an unstoppable wall of flesh creatures of various types that just keep on going even when you're nuking them repeatedly.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8416 on: August 24, 2014, 12:28:14 am »

Something like that. The casualty numbers were fluctuating somehow.
He never completed the simulation, though. I'll have to try it out when I get back on the Sword.
Any day now.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8417 on: August 24, 2014, 02:16:19 am »

Why weren't they slowed down? Were the nukes not effective, or did they regenerate/replicate, or what?

He never completed the simulation, though. I'll have to try it out when I get back on the Sword.
Any day now.
Berserk Limbless Torso will make sure to tell you alllllll about it.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8418 on: August 24, 2014, 02:21:05 am »

The soldiers begin firing, invisible lances cutting into the oncoming horde. A couple open up with Gauss cannons, spraying the approaching line and, for a few seconds at least, hiding it behind blinding plumes of nuclear fire. But they advance just the same; coming out of the detonations smoldering, red hot and completely undeterred.  Those that fall are trampled beneath the charging horde, like stones vanishing under the surf. And thats what it is; a wave of flesh, an in sweeping tide of unnatural flesh and mindless aggression.  You could swear that some of the fallen creatures are absorbed by their companions as they fall.
Apparently, nuclear hellfire just turns the mountains of murderous flesh into superheated mountains of murderous flesh.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8419 on: August 24, 2014, 02:26:23 am »

Luckily I made a save game, so I can go finish that sim sometime later.

Why weren't they slowed down? Were the nukes not effective, or did they regenerate/replicate, or what?

Any day now.
Berserk Limbless Torso will make sure to tell you alllllll about it.

Imagine throwing a nuke into the ocean. Sure, you vaporized some water, but in the end it doesn't make a big difference toward the size of that sea (it was only 1 nuke and 1 manip-made nuke).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8420 on: August 24, 2014, 03:47:44 am »

So, to effectively combat that tide, you need an Orion drive repurposed into a flame-thrower.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8421 on: August 24, 2014, 06:02:42 am »

Has the Red Hand been fully prototyped? As in, will we see it in the regular Armory list with a token cost reduction (from the industrialised process of manufacturing, yeah, as if 95% of armory stuff didn't come from the AM :P )?

Also, what are the current candidates for 'Upgraded Mk suit'? I remember Anton's Modular Combat Suits, and a couple of other designs from time immemorial, but I don't know if any actual work has been done on them, and what new designs might have sprung since then.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #8422 on: August 24, 2014, 06:47:35 am »

The Red Hand.... eh. No, not quite yet. I don't think it's quite at the point where I'm satisfied with its capabilities. Firstly it needs its generator standardized - what I did to it may as well have been a hackjob, so a more proper generator system needs to be developed for it. Secondly, its performance as both a weapon and a tool is less than stellar. It was made as a cheap shortcut to making an electrolaser, and as a result it has way more power than it actually uses most of the time - the hand laser sucks at dealing damage and cutting both. Something like a compacted laser rifle emitter would work better, or a phased array of hand lasers - so that it has more punch as a weapon, and isn't quite as painful to use as a cutter.

Plus it can still be modified with the Power Griptm, and further streamlined to get its token cost down to maybe 4, although I suspect 5 is the least I'll be able to get away with.

And there's at least four suit projects floating around, I think. Anton's, Simus', Saint's, and Miyamoto's. I might have missed some. Work on them is only just starting to begin, as we've kinda had our hands full.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8423 on: August 24, 2014, 11:20:58 am »

@Nik, suits

Everyone has their own ideas for a basic suit, and we haven't really discussed their relative merits.  My ideas aren't gonna happen because the integrated power source is too expensive, and trading medical systems for armor goes against Simus' design philosophy, and she has veto powers.

Simus' idea of an MCP suit is happening, of course, especially since PW doesn't understand the science so he's just asking Pyro to explain what happens. :P

Anton's MCS... well, I don't think it's been explored very deeply yet.  I think the idea to put hard points for mounting lots of stuff all over the suits came from him, and that is a very good idea, so we'll probably see it.

@Sean in the Heph thread (One post- efficiency!)

Firstly, the gloves should cost a single token because the full suit with generator costs one token, and would be produced in parallel with the standard cheap suits.  PW could rule that just gloves would cost two tokens to manufacture, while adding a full suit makes it cheaper, but I doubt it.  Still, question one of my post makes sure to clarify.

The original purpose of the system was to make it cheaper to buy a second weapon using the system.  Sadly, it seems that it would only work with items that already use a 4 TPU generator... which leaves only the heavy gauss cannon generator. Wait, what, doesn't it propel a slug three times the size at similar speeds?  Shouldn't it be 6 TPU?  That's why I was gonna scrap the idea, but apparently the one token cost is just for the generator and I can attach that however I want.  So, I decided to go with taser/lightning cure knuckles.  Why reduce functionality?

As for giving it to an ally... if you have any time at all, and are in an atmosphere/robot you could just take the gloves off too.  I personally see it being an advantage- an enemy can't grab your gun and shoot you or teammates with it.

Also, as far as the Red Hand, I was gonna modify a version of it to work with Power gloves, yes.  6 TPU is... a bit much, especially when four kills almost as well.  Three TPU can too, I think, which means all you'd need is a laser emitter and spark gap.  You could actually get a red hand that costs two or three tokens.

Oh, also, Nik, THANK YOU SO SO VERY MUCH FOR ASKING PW ABOUT TPU LONG AGO!  It is wonderful and I use it for everything.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8424 on: August 24, 2014, 01:06:42 pm »

Steve, could you please guide us to the crew equivalent of Rec Room? Somewhere they gather to eat or recreate.

I read that as "where they gather to eat or procreate". Now I'm imaging the crewmembers having these insane, wall-to-wall orgies whilst we're out there dying senselessly to poorly understood alien technology and/or unhinged teammates.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8425 on: August 24, 2014, 01:13:04 pm »

Mission 3 writeout. About time...
I dropped a few questions and dialog things from Feyri since no one responded or reacted to those, and I didn't want to sneak in statements of people deliberately ignoring her either.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8426 on: August 24, 2014, 01:18:04 pm »

@syvarris Glad to hear it was actually useful to anyone but me :P
Oh, and the HGC uses four of them, IIRC, so it's 16/4x4TPU, actually.
And you could use it to power laser rifles, they consumed 4TPU input last time I checked (it was a loooong time ago, though). Or, with just a tiny bit of tinkering and additional circuitry, power up the gauss rifles to 2x.
Lastly, a tip (finally a person who might use it!): CutLas batteries hold the best amount of power per token; given that they could be upgraded to rechargeable for a single token, using them might be efficient.
And they are nowhere as OP as tesla sabre batteries used to be.

@Sean Mirrsen Looking forward to the refined version of the Red Hand - I find it ubiquitous utility highly desired, if a tad expensive.

Lastly, as I have said earlier, I would really like to participate in a community tinker project of a next generation suit. Well, in any community tinker project, for that matter.

Steve, could you please guide us to the crew equivalent of Rec Room? Somewhere they gather to eat or recreate.

I read that as "where they gather to eat or procreate". Now I'm imaging the crewmembers having these insane, wall-to-wall orgies whilst we're out there dying senselessly to poorly understood alien technology and/or unhinged teammates.
:o *Wiping a tear off the cheek after a fit of insane laughter*
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8427 on: August 24, 2014, 02:05:55 pm »

@Nikitian

Ohhhh, that's what the 'it uses 4' means in the HGC's entry means.  I had always thought it meant 'it uses four TPU', which is really stupid considering the LESHO says 'it uses 2'.  Now I feel like an idiot. >.<  I editted the wiki to make it more clear.

Yeah, all your info's still correct.  I put the data on the wiki here, mostly so I could find (and link) it easier.  And yes, the tesla saber used to be insanely awesome- I think it supplied as much as a cutting laser for five whole minutes.  Now it's just a smaller, slightly more expensive, version of the cutting laser's battery.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #8428 on: August 24, 2014, 02:38:41 pm »

@syvarris: If you remember, the reason your power suit cost only 1 token was because it got the standard suit cost reduction, that is, its cost got reduced because it replaced the MK1 as an initial suit. You were essentially getting a MK1 with a bigger generator and modified gloves. That's why a generator+gloves system may cost more, because it won't get that cost reduction. Depends on how expensive piecewise thinks the gloves+generators will be after being mass produced.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8429 on: August 24, 2014, 10:28:01 pm »

I'm mostly going on this:

Quote from: piecewise
Quote from: syvarris
6. If I gave the Testament an onboard power system, and scrapped the suit, would the rifle cost an extra token?
yeah, adding those parts would increase the cost.

On one hand, he said yeah, which implies that I was correct in thinking it would be only one token.  On the other hand, he only said it 'would increase the cost.', rather than being specific.  Hence, I made sure to clarify as my first action:

Quote from: syvarris
1.Last turn, you said just sticking the Testament's generator in the Testament would make the gun cost more.  Just to make absolutely certain, you mean that it would cost five tokens, rather than four plus one to buy the suit, yes?

@Sambojin in On-ship thread

Getting a generator for the laser rifle, is, ah, of variable expense.  At best, you might be able to get it modified to use a generator for an additional 2 tokens- one for the modification, and one for the power source.  If we made it standard, it might be slightly cheaper, but we probably won't because it loses too much functionality.

Note, the laser rifle uses four Typical Power Units, continually.  The cutting laser uses eight.  The intensity knob on the laser rifle controls how much that number is multiplied- at two, the laser rifle's beam is as intense as a cutting laser.  At five, it's 250% as strong as a cutting laser.  It can do that, because it uses a battery with all the energy stored up already- with a generator, you'd be stuck at one intensity.

Also, the lasrifle already breaks pretty quickly at five intensity.  Considering it's powerful enough to chop a building in half, that makes sense.
You said your motivation was being trigger-happy?  If you happen to have five tokens, and are willing to wait until the current missions end, you could buy my Testament LSW, which fires mini-PSL shards that explode, at eight rounds per second.  And has a 17,280 round magazine.  Half an hour of continuous automatic fire!
Pages: 1 ... 560 561 [562] 563 564 ... 2205