Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491915 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #32415 on: September 10, 2016, 07:18:41 pm »

Clearly the best solution is to combine "FLESH" and that perplexicon variant where you can replace body parts with magical versions and fart black holes to kill weird magical demons and cannibalize them for parts.

Wait this sounds great...

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #32416 on: September 10, 2016, 07:20:46 pm »

Clearly the best solution is to combine "FLESH" and that perplexicon variant where you can replace body parts with magical versions and fart black holes to kill weird magical demons and cannibalize them for parts.

I, for one, welcome the body horror.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32417 on: September 10, 2016, 07:35:17 pm »

Quote from: Ozarck
I vote "meh, no thanks" to a game in which all we have is what is available now in real life, only less of it, and we have to fight other scavengers over every scrap. the net result of such a system will always be a loss. And the things you build will inevitably break before long, or slowly wear away while you spend your time trying to maintain shit. I don't like games where I watch everything slowly wind down to failure.

Silly Ozy, this isn't a democracy.  Our opinions are at best suggestions for PW, and if he's struck with inspiration for something nobody has interest in, that's what he'll develop.
I know you love to pick at my grammar, while I use language more flexibly :D But no, I am not "voting" as if it were an election. i am simply stating a preference using election language. I am picking, too, both at the concepts of these games and at their mechanics, trying to tease out how PW would present them. I know I tend toward negativity, but in the end, I'll probably join anyway.
Hell, if ER redux were to go as is, I'd play it. I'm kinda interested to see if Toby survives this round and becomes a werewolf in truth.

2) a game of diminishing returns is a game of attrition and loss. I dislike that.

You run a game of diminishing returns!  In OL, to go from -1 to +1 costs two levelups.  To go from +1 to +2 has the same cost.  +2 to +3 costs three.  That is the definition of diminishing returns; you get diminished benefit for the same investment after you've already invested.
I knew someone would pick up on that distinction. What I meant by diminishing returns was more the idea of "increase in entropy" on a game scale. that is, no matter how much effort you put in, you slide downward. that's kinda the idea, from what pw has said before, of these mad max games he wants to run. Besides, in OL, as in ER, the returns aren't simply measured by stat up. additional growth happens as well, in a variety of ways. in ER, that allowed Xan to become a multiuniversal flesh abomination and Saint to become a multiuniversal machine abomination and Steve to become a multiuniversal mind abomination. And Miya to run a multiuniversal government ... etc. Why, the white mask, id manifesters, and pocket dimensions alone outweighed much of the stat system, as did robobodies and synthflesh, amps, etc.

3) post apocalyptic is fine. scarcity is fine. crafting is fine, pve and pvp are fine but the five as primary game mechanics are in conflict, and seem like they would lead to more tedium than interesting activity.

Post apoc, with scarcity, crafting, pve, and pvp.  I.E. every post apoc game that involves both crafting and pvp.  There's a lot of those, and it seems like a pretty popular genre to me.
Are we talking forum games here? the only post apocs I've played here (that I remember) have been either zombie survival or "holy crap, the world sure is different after event x." So, if those games you mentioned exist, I am not familiar with them. maybe they would work out better than I suspect. I don't know.

Hey, on a side note, remember last time we all talked for a while about the next PW game? I suggested for Oro a tiered character system where number of characters killed advanced a player's character choices. I have been running a game, Grunts, based on that idea. Actually, maybe someone else suggested the idea, but I liked it. anyway, grunts is poorly thought out, but it seems interesting enough, were I to sit down and really flesh out some of the mechanics a bit.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32418 on: September 10, 2016, 07:35:52 pm »

Don't forget to add a sprinkle of magical girl.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32419 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:15 pm »

PW just needs to run about three test games for three different system/games and see what sticks.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32420 on: September 10, 2016, 07:37:54 pm »

But the twist is that they're all THE SAME GAME.
spooky

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32421 on: September 10, 2016, 08:05:24 pm »

Don't forget to add a sprinkle of magical girl.
I'm sure we can find a tutu around here somewhere....

But the twist is that they're all THE SAME GAME.
spooky
Oro with perplexicon magic and body part switching?

Stop, I'm liking this more and more.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32422 on: September 10, 2016, 08:14:57 pm »

Stop, I'm liking this more and more.
And it all happens on board player-made airships! Hahahahaha!

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32423 on: September 10, 2016, 09:02:12 pm »

My air ship will have two coal fed engines, two double hulled, ribbed envelopes containing helium, a riple lense telescope and a gyroscopic astrolabe with attached sextant, a map room, treasure room, and luxury captain's cabin. Crew will be the Captain, First mate, ship's boy,  four ogres to run the furnaces, six climbers to tend the sails and envelopes, a master engineer, two apprentice engineers, and three ship's cats.

And also a monkey,

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32424 on: September 10, 2016, 09:16:41 pm »

Now draw a blueprint for it and figure out how to make all that float within budget.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #32425 on: September 10, 2016, 09:28:24 pm »

This lung has the power of lightning. Cough to throw lighting bolts. Better yet, get yourself a blade power esophagus and hack up lightning swords.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #32426 on: September 10, 2016, 11:40:48 pm »

Now draw a blueprint for it and figure out how to make all that float within budget.
shut up. that's my starting ship. I only need blueprints for the machine harpoon arquebus, the wingsuits, the diamond spiderswords, the electrorover, and the monkey.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32427 on: September 10, 2016, 11:51:58 pm »

Get out your MSpaint and show me how you'll assemble all those things, including the monkey.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32428 on: September 10, 2016, 11:54:42 pm »

Will I be able to piss acid and crap C4? Cause that could be fun
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #32429 on: September 11, 2016, 01:06:40 am »

Will I be able to piss acid and crap C4? Cause that could be fun
The Alien movies would be so different if they did those things...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 2160 2161 [2162] 2163 2164 ... 2205