Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491840 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #4890 on: May 25, 2014, 01:15:26 am »

@PW and others: since there is a good chance I, and other people as well perhaps. won't be able to look at this thing for a good while, I'd propose we agree not to discus the info in that thing in other threads than the one reserved for it. I don't know if there is any kind of 'big reveal' info in there, but still, I think that it'd be a good idea to give everybody a chance to discover it for themselves.

Anyone else an opinion on this?
It's all quite literally ancient history; but ok.

I'd make a joke about how you can't say "OMG SPOILERS!" about history... Except in this particular case, where we have no idea what history is like. So yeah, thanks.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4891 on: May 25, 2014, 01:34:34 am »

I don't think there's anything earth-shaking in there.  Seems to be mostly world building (but then, so does the TV).

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4892 on: May 25, 2014, 02:36:51 am »

Nah, nothing earthshaking. It's all things like I just realized I can't really describe stuff without spoiling. Uhhhh. It's all stuff that you'd find in a history textbook. Little tidbits concerning things like what a border patrol guard was armed with, or a police uniform. I hope that was vague enough.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4893 on: May 25, 2014, 09:17:42 pm »

NONE OF THE IMAGES BELOW ARE MINE! I JUST EDITED THEM A BIT.

I was playing around with Sean's drawings in GIMP while making portraits for Lyra and Jim (because it's nice to have some images in the wiki) and I made this: Lyra Sitting on a Nothing
Which I then combined with another image and made this: Lyra Sitting on a Swing

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #4894 on: May 26, 2014, 05:33:38 am »

That reminds me, it would be cool to have art of at least all of the characters who have survived a mission.  Not that I'm volunteering to do it.  Didn't someone suggest a "team photo" a while back?  Are any of the artsy people up for it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4895 on: May 26, 2014, 06:12:23 am »

That reminds me, it would be cool to have art of at least all of the characters who have survived a mission.  Not that I'm volunteering to do it.  Didn't someone suggest a "team photo" a while back?  Are any of the artsy people up for it?
"Any of the artsy people" is mostly this massive crowd of two or three people at most, and of them I think I'm the only one at least intermittently active in that capacity. And my productivity is entirely at the whims of inspiration. -_-
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #4896 on: May 26, 2014, 07:58:07 am »

That was me who suggested the team photo.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4897 on: May 26, 2014, 09:59:00 am »

Holy crap. Why was the week I was muted the one week everything explodes?

What the heck did I miss, and what do I need to do?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4898 on: May 26, 2014, 10:02:59 am »

Holy crap. Why was the week I was muted the one week everything explodes?

What the heck did I miss, and what do I need to do?

You need to retroactively sell Milno your alien power source so that he or possibly some other party can do mad science.

~~Negotiation with Grate~~

Grate - and anyone nearby, for that matter - would see how Milno's body tensed slightly as soon as he touched the eerie, spiderweb-like artifact with his ever-changing, strange alien gauntlet. After some time in the same state, he finally pulled his hand back. Both his hands reached for his honey badger-shaped helmet, unlocking it without hurry before taking it off. Lowering the helmet and wrapping the gauntlet hand around it by his side, Milno then moved the sharpened fingers of his prosthetic hand up to his lip, touching it before taking it up to his eyes. Blood.

"This thing's sentient. It's also very pissed, even more so towards me." He told Grate, keeping his voice down so that only the boy would hear. "Want some info? This thing's a power source, apparently a good one. I snatched it back at Mission One, and it had a tendency to force hallucinations on anyone approaching it, though that could be a field it was projecting or something." Milno seemed a bit tired as he continued. "On top of that, the little bugger doesn't seem very cooperative right now. Not sure if you can get any energy out of it - depends on whether it only hates me with a passion - though you can always try to do it or sell it to me so I can give it a go."

"Even then, I'm not sure I'll be able to get something out of it or it'll be a waste of my time and tokens. What do you say?"

Like so.

Also, you're on Hephaestus and things move pretty slowly there.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4899 on: May 26, 2014, 10:05:18 am »

Which thread is Hephaestus?

And how much were you offering?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4900 on: May 26, 2014, 10:08:00 am »

In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: May 26, 2014, 10:21:41 am »

...Huh.
That probably should have been obvious.
Sig

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: May 26, 2014, 11:30:45 am »

"Okay then. I'll try shooting away from the ship and away from the planet. Thanks Steve."
It would probably be safer if you were shooting sideways, actually. Away from the ship and perpendicular to the up/down direction. If you're shooting projectiles that do reach escape velocity it doesn't matter, but if they don't they are much less likely to eventually fall back if they are fired into an orbit.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #4903 on: May 26, 2014, 12:31:11 pm »

"Okay then. I'll try shooting away from the ship and away from the planet. Thanks Steve."
It would probably be safer if you were shooting sideways, actually. Away from the ship and perpendicular to the up/down direction. If you're shooting projectiles that do reach escape velocity it doesn't matter, but if they don't they are much less likely to eventually fall back if they are fired into an orbit.
Yeah, I had the same thought, I was going to say it next turn.

Not that it is necessary, the Rainbow Cannon is an energy weapon, so its projectiles will probably run out of juice after a while.

And while some of the modes of the Rainbow Cannon seem plausible and reproducible by current Human science in the ERverse, others, like the Orange Energy Mine which is made of 100% pure orange juice energy, seem to be some sort of space magic that would normally require automanipulators to work, so they probably won't keep functioning indefinitely and will eventually run out of energy.

So as long as they remain in a semi-stable orbit, they'll dissipate after a while.
Then again, it's space magic and you can never be sure with space magic.
If my calculations are correct an electron goes about 2km/s when orbiting a proton.
I remember reading that if electrons really did orbit protons in a conventional sense, the moving electrical charge would cause a release of...something, I forget what, causing the electron to lose energy and crash into the proton in a tiny fraction of a second. So that number might be meaningless.
Moving electrical charges creates an electromagnetic field (light, magnetic field).

However even in the model I'm describing (Rutherford-Bohr model basically), the electron doesn't do that, because the electron only releases energy when it leaves a quantized orbit and descends into a lower orbit, which signifies a lower energy state. Similarly, an electron must absorb photons that have the exact energy for it to ascend to a higher energy state, a higher orbit. Search for a website explaining emission lines or Bohr's model of the atom.

And like I said in that post, I have little clue of how quantum mechanics work in that scale other than those few functions we learned in the university. So while a model using modern quantum-mechanics would be more accurate representation for that system, I have no idea what that quantum model would entail. Unless you have any spare quantum physicists lying around.

You also have the problem that heat from firing might just boil the booze.
I chatted with a firearms expert I know, and he said it was doable. He said it depends on how much was getting heated up, but unless it managed to make the alcohol reach its flash point, it would be fine. He compared it to incendiary rounds, in case that helps.
When I explained the situation, he pointed out that is might be pointless. How potent is a few grams of mind rot, anyways?
I think I read somewhere of some rebels who put mercury in hollow point rounds so that anyone their bullets didn't kill would be poisoned and thus the enemy soldiers would either be forced to care for their wounded comrade with little chance of success or be forced to leave him to die. Might have been just a rumour though. Anybody knows more on this?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 12:32:43 pm by Parisbre56 »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: May 26, 2014, 12:47:04 pm »

And how much were you offering?

I was waiting for you to make me an offer. Since I'm not sure either of us will manage to get something useful out of it, I was considering paying the same amount you bought it for so you could at least retroactively buy another Nyars box with the payment.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.
Pages: 1 ... 325 326 [327] 328 329 ... 2205