Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2495265 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21705 on: September 03, 2015, 12:49:43 pm »

I won't be able to post for the rest of the day. If action is needed, someone on the mission Petra is on can control her.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21706 on: September 03, 2015, 12:58:12 pm »

I think it'd be kind of interesting to have a role reversal mission. a small team attempting to guard some kind of anomoly against investigation. the UWM probably still has some HMRC-esque units, and if we, say, had a super-easy investigation mission that got interrupted by a HMRC-esque group coming in behind us after it was nearly done, and the real challenge of the mission was utilizing our superior knowlege of the area and of the anamoly to ambush them, despite being spread out over a large area because reasons at the time the new guys showed up, preventing us from simply massing firepower in a single chokepoint. trying to keep them from figuring out what we're doing and so on.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21707 on: September 03, 2015, 01:01:24 pm »

True, that would be fun. But it would probably have to either take place at an inhabited world, so that the UWM can be on the planet without us knowing about it or during a mission when we aren't using the Sword, because I'm assuming the Sword can detect troop transports. Unless said transports were Blackships or similar.

EDIT: Unless it's a race against time thing, like those treasure hunt movies: "The UWM are trying to claim an artifact and have established a base nearby. But the idiots are looking at the wrong place! We must get it first! We'll enter the cave systems from there so that we can make our way to the artefact." and then "Oh, no! Taking the artefact has triggered some sort of energy pulse! UWM forces are converging on your position from above and below! You must kill them all/hold them off until reinforcements/evac arrive!"
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 01:05:45 pm by Parisbre56 »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21708 on: September 03, 2015, 01:19:22 pm »

I fear the day when we go against HMRC loyalist equivalent. That's not even like going up against an amp-master or a AoP. The sheer amount of firepower concentrated in a few incompetent but gleefully uncaring hands... It's something on its own. It has the power to bend reality, just like us.

And that's before we see their own leader driving a freaking Avatar of War.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21709 on: September 03, 2015, 01:27:55 pm »

Interesting. Not quite what I expected, but... this might work.

Enter the room as a team. Don't split the party.
Check if the center of anomaly (marked earlier on Mad Hatter) comes down at the corpse. Throw bolts, poke it with a pole, standard stuff.
Study the body. It's all dead, right? Cause of death, any special marks left on it?  If the visual examination is not enough, perform autopsy, if that would help.

I don't know why, but that reminds me of this: https://youtu.be/D-PoQExz65k
A single person, possessing knowledge and/or abilities he could not understand (or even hope to understand, since they are beyond the commonly known laws of the universe), slowly goes mad from forbidden knowledge and accidentally causes an unholy catastrophe that results in a horrible fate for all around him.

Let's hope the knowledge in that text is not eldritch enough to cause you to go mad...

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21710 on: September 03, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »

I fear the day when we go against HMRC loyalist equivalent. That's not even like going up against an amp-master or a AoP. The sheer amount of firepower concentrated in a few incompetent but gleefully uncaring hands... It's something on its own. It has the power to bend reality, just like us.

And that's before we see their own leader driving a freaking Avatar of War.
this right here is a large part of why I'd like such a mission.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21711 on: September 03, 2015, 01:46:25 pm »

the highest priority tool would be some kind of radio jammer. we'd need to isolate them as much as we could. next would be actual artifact we're defending - we can take it back if they take it from us and we're fast, but it's still a high priority. next is movement, we need control of doors, airlocks, bridges, etc. ways to keep them split apart. after that we need coms of our own, to keep ourselves cordinated so the Sword would be on its way and we only have to hold out for a limited amount of time. Next we'd need traps, mines, even simply putting wierd shit in wierd places so they waste time looking at it. we'd need to destroy any and all maps we can't maintain control of, they have to be kept lost as long as possible. in a perfect world we'd even move rooms around on them so they get completely disoriented. we'd want to try to maintain darkness, but also to have background noise preventing them from hearing everything going on. maybe turn on mining equipment for no reason expect to make noise? gotta be careful with that, they might use it to sequence break. random alarms / computer viruses / unexpected vaccum could all be disruptive and increase their paranoia too. and then on top of that if anyone on the team is carrying *wierd stuff* we could unleash that on them as well. but yeah, basically we could try to make the place into one giant hellhole and try to convince them to back off to protect their wounded and/or simply take so long help can arrive for us. or maybe just kill them all if they mess up bad enough.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21712 on: September 03, 2015, 01:51:04 pm »

STOP POSTING THAT LENGLON!!!!

Are you nuts? Are you trying to get everyone killed? Remember, the guys you're talking about as "them" are us!
One wheel short of a wagon

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21713 on: September 03, 2015, 02:02:47 pm »

of course, we could just place a mini-nuke in their escape shuttle and wander off until the Sword comes to blow them away.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21714 on: September 03, 2015, 02:06:58 pm »

Great. Now I have to check the shuttle for nukes next mission.
One wheel short of a wagon

Nunzillor

« Reply #21715 on: September 03, 2015, 02:09:57 pm »

That's your opinion. But it didn't seem to turn out that way during the mission. Granted, the deep team had the wrong kind of equipment and skills to take him on (only Lyra had useful things/skills and she got unlucky). But it seemed to me that every turn the arbiter launched a number of AoE attacks that were of the "if anybody does not roll 5, they get injured or killed, depending on the roll and their skills". So if you don't have something to either deter or damage the AoP and stop his attacks, you won't live for long. A shield automanipulator would just stop the tip of one crowd wire at a time. It wouldn't stop shockwaves and it wouldn't stop multiple wires. In fact, if someone dodged/run into a wire instead of having the tip of the wire fly into them, they'd still get hurt. Or if the AoP twisted the wires around sideways not quickly enough for them to register as a projectile (assuming they could even register as a projectile, since their large length could prevent that from happening).

At the end of the day, the AoP killed no-one.  I don't see how the result of it killing nobody can be used to state how much more dangerous it is than I'm thinking.  Injuries, injuries, injuries, but no kills.  Lyra rolled a pair of ones, and shook it off.

I get that you're saying it's not immunity to an AoP, but you don't need immunity, just need to keep it busy for a turn or two.
Well, it killed me (sort of).

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21716 on: September 03, 2015, 02:15:35 pm »

Even the newbies could get in on the fun! Nobody has really taken advantage of the fact that the standard, cheap, laser rifle's weapons fire is silent and invisible. and the sniper conversion kit isn't all that expensive either.

There'd even be the chance for cool loot too. I mean, we bring unique weaponized artifacts with us on-mission all the time, right? they'd probably have similar stuff. we could totally steal it. in fact, just in case they have any unique amps, we should make a point of beheading them and running off with their heads to take to our labs for dissection!

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21717 on: September 03, 2015, 02:27:49 pm »

Another place where we could find things like that is when investigating HMRC/ARM stuff (like, for example, the wreckage of an ARM ship that was ex-HMRC and was destroyed for some reason).

And Lenglon is engaging in the fun past-time of giving the GM ideas. Which always makes the game more fun, especially when those ideas come to bite you in the ass. At least, I find it fun, I don't know about the others.

SkyMarshal

• Bay Watcher
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21718 on: September 03, 2015, 02:37:06 pm »

Well, I've been keeping up with this for like a year and I suddenly get the urge to join in right when my schedule gets hectic.  I'll probably post a character sheet in the on-ship thread this weekend.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21719 on: September 03, 2015, 02:45:42 pm »

In fact, one really cool thing that might actually be super-effective would be to have a space magician uncork the head of somebody in the middle of their group and toss it out a doorway into a corridor. the newbie with +1 in Dex waiting behind the doorframe would slam the door shut, snatch up the head in a football carry, and run as fast as they can down Deathtrap Alley, with teammates arming the traps behind him and the entire enemy team in mindless pursuit mode trying to chase them down!
Pages: 1 ... 1446 1447 [1448] 1449 1450 ... 2205