Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487057 times)

AkumaKasai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #23160 on: October 09, 2015, 04:56:28 pm »

And it's more of an RP action and less of an actual one. There's not much she can do about it and I thought it would be an in character thing to do.
I'm pretty sure murdering a kid in cold blood is a bit more than just RP.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23161 on: October 09, 2015, 04:57:12 pm »

Last minute actions are used for quickly finishing up conversations or obtaining gear, stuff like that. Paris, as far as I can tell, only started this interaction with AbstractTraitorHero when he should had already been on mission. It's different.

It's not even just a simple RP action. You're force feeding another character hallucinogens then chopping off her head, which needs GM involvement and has potential to go very wrong. There are plenty of other people who can handle this.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:05:48 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23162 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:29 pm »

Flint shouldn't even be there to give you xenospit or chop your head off. The mission's started.
Why not? It's not like everything is happening at the same time. There is fluid time, allowing actions and conversations to happen in the past, people have done that before.

And it's more of an RP action and less of an actual one. There's not much she can do about it and I thought it would be an in character thing to do.
It's because you can't (or at the very least really shouldn't) be in two game-places at the same time.
Sure you can. Extending your time on ship for one more turn with an important last second action can be done, if piecewise is nice. Lots of people have done it before for RP reasons or last second purchases, including Milno and Lars. So why not me?

Edit: Because it's not at the same time! It's in the past!
The difference for me is that the things you listed can't go wrong, as odd as that sounds. Buying stuff is just book-keeping: you don't have a 1 in 10 to die when you visit the Armory. Saying "Bye" to someone or Lars giving out blessings or whatever can't really screw up. What you're doing can definitely screw up: what happens if the kid manages to retaliate? What happens if someone else wants to pick a fight with you because of your action?

Last minute actions are used for quickly finishing up conversations or obtaining gear, stuff like that. Paris, as far as I can tell, only started this interaction with AbstractTraitorHero when he should had already been on mission. It's different.
NAV gets it.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm still alive, how fortunate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23163 on: October 09, 2015, 05:13:20 pm »

Hell if shes still conscious shes trying to rip out flints throat with her teeth.

and someone else is trying to stop flint from doing this this is not just a last minute action this is basically life or death combat. 

with many possible charcter developments or different outcomes so this a major action definitely
plus if she stays conscious shes screaming for the armory master so this has the potential to go very very wrong for all involved. 

for example flint could get his throat torn out the people who are helping abigail could easily get stabbed and if flint gets a bad roll you could cleave abigails head apart in otherwords best scenario steve knocks everyone unconscious.  (Better?)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:31:09 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »
((I just facepalmed so hard I have a concussion))
Rip Abigail South Death by Drop pod my avatar is now morbid.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23164 on: October 09, 2015, 05:17:38 pm »

Hell if shes still conscious shes trying to rip out flints throat with her teeth and someone else is trying to stop flint from doing this this is not just a last minute action this is basically life or death combat with many possible charcter developments or different outcomes so this a major action definitely plus if she stays conscious shes screaming for the armory master so this has the potential to go very very wrong for all involved for example flint could get his throat torn out the persons who's helping abogail could easily get stabbed and if flint gets  a bad roll you could cleave abigails head apart in otherwords best scenario steve knocks everyone unconscious
You have got to work on punctuation, line breaks, something.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23165 on: October 09, 2015, 05:19:38 pm »

At which point I point out that
Tackle
is a valid action and does have precedence.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23166 on: October 09, 2015, 05:27:33 pm »

Yes line breaks good idea

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #23167 on: October 09, 2015, 05:34:19 pm »

Well, the way I see it, it was a near-perfect ambush, withholding the knowledge of what exactly was in the drink until the last moment (and thus corresponding to lack of OOC "prescience") - this is how PvP is ought to be done, preferably with secret pms to GM and all that.

Why almost? Well, because of not waiting for the other player to take the bait while posting merry "give a drink" action; the "hold and cut throat" had to follow up afterwards, in the next turn. However, I understand the reasons here, and thus don't criticise the non-perfect execution of the plan too much.

To Abigail's side? Well, since (theoretically) there should not be any IC knowledge of treachery, the survival has to depend not on actions, but on side details and passive abilities. For example, I find it reasonably likely that she could get some illusions from just sniffing the vapours, and thus have IC reason to become suspicious of Flint - remember, Xeno-spit comes with a dropper for a reason; it's 4 drops that put you straight into "unconscious" territory, I think? (note that, however, should she accept the offering and drink - chug, gulp down, etc. - I'd say thorough unconsciousness is the least that would follow). Furthermore, I believe that it is exactly a time when Intuition skill is ought to be rolled for a player character about-to-be-betrayed: it fits the original skill description (that with grenades unexpectedly coming into latrines, and so on) almost perfectly, after all. Finally, if the recipient of ambush had a neuro-reading amp, I'd also offer a chance of "reading" the minds of would-be ambushers at the last possible moment to avoid being caught flat-footed and defenseless. However, a proper ambush - trap, assassination attempt, etc. - ought to be lethal and very hard to dodge, because it's its very point.

As for "split time" - I say, put the mission start on hold and let them deal out with the situation, possibly in an expedited way (i.e. "no one except combatants and joining participants post actions" and make several small focused updates twice in more rapid succession (2x update rate, for example)). There is now a long-standing tradition of f*cking up missions even before the deployment, and some of the conflicts have become quite iconic and legendary, so I don't believe we should interfere with another contender entry for Hall of (Shameful) Fame of HMRC/ARM.

Anyway, to both main participants of the conflict: good luck!  :) However the fight ends, it would certainly provide worthy RP-material. And that is what matters in the long run.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #23168 on: October 09, 2015, 05:37:13 pm »

Paris, as far as I can tell, only started this interaction with AbstractTraitorHero when he should had already been on mission.
No I didn't. The xeno-spit was offered before the on ship thread action happened. Unfortunately, she chose to take it after the turn happened.

Anyway, it makes sense to me and some others, it doesn't make sense to different others. There's no point arguing over what is a matter of perspective. It's piecewise that will decide.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23169 on: October 09, 2015, 05:39:31 pm »

Wait wat is someone trying to drug and decapitate a 12 year old girl? I haven't been following properly.
One wheel short of a wagon

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23170 on: October 09, 2015, 05:40:22 pm »

Yes so basically this should be rewinded and have piecewise roll some rolls for treachery
abigail has plus 1 intuition so she has a better then most chance of detecting it
plus the post that i put had her thoughts rather hesistant and unsure of flint
but i will tell you i certainly did not see this coming

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23171 on: October 09, 2015, 05:40:53 pm »

Wait wat is someone trying to drug and decapitate a 12 year old girl? I haven't been following properly.
yes my character Abigail south. And shes actually 14
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 05:44:02 pm by AbstractTraitorHero »

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #23172 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:26 pm »

Said teenage girl is acting erratically, has a psychokinetic amplifier in her head, and was about to attempt to use it on-ship against ARM troopers (non-lethally, in theory, but come on, it's an amp). So it's arguably justifiable. (The decapitation bit not so much, but it's at least an IC response to screwing up incapacitating ampers in the past.)

AbstractTraitorHero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23173 on: October 09, 2015, 05:51:29 pm »

Definitely decapitation part not justified
 Flint had calmed her down. AND Now hes trying to drug and decapitate a 14 year old after she has stopped trying to harm anyone

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23174 on: October 09, 2015, 05:52:29 pm »

Definitely decapitation part not justified
 Flint had calmed her down. AND Now hes trying to drug and decapitate a 14 year old after she has stopped trying to harm anyone
You come back.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 1543 1544 [1545] 1546 1547 ... 2205