Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2489678 times)

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #22215 on: September 18, 2015, 06:55:08 am »

I'm not really fond of the gut factory, but others on both lists are pretty interesting to me.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22216 on: September 18, 2015, 08:40:24 am »

I'm not really fond of the gut factory, but others on both lists are pretty interesting to me.
What. You don't want to be able to eat a few pounds of metal and a capsule and then vomit up a gun without any rolls?

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #22217 on: September 18, 2015, 08:42:31 am »

What. You don't want to be able to eat a few pounds of metal and a capsule and then vomit up a gun without any rolls?

Vomiting up a gun doesn't sound that good, you know. I mean, on the one hand you have a gun, but on the other you have to push it up your guts and through your throat.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22218 on: September 18, 2015, 08:48:37 am »

That's only really more effective than just buying the gun if you're going incognito and also can have a diet of metal secretly and also have ammo for the gun.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22219 on: September 18, 2015, 08:56:52 am »

That's only really more effective than just buying the gun if you're going incognito and also can have a diet of metal secretly and also have ammo for the gun.
Well, Like I said these aren't specifically aimed at ER. ER is a bit spoiled with how easy they have access to weapons after all.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22220 on: September 18, 2015, 09:38:03 am »

Pretty much, yeah. It seems to be a pretty quirky way to get complex tools, and gross to boot. It seems, not only far fetched, but somehow more complicated and intrusive than other means that would also be available if this tech existed.

Though, mind you, I read a sci i story once where the world was pretty overpopulated, and men and women used their bodies essentially to create pre-programmed goods. The males would get their genetic material modified to produce anything from cheap, abundant stuff up to highly specific, complex, expensive stuff, and the women would either go the mass production route and usually end up poor, used up, andgood for little, or they'd carefully ration out how they produced, aiming for quality. the really lucky ones could birth 'ship-brains' or other humanesque brains for running factories and whatnot. And a really, really lucky person could become a parent, and actually raise kids - legal ones, I guess. I forget a few important points about the plot. But the point stands: there is sci fi precedence for genetically modified humans used as factory wombs.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22221 on: September 18, 2015, 10:06:15 am »

Pretty much, yeah. It seems to be a pretty quirky way to get complex tools, and gross to boot. It seems, not only far fetched, but somehow more complicated and intrusive than other means that would also be available if this tech existed.

Though, mind you, I read a sci i story once where the world was pretty overpopulated, and men and women used their bodies essentially to create pre-programmed goods. The males would get their genetic material modified to produce anything from cheap, abundant stuff up to highly specific, complex, expensive stuff, and the women would either go the mass production route and usually end up poor, used up, andgood for little, or they'd carefully ration out how they produced, aiming for quality. the really lucky ones could birth 'ship-brains' or other humanesque brains for running factories and whatnot. And a really, really lucky person could become a parent, and actually raise kids - legal ones, I guess. I forget a few important points about the plot. But the point stands: there is sci fi precedence for genetically modified humans used as factory wombs.

Imagine it in a different setting than er though, where premade goods are hard to get hold of.   Something like fallout, where you get this mod using some sort of automated doctor machine and then scavenge scrap and capsules to turn into weapons and goods. 

Think of it like a 3d printer. But with your guts. 

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22222 on: September 18, 2015, 10:09:31 am »

Assuming you mean 'something that can produce things that aren't weak' there.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22223 on: September 18, 2015, 12:40:47 pm »

I know this isn't meant to be here, but it's a pw rtd and I wouldn't like to interrupt rudely, so what the hell:

People in infinite heavens Tourist trap, be careful not to pull all the spikes out the monster. I may recognise this setup.
One wheel short of a wagon

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #22224 on: September 18, 2015, 12:53:48 pm »

People in infinite heavens Tourist trap, be careful not to pull all the spikes out the monster. I may recognise this setup.

Given the latest addition, we sure will leave these golden ones in it, they are huge. I will, however, try pulling at least something out, just so we know how bad it is. People got hold of something up on the back, hopefully they will be able to restrain the beast if things go down the tubes.

And, it would be good for ya if someone died at this point, wouldn't it? We are a bit over capacity with 7 people.
Don't forget you can assume control of non-responsive players! That is a good way to make way for your own character.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2015, 01:25:34 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22225 on: September 18, 2015, 12:58:15 pm »

I don't play... just watch. Kinda prefer it that way with some PW RTDs. Don't know why.

Obviously, in a few turns, someone will see this, vaguely remember it, and put "pull out all spears" as their action, which everyone will help with. :P
One wheel short of a wagon

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22226 on: September 18, 2015, 04:08:04 pm »

Imagine it in a different setting than er though, where premade goods are hard to get hold of.   Something like fallout, where you get this mod using some sort of automated doctor machine and then scavenge scrap and capsules to turn into weapons and goods. 

About the only setting I can think of where this particular mod would be justified in universe would be magical girl or wacky adventure anime, where cats routinely barf up exotic weapons and hammerspace is abused to the max. Oh, and anything with big cyborgs in it. Because apparently cyborgs are also magic. But then, in both of those, premades are usually pretty readily available anyway.

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but it really breaks my ability to willingly suspend disbelief, unless I have accepted the setting as nearly completely absurd anyway. And in that case, I tend to worry over the likelihood of the player being able to make any choices of significance in the game anyway.

Now, if I did join a setting in which these were used, I'd play it without complaint. Probably. I think.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22227 on: September 18, 2015, 04:14:13 pm »

Thing is, I'd usually assume that a capsule that you swallow to let you make things in your guts would be rarer than the thing you're making in the first place. And a setting where that's possible would probably have better ways to make things than that.
It might be helpful if you could make anything you can think of, or if the things were easy to make.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #22228 on: September 18, 2015, 04:25:26 pm »

nah, the Plan Catalyst is the only reasonable balancing factor in that equation. Removing that limitation takes this from the "rather exotic and OP body modification" category, straight into the "a wizard did it" zone.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #22229 on: September 18, 2015, 08:07:57 pm »

I'll be on IRC tonight as I edit video. Come yell at me.
Pages: 1 ... 1480 1481 [1482] 1483 1484 ... 2205