Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485535 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #23355 on: October 10, 2015, 06:55:18 pm »

ALSO if you want to test SAMURAI SLASHDOWN then get in the IRCs bro.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23356 on: October 10, 2015, 07:12:41 pm »

I like how people say that the Spider Droid is the ultimate in medical technology and always aces its rolls and is sooo awesome but then Unholy uses words like 'inflict'.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #23357 on: October 10, 2015, 07:41:26 pm »

My favourite quote about computers is that they tend to do exactly what they are told (at least the mostly deterministic ones we use today).

Meaning that if you tell a perfectly programmed medic robot to do something wrong, it will do something wrong perfectly. And if you tell a perfectly programmed medic robot to do something vague it will either fail or choose an interpretation of your command and then execute it perfectly. And since it's a perfect medical droid, a bot that can execute all sorts of procedures but doesn't really understand what it's doing, why it's doing it or the intricacies of human communication, it's very likely to choose an interpretation different than the one you intended.

And considering this is a buggy version used in some war (Altered? Red Moon Rebellion? I don't remember.) it's even worse. One of the examples that was given about its malfunctions was it being told to sew a wounded soldier resulting in it sewing every hole (like the eyelids and mouth) in the soldier's body shut. Depending on your philosophy, either a badly designed UI or a device prone to User Errors.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23358 on: October 10, 2015, 08:45:34 pm »

So, anybody got suggestions for a new character?

There's an inspiration generator in my sig. Among others. Try to use one of them to make a character.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:57:55 pm by piecewise »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #23359 on: October 10, 2015, 08:54:26 pm »

Oh, I just noticed Root's 5 years older than Flint. Didn't think we'd get another old guy after that senile bureaucrat and his apology forms.
EDIT: About a new character: Choose the name Mi Yu Hi or something similar. That way, whenever someone says "He did it!" or "He can go to" you can respond "Hi did no such thing!". Talking with fake broken English optional.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:57:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23360 on: October 10, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »

There's an inspiration generator in my sig. Among others. Try to use one of them to make a character.

ICU sneaky PW, pointing me to your sig but carefully avoiding making your sig appear. Well I found it, strangely prophetic: Sole surviving heir of an upper-class family, driven to exile, ~joined the rebellion~.

Oh, I just noticed Root's 5 years older than Flint. Didn't think we'd get another old guy after that senile bureaucrat and his apology forms.
EDIT: About a new character: Choose the name Mi Yu Hi or something similar. That way, whenever someone says "He did it!" or "He can go to" you can respond "Hi did no such thing!". Talking with fake broken English optional.

Yeah methinks everybody would've treated him differently if they realized he's 72 years old. People tend to treat older people differently, for example, they don't call them "kiddo" (not that anyone did, I don't think).

Senile bureaucrat?

I like the name.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 09:05:16 pm by Moopli »

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23361 on: October 10, 2015, 09:06:47 pm »

Heh. The senile bureaucrat was the guy that kept making apology forms during the Ice-9 mission. That was a fun read. Forms for random murdering of the population, spraying xenospit in people faces, freezing the rioting populace...fun times
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23362 on: October 10, 2015, 09:15:42 pm »

Hmmm. I take that 34 miles are quite a bit more than what a Mk III can cover, to say nothing of the non-full fuel compartments. Hmmm...

I feel we'll need to create something. And... employ drastic measures. Oh well, let's see to it a few hours later when I come back and hopefully more team members have posted.
We've got a crashed shuttle, right here. I wonder if shuttle fuel would work in a MkIII's rocket pods?
Alternatively, this planet has asphalt roads, so it should have cars. We have enough fuel and carrying capacity to get the team at least as far as a parking lot, or something.

Konrad's MCP-A can keep up with a MkIII flying at top safe speed, and the Overcharge would allow him to carry two of our non-MkIII troopers long enough to reach the ship.

The MkIII exoskeletons would allow the wearers to run significantly further and faster than without them, so even when the fuel runs out the MkIIIs wouldn't be rendered immobile, if we can't find a vehicle to get us there for some reason.

(Just throwing out ideas. I'll say as much IC, assuming I survive the brain surgery.)

So first we find closest road, steal a car, drive to starport, steal a ship, get out of the system? This plan will work perfectly.

But it's a good question if shuttle's fuel is compatible with MKIII. We definitely should check it.

Sounds good. On my end, I was considering decapitating everyone (including Maurice, since his skillset isn't quite best here, I think) but one or two people (MCP-Aero plus two Mk IIIs either rigged into one monster thing or added on to the F-Sparrow) and sending them out with all the severed heads (in the cooler! there is a reason Maurice keeps lugging that thing around like a moron! :D), the camera (maybe stripped to the data-core, don't know), the QEC unit and maybe a few "artifact"/"non-standard" trinkets of people (because everything else can theoretically be restocked at Hephaestus, I desire to live long enough for that to actually come up as a problem), and then just beelining for the ship. Really depends on the amount of time we have.

I'd be fine with amps and synthflesh being gone, I think. I'd just hate to lose Pan. The thing I'd have most difficulty with in making a new character is actually forming relations again. With Pan at least I'm at the point where I got to be team leader though that didn't really work out great and some people trust him.

Same thing here, really. Maurice would not give up on his life easily... which totally does not correlate with me having just returned from watching "Martian". Honestly.
(Also, I saw that. You did fine.)

If you can find a way for that to be fun, consider going for a "real" criminal sentenced to HMRC. I think we've had quite enough of "not really criminals" around here, so actually being a crook of some kind is more of an exception, somehow. But only if you can make that work for you, because I know that roleplaying against your self is recipe for dissatisfaction and disinterest.
Edit: Ah, you already created the character, sorry. Well, you can use that advice for your next character!  :P

On amps and manips going out: To be honest, if we lose here, and it really "possesses" and takes away all our coolest space-magical toys, I don't know what would be of this game. Paracelsus's Sword would be over (because transportation and those fancy cannons, to say nothing of the passengers' lil' toys), ARM would be over (because problems similar to that of Paracelsus's Sword), but UWM would also be over (guess why! :P) and war itself would be over. All the "controlled" space magic would be hosts to strange, uncontrallable extrauniversal entity that defies laws of physics as we know it and comes to haunt us in our dreams. Space travel would very likely become impossible or very very dangerous; countless Worlds of Man would one by one be cut off from the rest as the QEC fuel dies out. The age of anarchy and barbarism would descend upon the humanity, allowing for foul xenos to rear up their ugly heads and come take a share of the galaxy pie.

...I believe I have already said that the whole "Einsteinian Roullete"-verse seemed like a setup for Warhammer 40000's "Dark Age of Technology"? Because if space magic becomes unstable and possessed by alien devil, with all the consequences it would entail, the match would finally be perfect.  ;D
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23363 on: October 10, 2015, 09:25:57 pm »

Dunh dunh dunh.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23364 on: October 10, 2015, 09:31:00 pm »

If you can find a way for that to be fun, consider going for a "real" criminal sentenced to HMRC. I think we've had quite enough of "not really criminals" around here, so actually being a crook of some kind is more of an exception, somehow. But only if you can make that work for you, because I know that roleplaying against your self is recipe for dissatisfaction and disinterest.
Edit: Ah, you already created the character, sorry. Well, you can use that advice for your next character!  :P

On amps and manips going out: To be honest, if we lose here, and it really "possesses" and takes away all our coolest space-magical toys, I don't know what would be of this game. Paracelsus's Sword would be over (because transportation and those fancy cannons, to say nothing of the passengers' lil' toys), ARM would be over (because problems similar to that of Paracelsus's Sword), but UWM would also be over (guess why! :P) and war itself would be over. All the "controlled" space magic would be hosts to strange, uncontrallable extrauniversal entity that defies laws of physics as we know it and comes to haunt us in our dreams. Space travel would very likely become impossible or very very dangerous; countless Worlds of Man would one by one be cut off from the rest as the QEC fuel dies out. The age of anarchy and barbarism would descend upon the humanity, allowing for foul xenos to rear up their ugly heads and come take a share of the galaxy pie.

...I believe I have already said that the whole "Einsteinian Roullete"-verse seemed like a setup for Warhammer 40000's "Dark Age of Technology"? Because if space magic becomes unstable and possessed by alien devil, with all the consequences it would entail, the match would finally be perfect.  ;D

I haven't finished preparing a replacement yet, and neither have I lost hope for Root. I like Root, I want him to live, but I also won't be bereaved if he dies, and Auron's anger is just too tempting a target for a belligerent old coot. So I figure I can have a new char ready, just in case :p

A DAOT game could still be a lot of fun -- mind-fights against demons every time you take the Warp, Chaos sowing its seeds everywhere, plenty of room for crazy missions. If the universe's parameters change so much, the rules of the game change too. Maybe the AM would come on missions (or stay on-ship but work with Steve to provide mental shielding for the troops), maybe the Doctor would pull out all stops and turn everyone into an abomination more-capable of surviving the madness. The QEC communications should still work, at least.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23365 on: October 10, 2015, 09:56:12 pm »

join game irc help no-one plays

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #23366 on: October 10, 2015, 10:05:19 pm »

I don't know about you guys but I would totally play a spinoff of ER where the space god basically tears down civilisation as we know it but many hundreds of years later they have Warhammer style Warp-speed and you play as an explorer, zooming around to alien worlds, warped by this creature that is not from our universe, and rejoining civilisations.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23367 on: October 10, 2015, 10:11:48 pm »

I don't know about you guys but I would totally play a spinoff of ER where the space god basically tears down civilisation as we know it but many hundreds of years later they have Warhammer style Warp-speed and you play as an explorer, zooming around to alien worlds, warped by this creature that is not from our universe, and rejoining civilisations.
I don't think we have enough Piecewise to make that work.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23368 on: October 10, 2015, 10:26:26 pm »

I'll be happy to join anytime!
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23369 on: October 10, 2015, 10:34:22 pm »

I'll be happy to join anytime!
now would be good thanks
Pages: 1 ... 1556 1557 [1558] 1559 1560 ... 2205