Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2164 2165 [2166] 2167 2168 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2496865 times)

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32475 on: September 12, 2016, 01:08:38 pm »

So we have to have a humanoid shape? Otherwise you get spiders and centipedes, with hundreds of spells, or many based off one single OP part.

Trying to do something like that would probably turn you into a demon pretty quickly. And then your uber-form tries to murder your teammates, so it'd balance out.

With that in mind, non-humanoid stuff could be pretty fun. Risky, but it could result in some interesting stuff.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32476 on: September 12, 2016, 01:11:38 pm »

What I'm thinking of is doing Functional and structural parts. Functional parts have some sort of effect or action while structural add stats and work as bridging between parts. For instance, the human arm might have three parts, the hand which is functional and the forearm and upper arm that add +1 and +2 strength. And functional parts can be linked with one being slaved to another. For instance you might have a gun and an electrical part. And you could slave the electrical part to the gun part and shoot electrified shots.

What I need to do is have parts that are functional or structural as well as some subsets of types, such as functional parts that are always "End" or "Master" parts. For instance, can a gun part be slaved to something? Or would that just destroy the other part because you're shooting through it? Can I build up things sideways? Like could I have a cluster of 5 gun parts? What kind of body plan do we have to have? If any?

It's important to have some guidelines for building ourselves into lego demon spawn.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32477 on: September 12, 2016, 01:18:01 pm »

It's important to have some guidelines for building ourselves into lego demon spawn.

I believe I've found a new sig.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #32478 on: September 12, 2016, 01:23:16 pm »

Would structural parts have defined limits on how many things can be attached?  So a base human torso has four limb slots, and head slot?  Or hell, five limb slots?

Would this then mean I wouldn't be able to attach wings to the back of my torso, either needing to first find a torso with wing slots, or swap my arms/legs for wings?

How about size discrepancies?  If I kill a pair of giant snakes, large enough to swallow me whole, can I replace both my legs with their bodies?  Or would one snake body use both leg slots, making me a lamia?  Same with a centaur; Can I chop off a horse's head and my legs, then glue the two bodies together?  Or would only one leg go, leaving me with a vestigial leg in prime kicking position?

If all of these are answered by "yes", then I imagine many-limbed demons will be considered very valuable--kill a demon with six arms and take its torso, because at worst you can replace all the arms with human arms, thus increasing your mana regen significantly.

Can we only take demon body parts?  Or can I preemptively become a human-legged centaur before entering Oroboropolis, by raiding a farm?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32479 on: September 12, 2016, 01:25:00 pm »

Huh.  If I can replace my head with a scorpion tail, or a gun or whatever, that would presumably mean I can replace other distal parts with completely unrelated distal parts, such as my hands with heads.  This would imply that base parts and middle parts can also be swapped, at least with other limbs of the same category.  Which implies that I can replace my chest with a fleshmonger's forearm, which could then have two fleshmonger arms attached to it.

Taking this to the logical conclusion, I should be able to attach additional arms to those two arms' forearms, and more arms to those arms, ad infinitum.  The same can be said for any body part, using the same logic.

Of course, this obviously breaks the humanity as mana system.  Rather than keeping your original human bits to regen mana, you should just dismember your teammates and staple their limbs to yourself; you'll end up with more human parts than you started with, thus making yourself more human than a baseline human.  Since you can also staple demon parts to yourself, there's no real downside.

Perhaps humanity should regen on a percentage-based system?  Or extra limbs beyond the normal number should incur some penalty?  It would be a shame to simply say "No, you can't superglue your dead family's corpses to your back to triple the strength of your magic".  That's just Pinwheel discrimination.

What I'm thinking of is having humanity work like this.

If your humanity hits 0, you go full demon.

Each human part regens humanity each turn.

You start with your 15 original parts. Any parts beyond those parts put strain on your humanity and reduce the regeneration rate. So even if you staple another human arm to yourself, it won't help and can actually hurt.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32480 on: September 12, 2016, 01:28:44 pm »

Huh. So would that mean that a viable thing to do would be carrying around a backpack full of human parts and temporarily swapping your demon parts with them for a bit when your humanity gets too low?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32481 on: September 12, 2016, 01:31:03 pm »

I'm getting the sense that this system could allow you to heal using your teammates' corpses.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32482 on: September 12, 2016, 01:39:03 pm »

I'm getting the sense that this system could allow you to heal using your teammates' corpses.
I think it would be very possible. In fact I think it would be some of the least of the literal crimes against humanity possible under that system.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #32483 on: September 12, 2016, 01:41:03 pm »

would baby parts by chance have more base humanity than adult limbs?
Just pondering future atrocities.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32484 on: September 12, 2016, 01:42:30 pm »

Millipede torso + 50 infant limbs = all the humanity.

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #32485 on: September 12, 2016, 01:48:15 pm »

Congrats pw, you are making a system for living out all our psycopath babby murdering fantasies. May satan
god bless you.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32486 on: September 12, 2016, 01:50:33 pm »

Wait, wouldn't it make more sense that going beyond the baseline human form decreases humanity again? Eg. that having more than 2 arms, even if they come from other normal humans, decreases your humanity score instead of making you 'more human' somehow? If not, wouldn't it make more sense to call the stat 'human biomass' (as opposed to demon/animal/inorganic mass) instead of 'humanity'?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32487 on: September 12, 2016, 01:59:25 pm »

Yes. The way it'd make sense to me would be to have it based on percentage of baseline human parts, with each part that actually belongs to you giving a bonus. So losing an arm and replacing it with a friend's would reduce humanity, not not nearly as much as replacing it with a demon arm.
But more-human-than-human baby limb centipedes are just too cool not to consider. :P

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32488 on: September 12, 2016, 03:24:27 pm »

There's also the fact that you have to take functional arrangements into account. For instance, I was telling my girlfriend about this stuff and she asked if she could just make her character into a big ball of heads.  And that brought up an obvious point I was overlooking: What the hell do we do about non-humanoid type creatures? If I have you guys fight a big snake thing, can you then take part of the body and the head of that thing and use it as your arm and hand? It seems reasonable right? Or using the body and tail as a leg. Or any strange combination of limbs which could reasonably be strung along.

There's exactly one thing you can replace with giant naga package.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32489 on: September 12, 2016, 03:27:17 pm »

Character growth = growing extra limbs.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 2164 2165 [2166] 2167 2168 ... 2205