Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495396 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21735 on: September 04, 2015, 12:35:16 am »

Quote from: Lenglon
Oh look, it's not me wanting personal freedom and enjoyable gameplay today.
Yes, it's the same issue, but I'm trying to keep it a lot more civil of a discussion than that one became.
Repeated offenses hamper the functions of my brains civility centre.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21736 on: September 04, 2015, 04:08:44 am »

Hmm. Where to begin...

Gonna spoiler it due to length.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #21737 on: September 04, 2015, 04:19:33 am »

You are right about Xan ought to have been tossed in a furnace severl times over :P Honestly I was surprised that people were willing to go so out of their way to preserve the fucker.

That decision won't wholly be regretted.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21738 on: September 04, 2015, 04:24:44 am »

There needs to be a public discussion about the basic right of a player to control their own character and how certain leadership individuals have been attempting to micromanage the players under their command right now. This has gotten out of hand. also, I'm not going to be accepting a single PM on the subject, and anyone that tries it will have their PM reposted in this thread as fast as I see it. RC's most recent ones have crystalized this issue for me.
I do agree that PMs are unnecessary and expressed that in response to said PM.

I am currenty very angry, but I'll try to keep this simple and clean. Leadership players are attempting to micromanage people to the point that the individual players have no right to choose their own fate anymore. That is wrong.

I am expecting a counterargument based on teamwork / performance.

I don't care.

The problem is the teamwork / performance argument is correct in of itself. a team that is nothing but the leader's sockpuppets will generally perform better, with no conflicting actions or waste, always having a plan, having perfect coordination etc. however it's not any fun for anyone but the leader, because nobody else is actually getting to play the game.
I disagree with that. People are don't always perform better when someone is micromanaging their every move. In fact, they usually perform worse. It's a good concept in RTSs because units only have basic AI (for example, they need to be told to move away from grenades), because you can't lay down a plan and let units adapt to the situation as necessary while only giving support and the necessary info or new general orders. But in real life, while people think that they can do a better job and that they can transfer their skill to others by telling them what to do, most of the time people just get overwhelmed or overlook the bigger picture or end up looking like that commander guy from Aliens. (I searched the intertubes for the entire scene where he talks about the incinerators, since I thought it would make a better fit, but I couldn't find it. Oh well, I assume everyone has seen Aliens. And if you haven't you can find it in programs like popcorntime or websites like putlocker.)

Anyway, for my character and my opinion, as I've said in the past is, keep things IC. Anyone tries to order me around or reprimand me OOC, they'll get ignored. And if they try to do so IC, I'll welcome it and respond as the situation demands.

Only reason I responded OOCly at the time was because people were calling my decisions stupid and I felt the need to defend the rationale behind them, while maintaining that any disagreement should be done ICly. And since piecewise tries to not allow people to boss others around, I'm certain that if someone did treat me unfairly and I couldn't resolve that on my own, then I could just ask him to mediate and help come up with a solution, as he did for the wanton shocking situation.

However, I also understand why that kind of treatment would leave others feeling bad, especially if it is made in an OOC manner (I don't know exactly what was said in those private messages, which is another reason to make them public, since then they can be judged better). One person should not make others feel like they cannot play the game however they want or that they cannot have fun.

Irrelevant: Speaking of RTS games, I just watched a video of Act of Agression and it seems pretty good. A nice combination of classic Command & Conquer and Act of War.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21739 on: September 04, 2015, 04:47:46 am »

Since it might help with the context, the debreifing Miya gave in pm was the following:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Everyone got the same one. The main reasons I send it via pm was 1) avoid letting people, be it the recipients of the message or others, drag it into ooc before the whole thing was over, and 2) seeing the honest response from people when they aren't influenced by other's messages. People will probably disagree, but as far as I know it's very, very hard to compartmentalize to the point one will not in the slightest be influenced by reading other's responses. Still, if people wanted to post their debrief in the thread after the fact, I wouldn't have objected, just like how we did it when Xan's fate was decided by Hasala and Pancaek: do it in peace and quiet IC'ly in pm, with no influence from others through OOC, then show what happened to the world.

For the record, apart from what went wrong, I do think it gave interesting results. Different people gave very different responses, and I honestly believe the outcome would have been different if people saw each other's response before writing their own.

And again, apart from a bit of complaining from the massive robot, there are not real consequences for any characters or players. Still get payed (I'm trying to negotiate a decent paycheck for everybody with pw right now in the thread), still get to go on missions Miya recruits for even if he, realistically from an IC perspective, would be inclined not to pick them (though it might influence his decision for certain high-stakes missions, in general I'm not planning on banning anyone from a Miya-led mission). Just like how he let Xan live even though he should have poured the gasoline himself, and instead mostly just berated him to no end IC.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 04:55:33 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #21740 on: September 04, 2015, 05:45:42 am »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #21741 on: September 04, 2015, 05:55:23 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrP5CBUScjw
Help
It's 3:45 am

Well I just watched that. That was a good review. Maybe it's just me, but that looks a somewhat like Borderlands, with all that riding around and killing people all over the desert-like place. Don't know if it's that fun though. Looks exiting anyway.

Also, I have like +10 hours regarding your timezone, and it's almost 2 PM here. Can't relate to all that exhaustion.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 05:56:55 am by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21742 on: September 04, 2015, 06:02:19 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrP5CBUScjw
Help

It's 3:45 am
Hehe, I feel I'd love to hear you review a game you hate.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21743 on: September 04, 2015, 06:57:12 am »

Seriously, the mission was botched.  Why fight so hard to get a 'decent' paycheck?  Just take the zero tokens for a failed mission.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21744 on: September 04, 2015, 07:05:03 am »

Seriously, the mission was botched.  Why fight so hard to get a 'decent' paycheck?  Just take the zero tokens for a failed mission.
Why is it a failed mission?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21745 on: September 04, 2015, 07:08:16 am »

Devastator, you have comicly missed the point. paycheck hasn't even been a discussion topic.
additionaly, mission was a success, so on top of being irrelevant you're also wrong.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21746 on: September 04, 2015, 07:11:41 am »

Besides, even if we had failed (which we didn't), didn't the Mission 5 people get paid for failing?
Congratulations. You failed. You all get minimum pay and do not get a mission added to your total. You can still level up though. You are now back on the ship. Check the other thread.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21747 on: September 04, 2015, 07:18:02 am »

came to a possible solution to the IC justification for getting the micromanagement on some missions backed off. talking with RC about it now because it involves getting into a verbal fight with Miya.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21748 on: September 04, 2015, 07:46:16 am »

Devastator, you have comicly missed the point. paycheck hasn't even been a discussion topic.
additionaly, mission was a success, so on top of being irrelevant you're also wrong.

RC was mentioning fighting for a decent paycheck.  Anyway, screw mission success.  All missions are successful when leaving the shuttle then.  You went down, caused a massive manipulator override on the friendly planet, and did not recover the automanipulator.  It's a failure because you destroyed half of a planet you had as friends.  The only reason to call it mission success is because you recovered a body.  That bar is too damn low, one newbie (or one sod) alone could have done that immediately.  Pick up body, put it on shuttle, die.  Mission success.

But I'm wrong, because the bar for mission success is so low that it is impossible to even fail a mission, much less suffer drawbacks to using the extremely dangerous steve-brain override.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2015, 07:48:33 am by Devastator »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21749 on: September 04, 2015, 07:51:41 am »

came to a possible solution to the IC justification for getting the micromanagement on some missions backed off. talking with RC about it now because it involves getting into a verbal fight with Miya.
Heh, nice, it will be fun watching Lyra of all people shouting down Miyamoto.
Only bad thing (for me) is that I had an entire speech prepared should he had chosen to say anything about Flint's behaviour to him.

RC was mentioning fighting for a decent paycheck.  Anyway, screw mission success.  All missions are successful when leaving the shuttle then.  You went down, caused a massive manipulator override on the friendly planet, and did not recover the automanipulator.  It's a failure because you destroyed half of a planet you had as friends.  If that is a success, then what isn't?
Nope. We had lost contact with a colony that could potentially become friendly and with which we were hoping to establish diplomatic relations (which was the reason the sword was going there). Our mission was to investigate. We investigated. The UWM used a never-before-seen super-weapon to annihilate the entire colony. We also retrieved samples that could be used to either replicate or at least defend against the effect. Mission accomplished. The other things (such us recovering the weapon, preserving the colony's structure for recolonization or finding out more about the UWM presence on the planet) were bonus objectives.
Pages: 1 ... 1448 1449 [1450] 1451 1452 ... 2205