Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1455 1456 [1457] 1458 1459 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494558 times)

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21840 on: September 05, 2015, 03:58:20 pm »

The wiki puts the man sized avatar cloak at 13 tokens... and it is as dense as lead.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21841 on: September 05, 2015, 04:15:34 pm »

Did AM just mix up two different things?

It could be that the Avatar and Arbiter cloaks are the exact same thing. I mean, how many different varieties of protective cloak could there possibly be?

Many, I imagine.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21842 on: September 05, 2015, 04:25:39 pm »

And let us not start on, say, Walking Bastion (aka Magister's Cloak, IIRC)... :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21843 on: September 05, 2015, 05:38:42 pm »

Lenglon, I think you and your character were put in a really uncomfortable situation for both of you, but I do think it was IC realistic. Sorry. I do sympathize though.
Actually I was the least affected of everyone. I was tempdead and unable to percieve or act in any way. I don't deserve your sympathy - everyone ELSE on deep team does, but i don't.

Remind me to have a talk about this with NAV, who incidently triggered a nice long IRC conversation about people being temp-dead and in braincases.  I'm not sure who it was, but I got to hear a pretty convincing case that people in braincases could never, ever, count as temp-dead.

Also, I did care about my character.  I had goals in mind when I created him.  Those goals were incompatable with the change in direction of the game that was announced before I went on my first mission.  What I should have done was change the character to be compatable with the game as it was, rather than as I wanted it to be.  What I did instead was bull ahead, caused myself a lot of pain, and decided he would rather do something about being stuck in a situation he disliked, instead of living the happy life of being opposed to everything that goes on about him while doing nothing about his own situation.  I wanted him to die because making someone play a character that doesn't fit with the game is stupid, as is bending the game specifically to please a character who doesn't fit in.

At the end of the day, you are not the arbriter of the results of your actions.  If you want that to be the case, there are plenty of freeform roleplaying games and chatrooms for such that operate continually.  I want permadeath to be more common, because it means that you get to make a difference in what happens.  Having a low or no consequences button to bail you out means that you don't get to make a difference, in the end.  Same with having missions that are successful before you even begin.

In addition, the memorable events in the game are the enormous cock-ups, the permadeaths, the mission failures.  Those are the ones that go down in history and make this a game to be remembered.  Removing or reducing them would not make the game better.  I'm also not in favor of hundreds of deaths..  I think that a rate of 10% or so would be fine, and that has nine characters survive for each one that dies.  And yes, that would be only counting permadeaths, as the consequences of not-a-permadeath are mostly up to the player.

Green storm needs to have real consequences as well.  Very much needs to have real consequences beyond getting a talking to IC.  Right now, Myamoto has absolutely no reason not to hit the button immediately on every mission, and that's true regardless if Lyra ends up tongue-lashing him over it or not.  If nothing else, he has the absolute argument that because of Mya's actions, Lyra got back alive to tongue-lash him over it, and if you weren't happy being a slave, the door is to your left, and you should get the hell out of here.

I had a character for whom being controlled was unacceptable.  I did something about it, and have been suffering the consequences of that for a couple of years.

Also, your characters don't remember what happened when you were out.  All Lyra actually knows is that she got hit by the Arbriter, and then got hooked up a moment later to some cameyes in a braincase when running from the world exploding.  This is also an important bit to my 'mission was not a real success' argument, as none of you remembers what happened.  All you know is that you saw an AoP, got your asses kicked, and then woke up while running from the world exploding beneath your feet, and escaped in a shuttle under fire.  From that point of view, the idea that you failed a mission should be pretty natural.

And lastly, yes, I shouldn't complain so hard about a game that I don't play.  I also shouldn't claim the game is not low-consequence enough when I spend an entire mission going about asking 'where's miss Feyri', and get paid for that performance.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21844 on: September 05, 2015, 05:51:20 pm »

(I guess this was coming a long way...)

By the way, Devastator, would you theoretically be interested in joining the game again with a different character (had something happened to the original one)? Just asking this now because your reasoning sounded a lot like "I wanted to make another character, but before I decided to mop this one up. Unfortunately, I failed, so I am now stuck." Because if that is really how you feel, something could be arranged to free you from the confines of this particular character. I am asking this in good faith and with no malicious intent, of course - mercy kill, if you wish.

(This makes me think of reincarnation and wheel of rebirth...   ??? )
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21845 on: September 05, 2015, 06:17:55 pm »

I suspect it's partially spite driving him at this point. It certainly makes up a good percentage of my reasons for playing Xan after all this time. I'm not sure who I'm spitting exactly, but it's someone.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21846 on: September 05, 2015, 06:21:45 pm »

34 permadeaths so far. That's 10% of 340 characters.
6 permadeaths for characters with more than one mission: 10% of 60 experienced characters.

I don't know though ... the original figures Steve gave for mission fatality were much higher, to the point that only one in thousands would survive ten missions, and we've had two or three already. Not that I mind xD I'd like to survive that many. Only thing is, it's really hard to view "you win, now you can leave" as a reward, when it means said character is no longer part of the game. Plus: "I'll drop you o on a civilized planet somewhere and you can do what you like" is offered as something akin to a punishment, so the original "win" condition was Pyrrhic at best, even barring Steve's alleged use of the "winners" as brain fodder. Hence, experienced characters stick around as commanders.

I suspect it's partially spite driving him at this point. It certainly makes up a good percentage of my reasons for playing Xan after all this time. I'm not sure who I'm spitting exactly, but it's someone.
Fate, maybe? the RNG? Mom?

Goddammit Xantalos, you leave my mother out of this! I have plenty of spitetoward her for the both of us >:(

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21847 on: September 05, 2015, 06:59:37 pm »

<insert Freud joke here>

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21848 on: September 05, 2015, 06:59:49 pm »

Okaaay, should be getting DMR up within the next two days or so, if I can get the GM stuff figured out.

Quote from: piecewise
Stats: (20 points to allocate. 5 Points in a stat gives a 1/3 chance of +1. 10 gives 2/3, etc.)

So this was the stat/roll system. Does anyone know if he used a d6, and how he dealt with 1s, 2s, 3s etc in points? Would p points in a category give one a p/15 chance of rolling a 1?
One wheel short of a wagon

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21849 on: September 05, 2015, 07:02:39 pm »

Basically if you had 15 in a stat you got a +1 to rolls with that stat.
If you had 10 instead you'd get a +1 two thirds of the time.
If you had 5 you'd get a +1 one third of the time.
Sig! Onol

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21850 on: September 05, 2015, 07:17:13 pm »

Yes. But what if you have a 4? Do you get a +1 4/15 of the time?

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21851 on: September 05, 2015, 07:20:27 pm »

If you have a four yo ass don't get shit
Sig! Onol

Nunzillor

« Reply #21852 on: September 05, 2015, 07:21:02 pm »

No, the old system only worked in 5s if I recall correctly.
Ninja'ed.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21853 on: September 05, 2015, 07:25:47 pm »

Ok, that's useful, but why do some people have 3 in one stat and 2 in another? Or is that reductions by PW?

EDIT: It's not reductions, they still have 20 points total, I think.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21854 on: September 05, 2015, 07:32:01 pm »

Hoping to level up, I'd guess?
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 1455 1456 [1457] 1458 1459 ... 2205