Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496927 times)

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32700 on: September 27, 2016, 01:46:03 pm »

You could also have a string of beartraps, or revolvers, or heads, or torsos.  Or no legs at all.  There's no real difference or penalty, as far as I can see.

Piecewise, will one of the levelup options be to increase the number of human parts you're considered to have, in some way?  Right now, the body system requires you to have a majority of human parts, or maybe slightly more demon parts than human if you've got high heart.  That seems insufficiently monstrous to me.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32701 on: September 27, 2016, 03:14:58 pm »

You could also have a string of beartraps, or revolvers, or heads, or torsos.  Or no legs at all.  There's no real difference or penalty, as far as I can see.

Piecewise, will one of the levelup options be to increase the number of human parts you're considered to have, in some way?  Right now, the body system requires you to have a majority of human parts, or maybe slightly more demon parts than human if you've got high heart.  That seems insufficiently monstrous to me.
Well, heart can increase past 100, so there's no upper limit on how big of a bar you could get out of one piece. However, I understand the issue. And even beyond that there's the problem of human parts just getting destroyed as you fight and being unable to replace them. I've been considering ways to handle this but it's a little tricky to do without letting people get OP by either giving them super humanity regen or letting them be a demon made of 50 guns.

Allowing level ups to create a kind of "Phantom human part" that generates Humanity no matter what might be a good one. Maybe trade out an existing slot for permanent humanity regen.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32702 on: September 27, 2016, 03:23:25 pm »

Wait so I can't replace lost human parts by saychopping off that chap's hand over there to replace the hand a demon with chain saw teeth bit off last week and stitching it on in place?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32703 on: September 27, 2016, 06:01:39 pm »

how about something like "convert part to 'human'." the idea is, you exert total mastery over a given nonhuman part, to the point that it becomes natural to you. Think prosthetics, or even such silly things as glasses. it wold have to be a difficult process, to prevent overuse. And maybe it would involve putting one's core inside the part for a period of time, with a resultant "battle of wills" to determine the success. maybe failure results in damage to the part, destruction, or even a backlash where the part gains an opposed will and you have to fight to keep it under control from then on. But if successful, the part could generate humanity for you, thouugh maybe not contribute to total humanity or something?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32704 on: September 27, 2016, 07:36:35 pm »

Wait so I can't replace lost human parts by saychopping off that chap's hand over there to replace the hand a demon with chain saw teeth bit off last week and stitching it on in place?
You could, replacing destroyed human parts with other human parts, but that only maintains the situation for so long. And it doesn't fix the "Make us more monstrous" problem.

how about something like "convert part to 'human'." the idea is, you exert total mastery over a given nonhuman part, to the point that it becomes natural to you. Think prosthetics, or even such silly things as glasses. it wold have to be a difficult process, to prevent overuse. And maybe it would involve putting one's core inside the part for a period of time, with a resultant "battle of wills" to determine the success. maybe failure results in damage to the part, destruction, or even a backlash where the part gains an opposed will and you have to fight to keep it under control from then on. But if successful, the part could generate humanity for you, thouugh maybe not contribute to total humanity or something?
possible, but it also adds something else to track. I'd prefer it just be a level up thing, if only for ease of use.

I actually did think of something similar to what you're saying here though. It's a good idea...but I see it getting cumbersome in terms of gameplay.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32705 on: September 27, 2016, 08:25:49 pm »

So....oro is xan simulator 2016?
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32706 on: September 27, 2016, 09:12:40 pm »

Not exactly more monsterization, but somewhat interconnected.

I honestly feel like some of the stuff going on in the humanity system is pretty redundant. Namely, having both the per-part humanity cost, and what's essentially a penalty for getting rid of or losing human limbs. It works out, to an extent, but I feel it's getting a little... messy, I guess? Less intuitive, maybe.

Maybe we could remove the bonus-per-limb thing, adjust the max humanity equation accordingly, and then reprice the parts in a way that is more expensive (as per not losing humanity alongside human limbs), but will let you use more monster bits within the newer system?

You'd need some way to keep people from turning into a head with three skeleton arms, though. I'm thinking some sort of ratio of human parts:monster parts that can't be exceeded, lest you either lose a bunch of humanity or turn into a demon on the spot.

The above would make body-building easier, eliminate some annoying math, and fix the weird thing where otherwise-human cripples lose humanity, while still restricting part use and corrupting you if you have too many monstrous parts.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32707 on: September 27, 2016, 09:32:41 pm »

you could have slots still produce humanity if destroyed, but when you place a demon part in that slot it becomes corrupted and will never produce humanity again barring levelup perks or reintroducing a human limb.

plus all itd take to keep track of corruption is changing the text color or adding an asterisk to the segment name.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:37:20 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #32708 on: September 28, 2016, 05:49:58 am »

Is this open to new players yet?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32709 on: September 28, 2016, 09:08:34 am »

Is this open to new players yet?
We're currently running a test of the combat system to make sure it all works, but as soon as that is done, it will be. If you'd like to watch, there's a stickied thread called "Oro discussion" where the test is taking place.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32710 on: September 28, 2016, 09:23:13 am »

In terms of what to do about humanity and such, what I'm probably gonna do is two fold: 1 remove humanity cost from demon parts. It's a bit superflous really, charging you twice for a part: once with the loss of humanity from losing limbs, and then again for no real reason. It's a hold over from before human parts directly effected regen speed. Parts that provide giant bonuses will just take multiple slots.

And for an evolution towards being more demonic and having fewer human parts, I think we're gonna go with a level up option. So for leveling up we have the ability to either
1. increase base stats
2. increase available normal slots
3. add one "phantom limb" that always adds +1 to your human limb count for the sake of humanity regen and max.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32711 on: September 28, 2016, 09:51:25 am »

If there's no more cost per-limb, then how do we handle the penalty for building outside normal limits? Is that just impossible now?
Like if I wanted to put that big 2-slot drill as an offshoot of my hand, what's to stop me doing that and losing nothing, as opposed to replacing my hand and forearm, losing two human parts?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32712 on: September 28, 2016, 10:21:38 am »

If there's no more cost per-limb, then how do we handle the penalty for building outside normal limits? Is that just impossible now?
Like if I wanted to put that big 2-slot drill as an offshoot of my hand, what's to stop me doing that and losing nothing, as opposed to replacing my hand and forearm, losing two human parts?
Thats a good point. So what I'll actually do then is keep the humanity cost of the part but only apply it if you build outside the normal range.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32713 on: September 28, 2016, 10:38:59 am »

Hmm.  Other potential issues are that there's no reason to take weaker parts if there's better stuff available.  Some stuff is just trash that you'll replace as soon as you have better parts, with the possible exception of tacking it on outside the normal body plan.

Also, this means that you're perfectly free to have only one human body part, and be full demon otherwise, at level one--assuming you have the parts.  Of course, that does present danger due to very low humanity, and you'll instadie if an enemy gets a lucky hit on that single part.  I'm not entirely sure that's a sufficient tradeoff, though.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32714 on: September 28, 2016, 10:58:57 am »

Hmm.  Other potential issues are that there's no reason to take weaker parts if there's better stuff available.  Some stuff is just trash that you'll replace as soon as you have better parts, with the possible exception of tacking it on outside the normal body plan.

Also, this means that you're perfectly free to have only one human body part, and be full demon otherwise, at level one--assuming you have the parts.  Of course, that does present danger due to very low humanity, and you'll instadie if an enemy gets a lucky hit on that single part.  I'm not entirely sure that's a sufficient tradeoff, though.
It would also mean that you'd be basically unable to do any humanity draining abilities.
Pages: 1 ... 2179 2180 [2181] 2182 2183 ... 2205