Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1937 1938 [1939] 1940 1941 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489842 times)

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #29070 on: February 29, 2016, 07:48:08 pm »

Man, I don't know what to support, getting into a brand new setting sounds really cool, but I don't know if it would be as cool as the ER setting especially if PW did a thousand year time skip. Hmmmmm decisions decisions.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29071 on: February 29, 2016, 08:30:06 pm »

In the original perplexicon, I was the person who discovered necromancy.  I discovered it like this:
Do things.

[pot:4+1]
A screech echos in the cold mountain air as you say your words and the ground glows an eerie green. Skeletal hands push themselves up through the glow, dragging with them skeletal bodies. Human skeletons, bare of flesh, crawl from the ground and weave their bones together, forming a wheel.

Another guy, Angle, who was on one of my teams assembled an entire mecha from fungi.  He was essentially piloting a haebi mech.  Toaster once mind controlled a pirate into casting a cluster black hole spell, instantly destroying the pirate's ally and ship.

The word for repulsion was discovered when Tsuchigumo accidentally enchanted his (wooden, due to an earlier accident) leg to repel flesh, causing it to be physically torn from his body and launched away.  Another nice instance of self harm was when I attempted to give myself an energy shield, and used words which instead completely delimbed my whole body.

...Okay, none of these are actually setting things, because the original Perplexicon wasn't heavy on the setting.  MMWW should have a great setting, and has strategy elements!  Gang warfare!  We could band together into a single gang and aim to conquer the whole city!  ER doesn't let us conquer--at most, we fly in, nuke everything which surrenders, and then fly away and let NPCs enjoy the whole ruling part.

Edit: Also, the dangerous spells I name sound very random, which is a negative to some people.  One of the things I loved about Perplexicon is that all the randomness had an internally consistent logic to it.  Every spell I've named was a successful spell which did exactly what it was supposed to do--the users just didn't realize what words they were using, and said things like "Tear my leg off!" in a language they didn't understand.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29072 on: February 29, 2016, 08:36:11 pm »

You forgot to mention the time the two player factions re-enacted The Departed, except both the double agents were you. And the boozeverse.

Damn it, now I'm busy reminiscing my time as a pacifist arms dealer.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29073 on: February 29, 2016, 09:02:45 pm »

I vote ER-verse, but a change in mechanics I would be ok with. I'd be sad if it was time to leave the ER-verse
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

spazyak

• Bay Watcher
  • Imagine a working link to Rickroll here
    • View Profile
« Reply #29074 on: February 29, 2016, 09:10:21 pm »

It would be neat to see how things pan out after the end. To  hear the legend of Jackson- The flying idiot and his mighty steed, Draco the Alot! Hmm now  to start an order of knights...oh wait the union. Now to start the Alot breeding program.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Ravioli Ravioli, the old broad died so now I play a Demon Loli.
Sig-texts!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #29075 on: February 29, 2016, 09:10:29 pm »

And the ICELANDIC DEATH METAL BEAR.  Can't forget that.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29076 on: February 29, 2016, 11:02:03 pm »

1. ER beyond is the sort of game where enough time has passed and enough weird crap will have happened that the setting will be...you know how there's 40k and there's warhammer fantasy? And how they've got this similar concept war between factions and there are similar ideas like chaos gods and stuff, but a lot of the major pieces are different? Something like that. I mean, if a child of Xan, a Flesh Worshiping Homonculi with strange capacities to survive injury and graft body parts to himself, decides to partner with datascryer from the evergrowing metal womb of Heah and head into an expansive Black mist hive thats lost it's connection to the voices of the creators, Are we too derivative?  Because thats what I'm thinking of going for. Humanity is gonna get weird.

Well, it looks like Post-ER will have no place for me either.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29078 on: February 29, 2016, 11:13:01 pm »

If I may ask, what exactly do you dislike about it?  Do you just dislike that sort of setting, or something else?

It's the "I'm special because I chose to be special" thing.  No effort or accomplisment.  Coming up with a good idea, but finding it useless because there's someone who does it a million times better or trumps it utterly because of a choice to be special.

If I want to do something, I'd have to make it my hat.  No room for a generalist, because everything weird and everyone's got to be special.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #29079 on: February 29, 2016, 11:16:50 pm »

Humanity is gonna get weird.
Cool beans, let's get weird.

Sigged and quoted.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #29080 on: February 29, 2016, 11:58:45 pm »

Dev... Well, I kinda prefer you disliking postER, since that's another vote for a different game and therefore a step closer to MMWW, but aren't you jumping to conclusions a bit?  Yes, the two characters mentioned in that quote are quite hatty, but that doesn't mean only hatty characters will work.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29081 on: March 01, 2016, 12:06:22 am »

I don't mind what -verse the postER is.

I just really, really like the flavour of ER and I want to see it continue to have that flavour.

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29082 on: March 01, 2016, 12:10:50 am »

I don't mind what -verse the postER is.

I just really, really like the flavour of ER and I want to see it continue to have that flavour.

+1 summed it up perfectly.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29083 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:15 am »

Dev... Well, I kinda prefer you disliking postER, since that's another vote for a different game and therefore a step closer to MMWW, but aren't you jumping to conclusions a bit?  Yes, the two characters mentioned in that quote are quite hatty, but that doesn't mean only hatty characters will work.

Perhaps.  Still though, can you name a situation where hatty characters exist and you didn't need a hat to be successful?  It's either hats or no hats, and 'humanity is weird' is definately a hat situation.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 12:15:54 am by Devastator »

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #29084 on: March 01, 2016, 12:24:10 am »

Most places there's a niche for non-hats. Because they're useful for pretty much everything.
Pages: 1 ... 1937 1938 [1939] 1940 1941 ... 2205