Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2427729 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2820 on: April 15, 2014, 08:49:23 pm »

If I remember correctly, slow is good, fast is devastating and forms nice, sharp spikes to lyce cells with :P
Slow lets the crystals form. If you can cool the water quickly enough, and without jostling it, you can get it to A. be liquid below freezing and, more usefully, B. make it freeze in a glassy, non-jagged-crystal form.

Not sure where you're getting dehydration, though.
Hell if I know.

I think one solution might've been to flush the person's blood and replace it with glycerin or something.
That's to keep cells oxygenated while they're being frozen.

"It is a common mistaken belief that cells will lyse (burst) due to the formation of ice crystals within the cell, since this only occurs if the freezing rate exceeds the osmotic loss of water to the extracellular space. However, damage from freezing can still be serious; ice may still form between cells, causing mechanical and chemical damage." Here's a study on it, the above is a simplification. Also explains the dehydration bit, which I didn't know before.

I'd say slow cooling is better, neh?

And glycerin does not work as oxygen transport (nor is oxygen transport needed - cryopreservation stops metabolism, so what's using the oxygen?). It is an antifreezing agent, keeping the water (presumably that which came from the cells) liquid. It's even used by some arctic salamanders.

How does this immobilize us? That would basically coat us in a layer of frost, and that's about it.
It's a very thick layer of frost.

Must be.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 08:52:32 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2821 on: April 15, 2014, 09:13:00 pm »

I'll freely admit that it's been a long time since I've read anything on cryo...is cryogenics the thing where they freeze dead people to revive them later?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: April 15, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »

Pretty much, yeah
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2823 on: April 15, 2014, 09:24:25 pm »

I'll freely admit that it's been a long time since I've read anything on cryo...is cryogenics the thing where they freeze dead people to revive them later?

Well, cryonics. Cryogenics is just working with things at very low temperatures.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: April 15, 2014, 09:50:52 pm »

Cryonics, cryogenics, cryobiology...it's all a chilly blur.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2825 on: April 15, 2014, 09:52:13 pm »

So... is Nav interested in a faustian contract? :P
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2826 on: April 15, 2014, 10:13:13 pm »

I just want my brain thawed and reanimated with space magic. Don't see how that's faustian. It's not like they're modifying anything.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2827 on: April 15, 2014, 10:14:49 pm »

Yeah, but I have a feeling being partially assimilated and revived by Xan would have better odds. Interested?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2828 on: April 15, 2014, 10:44:30 pm »

Thing is I dunno if Dubley's permadead or not.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2829 on: April 15, 2014, 10:46:51 pm »

Well, with you rolling a seven, I assume the air in the room has been frozen. That and the fact that he froze through his MKI, which has been stated to be a near perfect insulator leads me to believe that he is not in fact, revivable. That and only part of his brain was frozen. That doesn't usually end well.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2830 on: April 15, 2014, 10:48:10 pm »

Is being assimilated by a Xanling and reanimated as a meat marionette acceptable?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2831 on: April 15, 2014, 10:54:57 pm »

Well, depending on how much of the brain I have to rebuild! he might retain his personality.
What I'm wondering is how he died on an End roll of 6 while Morul and Simus lived on a roll of 4.
Sig! Onol

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2832 on: April 15, 2014, 11:36:30 pm »

Likely just the misfortune of having his head targeted for the overshot effect. As far as I recall, PW aims that kind of thing randomly.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2833 on: April 16, 2014, 12:13:14 am »

Ah.
I seriously have to get a decomp though; I think I've rolled only 6+whatevers since I got my amp.
Sig! Onol

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2834 on: April 16, 2014, 05:15:30 am »

We're also both full robots, and he was just a man.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 187 188 [189] 190 191 ... 2205