Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2488421 times)

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #21105 on: August 17, 2015, 01:55:38 pm »

So far they have never moved when we are looking, so it is easy to jump in conclusions.
It's a trap. They're setting a precedent in your mind that they can only move when you aren't looking. That way when they move while you can see them it's such a shock you can't react in time.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21106 on: August 17, 2015, 01:56:23 pm »

To think of it, I'd rather wager it's not Weeping Angels-like event, it's more of a turn-based strategy thing - we do something (open a door, blow a hatch), and then the opponent responds to it, momentarily from our perspective - and then it's our 'turn' to do something again, and as such for us it remains 'realtime'.

In that case, we could theoretically do something, and they would simply disappear and reappear elsewhere, having done something - still eluding our perception even if 'observed'.

So far they have never moved when we are looking, so it is easy to jump in conclusions.
It's a trap. They're setting a precedent in your mind that they can only move when you aren't looking. That way when they move while you can see them it's such a shock you can't react in time.
Or this. Yes, I like this explanation very much.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21107 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:30 pm »

Hehe, I just thought of an ingenious solution for making the outdoors mostly safe while using very few cheap materials. Camera balloons! With 4 people (6 is better for redundancy) you could have it operating continuously (until one of them got tired and had to sleep or got bored and stopped functioning normally. That's why we need to couple all humans with an AI that will keep them functioning properly at all times).

Assuming they're not on a time limit. I've been operating on the assumption that the effect is touch based or at least range based. Maybe some sort of personal dimensional or time field surrounding people, some sort of field of personal possibilities or maybe even dreams that when observed collapses into reality (which would explain any strangeness seen in them). And approaching said field causes certain brain patterns to be transferred to yours, triggering the field response on yourself. You know, space magic zombies. Probably triggered by an artefact meant for aliens that process the world differently. Probably the same artefact causing the dome. Just conjecture of course, I have nothing to back those statements up other than gut feeling, which is probably wrong.

FAKEEDIT: Unless it's turn based, which makes the above unnecessary.

Of course, nothing beats a defence against blink monsters like forming a testudo. Except maybe throwing or demolishing stuff, if those things can throw things or are smart enough to damage the environment and thus attack you indirectly or blind you long enough to attack you directly. You could check the environment for damage on the barricades. Although, judging by the size of the barricades, I'm going to assume that they can damage them.

If you start demolishing whatever constitutes as indoors while being careful not to cause large dust clouds that could obscure visibility, you could investigate the facility while also providing more materials to keep the solution working. And-

Wait a second! I just thought of something important while thinking about ways my solution could fail. There is snow entering the dome! That means you have a way you could try to escape through! And if that fails, assuming Steve is monitoring the site (or that you set up some monitoring equipment like Nik said you would), you could use it to send a message to the outside world.

Another thing, there are a few things quite commonly used in horror films to pass along information about an off-screen event. Piecewise might be nice enough to hand one to you if you search hard enough, but it might be better to look for one.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21108 on: August 17, 2015, 01:58:39 pm »

I like Twinwolf's idea but don't think shock tactics would work well against a bunch of adults and fairly intelligent children with the option to sit at their screens for several minutes and work out a considered and reasonable plan of action, possibly on paper, communicate and coordinate with one another and adjust to the new develo-

Sorry, rereading past missions, everyone will panic and get killed or kill themselves through stupidity.
One wheel short of a wagon

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21109 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:30 pm »

Hey, piecewise asked us not to metagame. We're not panicking idiots. We're just too good at staying in character. And that's the story we're sticking with.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21110 on: August 17, 2015, 02:01:16 pm »

Hey, piecewise asked us not to metagame. We're not panicking idiots. We're just too good at staying in character. And that's the story we're sticking with.
Ninja. I was about to post basically that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:03:12 pm by Twinwolf »
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21111 on: August 17, 2015, 02:02:03 pm »

I shall now edit my post to remove any evidence I was here, like any proper ninja should.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21112 on: August 17, 2015, 02:03:37 pm »

Too late, edited in a quote.
Sigtext!

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21113 on: August 17, 2015, 02:14:53 pm »

-snip-Another thing, there are a few things quite commonly used in horror films to pass along information about an off-screen event. Piecewise might be nice enough to hand one to you if you search hard enough, but it might be better to look for one.
The big problem is, I don't do horror movies (I prefer action movies to those; or, at least, horror/action things like the good ol' Doom games). Could someone genre-savvy (probably from the mission, since a bunch of folks here have that funny notion of not offering advice from off-mission) help out with what Paris meant?

Otherwise, yeah, that's basically what I have in mind for current action. Drop fooling around and go for the enemy king - source of the anomaly. Not sure how useful the defensive tactics suggested would prove, but we'll have those in mind. And I am entirely unconvinced demolishing stuff is a good idea - so far, the biggest concentration of the "people" came from breaking the hatch.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21114 on: August 17, 2015, 02:32:42 pm »

If you mean doom 3, then you know what I'm taking about.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21115 on: August 17, 2015, 02:43:52 pm »

Nope, never played that one, unfortunately, but I think I know what you are getting at. Yeah, I think I have a pretty solid guess, and that was part of the plan when we tried exploring the buildings, but then it all went out of a window together with that whole plan. Too dangerous by now, I'd say, unless we accidentally find a way to hold these "people" at bay for a period of time.
Past Sigs

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21116 on: August 17, 2015, 02:54:51 pm »

Drop fooling around and go for the enemy king - source of the anomaly. Not sure how useful the defensive tactics suggested would prove, but we'll have those in mind. And I am entirely unconvinced demolishing stuff is a good idea - so far, the biggest concentration of the "people" came from breaking the hatch.
So far, while their movement style has been odd, to say the least, nothing has acted particularly threatening. Hmmm though, having everyone congregate around you IS alarming. But still, thinking of it as an "enemy" might box in your options and cause you to make mistakes. Keep an open mind until more evidence is available. Or ... Just do the HRMC thing and break stuff until something happens :D

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21117 on: August 17, 2015, 03:06:09 pm »

If it is turn based then what we are looking for might be related to games. Maybe attached to a computer.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #21118 on: August 17, 2015, 03:10:27 pm »

Keeping the people at bay could be as simple as keeping them in someone's field of vision at all times. Lure them back out to the quad, and have two or three people watch them while others continue exploring.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #21119 on: August 17, 2015, 03:14:41 pm »

How I long for the days where I just had to deal with giant murderbots coming to crush me.
If this was a film, that would be the moment we cut to mission 22.
Pages: 1 ... 1406 1407 [1408] 1409 1410 ... 2205