Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496159 times)

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #6255 on: June 18, 2014, 05:15:03 am »

I do hope we get to find out what was in those boxes.

More boxes, obviously. Infinitely more boxes.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6256 on: June 18, 2014, 05:17:35 am »

That's the saddest part of it, really. That ship seemed like it was going to be cool to explore, but no, overshots had to have their say.
Sad but also hilarious. We find an ancient vessel half-buried in the ice, and before we can so much as open the boxes contained in the shipping crates, the whole thing melts, tears the fabric of reality, and explodes. Was it an extermination vessel en route to a major population center with a cache of biological weapons, or a cargo hauler stuffed with party favors whose captain became tragically drunk on the job?

Now we might never know.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: June 18, 2014, 05:20:02 am »

I do hope we get to find out what was in those boxes.

Huh. We could've used those to generate infinite ammo supplies with some use of automanips.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: June 18, 2014, 05:21:45 am »

I wonder if there are any situations where it's a weapon skill roll versus another roll in which case overshots wouldn't matter, or whether the only real benefit of increasing those bonuses is raising the chances of success and/or maximizing overshot magnitude.

I know that in certain cases, speech can force speech vs willpower, which is why I just pump Charles' level ups into speech as the capacity to roll high is still valuble in certain cases. Plus, @PW told me that if I wanted to have Charles convince Auron and Simus that their mutual hostility was actually due to being madly in love with one another and trying to suppress it (yep, I was actually considering trying that back when it was actually an issue), his speech roll would have to be significantly higher than their willpower rolls.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: June 18, 2014, 05:23:23 am »

I have no idea. My plan was just to get 5s 100% of the time with my decompensators when the universe dropped the dice hammer on me.
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6260 on: June 18, 2014, 05:26:50 am »

You know, now that I think about it, if this is the case then it's actually a good thing we lost half the team blowing up the ice cap and mission site. The alternative would have been seeing how long it took us to break causality with a spiraling infinity chain of plain grey boxes.

I wonder if there are any situations where it's a weapon skill roll versus another roll in which case overshots wouldn't matter, or whether the only real benefit of increasing those bonuses is raising the chances of success and/or maximizing overshot magnitude.
I believe PW has said that in the case of opposed rolls, higher wins except for 5s, which win against everything. So in that sense, a 9 can be better than an 8 in a lot of situations. Well, some situations. A 7 can be better than a 6, at any rate.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: June 18, 2014, 05:27:16 am »

@Harry: Not to mention all the new technologies we just lost access to.

New SOP:
When anyone with a +2 to space magic and no decomp wields their unholy powers another space magician must prepare to instantly counter the effect should the action go awry.

@Irony: Cant argue with hilarious, or even awesome, but its still sad.
No alien skulls for Aurons armor, no homicidal alien death penises for Nyars to sell, no fancy new metamaterials for the R&D guys, and no ancient evil ship for Steve to secretly attack the UWM with.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: June 18, 2014, 05:30:08 am »

New SOP:
When anyone with a +2 to space magic and no decomp wields their unholy powers another space magician must prepare to instantly counter the effect should the action go awry.
What if the other space magician also has a +2 and no decomp? Pray that China-9 and Ice-9 cancel each other out? :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6263 on: June 18, 2014, 05:31:48 am »

In this case it wasn't even my space magic stat with a +2 in that put everyone else in danger, it was my other one!
Sig! Onol

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: June 18, 2014, 05:33:18 am »

New SOP:
What if the other space magician also has a +2 and no decomp? Pray that China-9 and Ice-9 cancel each other out? :P
Brilliant! We'll either avoid or magnify every catastrophe! Flawless safety record until THERE WAS NO PLANET HERE I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT GOOD DAY.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6265 on: June 18, 2014, 05:34:55 am »

I think we should mention Mesk being awesome, though- he singlehandedly saved about half the team,in effect.

This whole mission has been Stacy accidentiallying the whole bottle, and Mesk then saving us from being killed xD
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: June 18, 2014, 05:40:21 am »

Hey hey hey. I saved some people too! Admittedly after Mesk dumped them near the APC, and mainly because driving rapidly away was the way to save my own hide anyway, but still... :P
And I'm pretty sure Xan's dead at this point- and not like he'd be allowed to re-join the ship even if he did survive.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: June 18, 2014, 05:41:19 am »

Maybe he can be his own flaming leg ship at this point?  :P

Edit: Also, Yoink, today is the first day I have seen your new avatar play at a fast speed, it is monumentially more disturbing when played at a high speed
« Last Edit: June 18, 2014, 05:43:12 am by Kedly »
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: June 18, 2014, 05:42:12 am »

Maybe, maybe not. I can still do the evac signal with my microwave amp and levitate my brain into an evac shuttle with my other amp.

Clearly nothing can go wrong.
Sig! Onol

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6269 on: June 18, 2014, 05:43:58 am »

Yeah, as hilarious as that mission has been, it might really hurt our war erfort not gaining access to whatever technology was hidden in there. And as pw said, everything we do might help or hamper us in the bigger picture, and I think we just shot ourselves in the foot here. What a shame.

I have no idea. My plan was just to get 5s 100% of the time with my decompensators when the universe dropped the dice hammer on me.

Done aaand done. At least once the sheets get updated, I should have a 1/6 chance of getting a four instead of a five, special circumstances notwhithstanding. Hmm, I should really take the time to think of new techniques to use with that manip.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 416 417 [418] 419 420 ... 2205