Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2502571 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #2340 on: April 07, 2014, 01:50:06 pm »

I've had no opportunity to think of and propose this in-character yet, but in principle, wouldn't it be possible for Miyamoto to telepresence himself? He's more than adequately equipped to control a human-sized remote-controlled synthoid shell, that could be stored in/on the Avatar and used as the situation requires.
A terrific idea, if not for one small thing: monies, and my lack of ever having enough of them.
But on that topic: I've been thinking for quite some time about taking a standard robobody, getting/paying the Doc to put some brains in it, then augment it's capabilities by integrating the hunterbot CPU from mission 7. I'd use it as a supportive npc/tool (kinda like a gunnerbot) to make up for Miya's giant size and lacking supportive abilities.
Well yes, a standard robobody was what I meant. I really like the term "synthoid" though. :P All you really need is a robobody Sod with a brain wired for minimal autonomy and the capability to receive direct control input and feedback via implant. I'm sure your General benefits will allow you to just requisition one of the Sods we have already, and the necessary modifications can be done for relatively cheap.

Also, I don't think I played enough of FFVII to even get to the point with Aeris.

...that was FFVII, right?

But I did find Alys Brangwin's death in PSIV quite saddening.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 01:52:03 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2341 on: April 07, 2014, 02:43:28 pm »

Or are you still upset about Aerith  :P
Oh no. Unmarked spoilers. No.
Sorry. I was pretty shaken myself when she lost that cooking contest. But it was worth it in the end when she turned Sephiroth (who turned out to be her long lost brother!) nice again with the power of luurve.
I'm joking.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2342 on: April 07, 2014, 02:46:49 pm »

But I did find Alys Brangwin's death in PSIV quite saddening.

I was pretty shocked myself. Maybe that's why IDGAF when Aeris died. Alys was waaaay more likeable and Phantasy Star 4 did that twist first. Plus it wasn't a case of 'too dumb to get out of the way' so much as it was 'took a (dark magic) bullet and despite Chaz's best efforts died from the wounds anyway' which is more effective to me.

Plus Wren is way more awesome than any character in FF7. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2343 on: April 07, 2014, 03:01:32 pm »

FF7 is a good game- not groundbreaking or incredible or anything.

Though I have to respect Cid in that one for lighting dynamite with his cigarette.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2344 on: April 07, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

FF7 is a good game- not groundbreaking or incredible or anything.

Though I have to respect Cid in that one for lighting dynamite with his cigarette.
If you ever watch the old Soviet classic film "The White Sun of the Desert", make note of the scene where Sukhov lights a cigarette with his dynamite. Well, it's technically not "his", but it was given to him (lit) when he asked for a light, so...

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2345 on: April 07, 2014, 03:14:41 pm »

@PW: Yeah, I'm pretty sure Rinnegan is the most recent overpowered ability in Naruto. I dunno what it does, just that it's yet another eye technique. I'd smack Sean for even bringing it up but the Phantasy Star 4 mention gets him a pass this time. :P
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2346 on: April 07, 2014, 04:00:07 pm »

Team H, Starfleet Command - Anton Chernozorov

With the ships poised to attack and waiting for the right moment, and his old Kappa team command seat firmly occupied by another person, Anton takes the opportunity for a few minutes of downtime, and takes out his datapad.

Start a new program project based on the components of the advanced drone OS that don't involve actually flying the drone - the optical object recognition, parallax distance estimation, and LOS extension by relative coordinates programs. The new program must be able to take readings from multiple sources that transmit their relative coordinates, estimate the relative position and distance of the chosen targets, and correlate object databases between its instances running in parallel in different places. Then make it able to take readings from multiple cameras at each source.
In effect, it should be able to, given a target object with known shape, immediately recognize it when it comes into view of any cameras mounted at any source point, and have an estimate of its position and distance made known at all of those points, using relative position data and estimated target position. So that if several people have helmets with 360-degree camera coverage, and one person picks a target, then when that target comes into view of any of those people, all of them are made aware of what direction it's in and approximately how far it is.
Save any progress made on the program under "Reactive Identification of Noticed Nonspecific Entities via General Awareness Network" - codename "RINNEGAN".

...is dat a freaking naruto reference.

It is, yes. It's an eye technique that, among the various overpowered deus-ex-machina things it does, allows all of its users to be aware of what any given one of them is seeing. This thing was in plans since before I started modifying mapping drones, I just implemented parts of it when they seemed to be useful, and now I'm putting them together. It didn't have to be a Naruto reference, I'll concede that point. Just figured I might as well have fun with the acronym. :P

edit: would it be better if I renamed it to a "Reactive Awareness and Identification via Distributed Estimation Network"?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 04:15:53 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2347 on: April 07, 2014, 06:48:17 pm »

Steve Saint actually already wrote that program.  I didn't go into as much detail as you, although that was just to be nice to PW.  And I think I made it only highlight things as large or larger than a person.

Also, PW disallowed it from having any real effect aside from amp/manip people being able to target through walls.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2348 on: April 07, 2014, 06:56:20 pm »

Yeah, Saint kind of upstaged Anton in that regard, but his system is just a HUD. This one is a targeted tracking system. It's not going to be used for anything yet, but it'll be part of the OS for the Modular Combat Suit, so that the user can keep track of teammates' locations (whether or not he can see them), and of whatever targets the teammates have tagged, as part of a general Battlefield Awareness System.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2349 on: April 07, 2014, 07:48:06 pm »

Hmm.  I'm... not sure what the difference is?  I guess mine 'forgets' a target if nobody can see it.  I'm not sure how that's a bad thing though- the only use might be if it could recognize a face, and therefore a VIP.  And it's rife with problems- what if it sees a new battlesuit, who is undamaged, and thinks that it's an damaged one?

Also, I actually have a 'note' on my phone that contains a bunch of different programs I want to make and combine into a unified battle system.  It's just designed with MK suits in mind.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2350 on: April 07, 2014, 08:11:11 pm »

Something occurred to me.

Jim wants to go back to his old body when he gets out of ARM. However, if I'm not mistaken, he's lived most of his life with four arms. Will he adapt to having half the hands, or will he ask for extra arms on what is otherwise his normal body?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2351 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:15 pm »

Well, he did have only two arms for 1/3rd of his life. I'm sure he'll adapt back to it fairly quickly.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2352 on: April 07, 2014, 08:56:59 pm »

Something occurred to me.

Jim wants to go back to his old body when he gets out of ARM. However, if I'm not mistaken, he's lived most of his life with four arms. Will he adapt to having half the hands, or will he ask for extra arms on what is otherwise his normal body?
You have a very short memory of when Jim had 2 arms. Because the 4-armed one? Just when he went into the HMRC.

And he lived quite a longer life outside of it.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #2353 on: April 07, 2014, 08:58:57 pm »

I was going to say the same thing, Tir, but then I remembered the year-long timeskip on Hephaestus. >.>; So, 1/3rd of his life with only two arms.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2354 on: April 07, 2014, 09:05:49 pm »

Yo guys, I was wondering, are Sods inherently better than AI-based Robots that could perform the same duty? Why do we use them instead of the latter?
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 155 156 [157] 158 159 ... 2205