Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493548 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21960 on: September 08, 2015, 01:02:55 am »

Funny things from IRC:
<@Piecewise> wanna know something funny?
<@Piecewise> You know how the Doc is a good fighter? He's not a natural at it. He's just good with biology. But there is a natural fighter out there
<@Piecewise> one still alive
<@Piecewise> Oh god if you meet him
I propose the Elfman vs Bacchus combat method to counter this guy.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21961 on: September 08, 2015, 01:21:51 am »

Hrrrrhrhrhrhghrgjrghrgh so gonna eclipse that eventually

must become great must conquer must kill

Forgive me, I just watched Mad Max Fury Road, I'm on a high.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21962 on: September 08, 2015, 02:29:30 am »

So now we are having race up to the pyramid? This is gonna be good.

Funny things from IRC:
<@Piecewise> Well "Alive" is a hard term for the doc
<@Piecewise> If you are alive after the fight, then he is too
<@Piecewise> Technically, if any of you are, he is
<@Piecewise> That and about a million other people on other planets
<@Piecewise> You haven't had to see the doc use someone as a channel yet. That will be fun if that ever happens

<@Piecewise> wanna know something funny?
<@Piecewise> You know how the Doc is a good fighter? He's not a natural at it. He's just good with biology. But there is a natural fighter out there
<@Piecewise> one still alive
<@Piecewise> Oh god if you meet him

I'm so confused. Whatcha doing talking about me?

In all seriousness, though, which doc are you talking about? Maurice, or Von Nost?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21963 on: September 08, 2015, 02:46:12 am »

So, next project is Doc Storm, I assume?

In all seriousness, though, which doc are you talking about? Maurice, or Von Nost?

Presumably the Doctor. He's not quite Doctor von Nost, since he got executed. But he's something very much like him, and much less executable if I'm reading that bit right.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 02:47:52 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21964 on: September 08, 2015, 02:47:40 am »

Capital D Doctor. Hangs out in the infirmary, we apparently all have his cells in us so he could assimilate us and use us as a spare body whenever he likes, did body modifications on various people, target of Xan's obsessions.

So, next project is Doc Storm, I assume?
Honestly I think it was Doc's cell thing that gave Steve the idea for Green Storm.
Doc Storm would probably be a bit more permanent though.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21965 on: September 08, 2015, 02:49:42 am »

Honestly I think it was Doc's cell thing that gave Steve the idea for Green Storm.
Doc Storm would probably be a bit more permanent though.

But probably more effective. What situation couldn't you solve by conjuring the Altered at it with a snap of your fingers?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21966 on: September 08, 2015, 02:56:49 am »

...the altered?
Sig! Onol

renegadelobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21967 on: September 08, 2015, 03:06:21 am »

The body horrors that resulted in the creation of the UWM? What Xan was on his way to becoming? Ivan?
Well, it only hates Linux for now. If we could condition it to hate computer viruses, than hooray! Free, brutal virus protection! Unless you have Linux!

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21968 on: September 08, 2015, 03:18:52 am »

...the altered?

Well, of course. I don't suppose the Doctor is some other variety of fleshy horror that flagrantly violates the laws of physics, do you? And even if he isn't, do you think it's beyond him to imitate the Altered to a sufficient degree?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21969 on: September 08, 2015, 03:21:12 am »

He likely is, the Altered have been hinted for a while now to be space god's attempt at getting its soul/child/something important to it back, which is hidden in a particular system, likely Phobetor, wherever that is. Doc is something else.
Sig! Onol

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21970 on: September 08, 2015, 03:25:16 am »

He likely is, the Altered have been hinted for a while now to be space god's attempt at getting its soul/child/something important to it back, which is hidden in a particular system, likely Phobetor, wherever that is. Doc is something else.

But then there's also proto-Altered like Ivan and the traveling planet people, now also Cthunkan and presumably a whole lot of other subjects, and while there are undoubtedly many varieties of space magic present as the universe breaks more and more, the Doctor does appear to hearken back to a fun time of space magic-powered fleshwarping that is at the very least highly reminiscent of the Altered, if not the exact planet-eating variety we sort of know.

That, and he also seems to need regular sedation to not consume and destroy everything in his path, which does seem like a very Altered thing to do. At least a very Ivan thing to do, anyway.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 03:27:19 am by Harry Baldman »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21971 on: September 08, 2015, 03:27:17 am »

Hmm, very true. I'll have to look into whatever he's taking.
Sig! Onol

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21972 on: September 08, 2015, 04:26:23 am »

Irrelevant: Started reading Hugh Howey's "Sand" series. Some parts of it remind me of the Samsonite Abyss mission somewhat. Looks like great SF writers think alike.

"YOU FOOL, WHAT DID I SAY! Oh who am I kidding, fuck this shit."

Get to the pyramid first. Use my jump pack, amp toss myself, whatever. Just get to the Pyramid before Maurice, or what's left of him.
*starts playing the theme from "The bodyguard"...*
All you need now is a big NOOOO. Here, let Homer show you how it's done: https://youtu.be/Eal4fep7pK4

Moopli

• Bay Watcher
  • Free Spines Here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21973 on: September 08, 2015, 10:18:08 am »

((@Moopli the thing is, if you put a stat at -2, every time you roll it there is a 5/6 chance of Piecewise murdering you horribly. So... be warned.))
((FTFY
With a -2, whenever that stat is concerned, you need to roll 5 every time if you want to survive. Otherwise, bad things happen. And even when you roll a 5, things are still going to be bad, meaning you won't succeed as well as you could, because you only succeeded and survived due to blind luck.

That being said, gen. knowledge is not rolled that frequently. Most recent roll was from Lyra, I think.

Edit: responded here due to stupidity. Please respond in ooc.))
Except he was right that only roll of [1] at stat/skill of -2 usually causes inevitably death for a character (under no stress/with no special circustances). I can't find the proper quote right now, but Piecewise mentioned that much when he introduced the new system and discouraged the people from minmaxing. In that specific case referenced, I am pretty sure it was indeed [1] rolled on Med.

Of course, with stat of -2 a roll of [1] is likely to happen 5 times out of 6, for narrative reasons, so yeah, you might be correct in a way.  ;)

Dropped off the face of the universe for a bit. Now that I'm back: I wanted that -2 General Knowledge. My dude spent a lifetime living probably 2 millennia ago, and he was a reclusive scientist moreover, so everything he knows is pretty much wrong, apart from the stuff he spent his past life researching. I know he could quite easily kill himself completely through sheer bloodyminded wrongheadedness, unless he obsessively unlearns a lifetime's worth of random knowledge and relearns the things fitting his current state. OOC, that would be me pumping exp into General Knowledge to shore up that major issue. I like playing characters with achilles' heels, and ER is a great place for that, cuz an achilles' heel will lead either a comedic death or character development. Old, frail, smart, but beyond incorrect except regarding his specific field. Should be a fun time. "Trust me, the aliens are friendly!" "Back in my day we opened doors by repeatedly bashing our testicles into them... Mmmmmm, good old days, wish I was there still..."

If you guys still think I'm gimping myself too much for a new player (ie, it'll suck so much it won't even be !!FUN!!), I guess I could cut down a bonus to drop that malus. But I do want to try playing that malus straight, even if it kills me Root.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21974 on: September 08, 2015, 10:45:04 am »

I believe that -2 on gen.know. is just because of stasis dementia.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.
Pages: 1 ... 1463 1464 [1465] 1466 1467 ... 2205