Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2502417 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2475 on: April 09, 2014, 03:02:49 pm »

Well, I'd say a laser rifle is a good first buy, if only because it stays relatively useful. A MkII suit is also handy, but will cost you all your starting tokens at once, so you'll be weaponless. You could try your hand at a nyars package. But, eh, that's a big risk, nog guarantees you'll get anything useful.

As for speech, I don't think you can actually boost allies like a d&d bard could. But then again, I've never been teamed up with someone with high speech, so I wouldn't know.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: April 09, 2014, 03:04:52 pm »

If you want to play support, stuff that actually disables enemies (EMP, IR smoke and flash grenades) would be advisable since combat diplomancy doesn't work in ER. And a MkII to survive at least your first mission would be a very good buy.

And I have no idea why Corsair's character decided to freak out and kill unarmed civilians with a mining laser since he has a robot samurai in his team.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: April 09, 2014, 03:07:23 pm »

Ok, so I've pretty much done my run of "running around the ship not knowing whats going on" thing, It's probably time to start setting my character up for when he is able to participate in a mission. The wiki doesn't really have a quickstart guide, so would anyone have some suggestions on what I should spend my 5 tokens on? I have 5 charisma, 2 speach, and 1 skill point in conventional weapons. I'll probably play this guy bard type? Boosting allies and confusing enemies? Would a speach decompensator be worth saving up for?

The wiki has a new player section, but yeah, no recommendations for gear 'cause there's so many options. Though there's been talk about doing that, so maybe it'll get added later.

My advise would be to buy at least one thing to defend yourself with. A laser or gauss rifle if CON is the only weapon stat you've got points in. And if your first mission turns out to be the kind where weapons are useless you can still trade it in for full refund.

Also, Miya might be able to build you something for free, if you have an idea.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: April 09, 2014, 03:09:26 pm »

SpeechEdit

People with low level of skill and no decompensators can use it to terrorize civilians, cause misunderstandings and speak in the most hilarious of ways. People who are competent with speech and have a speech decompensator however should be able to mind control teammates via speech, persuade civilians to do things, make inspiring speeches and increase the effectiveness of their Neural Connector Psychokinetic Amplifier (the mind control amp).

Crap, that blurb made me think that I could have made speech a useful skill
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))
The fedora guy has potentially lethal amounts of swag :v

darkpaladin109

• Bay Watcher
  • has no intention of returning here
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: April 09, 2014, 03:12:20 pm »

So, uh, what happens to me now that I got reduced to a brain?
I assume I'l have to wait till the end of the mission first?
Also sorry for asking propably obvious questions.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: April 09, 2014, 03:14:19 pm »

Look at usage statistics. How often do overloads spring up?
More often than not, I'd say, because nobody typically uses manipulators if they haven't got at least a +1, which means a 1/3 chance of it overshooting, 1/3 of a chance of it doing diddly squat and 1/3 chance of it doing roughly what you want it to. And the dice hate manipulator use. 6+1s abound, to say nothing of the 6+2s. So no. Manipulators are not safe more often than not. How could you even make that mistake? Did you even read Mission 10?

To be fair, "overload" is an actual term used by PW, to describe when somebody inputs stupid parameters into their manip.  See: China-9, Ice-9.  Both were apocalyptic, both had insane parameters.

Empi, while your first point stands, we've pretty much got proof that the Doc is VonNost now.  And VonNost was very important to the creation of ghostships, which are about the pinnacle of UWM Space Magic, and have some seriously eldritch design features.

I'd say the doctor knows more than anyone else on the Sword about space magic.  Possibly more than anyone else alive.
We, the players have proof. Grate, the character does not. My point is based on the latter. Also, that had to do with their use, not their internals.
I said your first point -that Grate couldn't know- was valid.  I was arguing against your second point, stating that the Doctor didn't do much with space magic.

And I remember PW's description of the inside of a ghostship, with all the stasis pods, said the architecture was wonky and eldritch.

Oh and its pretty darn obvious those batteries dont contain electricity.

Actually, they do!  They output 4 TPU for a moment, twenty times.  Therefore, they have equal power output to one laser rifle battery, except that one of those can continually output energy for thirty seconds.  *The more you know*

Especially since the required presence of a human mind for basically everything space-magicky implies that the power source for normal space magic could just be the human mind...especially given how automanips are a heck of a lot more expensive than normal ones.

While this seems entirely valid, PW has said there is nothing special about/inherent in human minds that allows Space Magic.  That doesn't mean it doesn't require intelligence, but for all we know a dolphin might be sufficient.  Or a Haebi.

@Sean's picture
That is awesome.  Too bad Paris beat me to uploading it :P

@Kedly
Ignore the MKII suggestion.  It just makes you useless weight, and has less functionality than a standard robot body.  You should hope to get chopped in half on your first mission. 

That said, if you're really concerned about survival, get a civil defender's longcoat and a laser rifle.  You'll be more likely to suvive things than someone with an MKII, and you won't be useless.  Just... charge a dynamic bonus before shooting the gun.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: April 09, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »

-snip-
Yup, you're in the brain club now. Now we just hibernate in our brainboxes in the hopes that the rest of teams succesfully capture the ships and take us back to the sword.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: April 09, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »

Crap, that blurb made me think that I could have made speech a useful skill

I suppose Speech can be useful when dealing with other humans, but it will hardly help when aliens/automated anythings/natural phenomenons are in the course of trying and, probably, succeeding in killing you.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: April 09, 2014, 03:23:42 pm »

So, uh, what happens to me now that I got reduced to a brain?
I assume I'l have to wait till the end of the mission first?
Also sorry for asking propably obvious questions.

It can certainly be useful, but remember the HMRC/ARM often goes against aliens and the like, so you might not wanna bank on that being your sole way of survival/defense/usefulness. And yes, it is normal you'll be weak and squishy and have less options in the beginning, but trust me: it gets better.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: April 09, 2014, 03:26:05 pm »

Radio, I think I have the remains of a repairbot that was loose in the tunnels. If you want it, I can give it to ya, and although it's going to need to be repaired, it's already got arms and legs.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: April 09, 2014, 03:28:14 pm »

Kk, the long coat and laser rifle sounds like a good start
((No.  ER Lasers are tickle generators, and dispense hugs, loves, and puppies.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2486 on: April 09, 2014, 03:36:48 pm »

Radio, I think I have the remains of a repairbot that was loose in the tunnels. If you want it, I can give it to ya, and although it's going to need to be repaired, it's already got arms and legs.

Really? Hmm, interesting. Well, I'll have to check IC if they'd work (and I'll probably have to pay something anyway to hook 'em up to the Avatar's neuroports) but it's an interesting idea. I'll try to remember to ask Morul once he's back on the planet.

And hey, even if not maybe we can incorporate parts of that thing into the hunter CPU project. Should really get working on that someday.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: April 09, 2014, 03:37:34 pm »

The popcorn was necer eaten.
"Necer"?
And yes it was.
Told you I could do this as long than you.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: April 09, 2014, 03:41:33 pm »

"Necer"?
And yes it was.
Maturity.

Kedly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: April 09, 2014, 03:43:42 pm »

"Necer"?
And yes it was.
Maturity.
god that link is amazing xD
Pages: 1 ... 164 165 [166] 167 168 ... 2205