Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487974 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO
« Reply #17790 on: June 09, 2015, 12:14:30 pm »

Re: Zoltan+fleshknitter:
Dude, this is the guy who offed himself by jamming his severed arm through his eye socket and pushing.
I'm thinking a lump of fleshknitter might actually be an improvement! :P

Edit: That's not at all an insult by the way, everyone does dumb stuff in this game if the rolls permit.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:20:07 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17791 on: June 09, 2015, 12:20:02 pm »

PW said that we might have to rethink the prototyping process. Since this mission batch seems to be wrapping up, and there are some things in the pipeline to be prototyped, what are your various opinions on that? Note that this includes Hep people and regular trooper's tinkering. Should there be a hardcap? Remove free prototypes altogether?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17792 on: June 09, 2015, 12:23:35 pm »

PW said that we might have to rethink the prototyping process. Since this mission batch seems to be wrapping up, and there are some things in the pipeline to be prototyped, what are your various opinions on that? Note that this includes Hep people and regular trooper's tinkering. Should there be a hardcap? Remove free prototypes altogether?

You'll probably want to drop more context here. What issue is this supposed to address exactly?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17793 on: June 09, 2015, 12:26:03 pm »

You'll probably want to drop more context here. What issue is this supposed to address exactly?

Now, when one onvents something, and it is approved by Hep and council/pw, (a) free prototype(s) are made and given to be tested for a mission via the team fund. He said we might need to rethink it after the rocket hoverboard thing.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17794 on: June 09, 2015, 12:30:29 pm »

PFP To add on, my understanding was that the issue was primarily that lot of high-end hardware is coming into the missions for free, since no-one has to pay for the things. I think maybe we're looking for some way to throttle it back a bit? Dunno can't read past messages at the moment.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17795 on: June 09, 2015, 12:31:24 pm »

Now, when one onvents something, and it is approved by Hep and council/pw, (a) free prototype(s) are made and given to be tested for a mission via the team fund. He said we might need to rethink it after the rocket hoverboard thing.

"Right, guys, fun's fun but I draw the line at rocket hoverboards." - not sure why that's amusing to me.

Thing is, the free prototypes serve basically an advertising purpose, so people can use them and see that they're good stuff. They have no real bits to test because Heph's already figured out what it does and set all the weapon specifications. They're not even prototypes in that they're the regular weapon in all respects.

One thing they do (edit: as Hapah says, wise person that he is) is that they let people have equipment far outside of their pay grade, if only for a mission. So they're an in for newbies to keep up with their much better endowed peers. That's about all the good they do, and it seems like the team fund's already designed to do similar things in missions that genuinely require it.

You could scale back the free samples (they're not prototypes) to about one of each when relevant, and if two newbies want one they have to fight it out in a gentlemanly fashion for it. Or abolish them altogether, since the free samples are not usually very well telegraphed to newbies and they, as mentioned, are something that people really ought to be paying for, since they're not prototypes or anything. I say get rid of them. Screw anyone who wants good weaponry on their first mission.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 12:35:33 pm by Harry Baldman »

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #17796 on: June 09, 2015, 12:36:26 pm »

I still think that we should give out free prototypes (maybe fewer than we currently do) with no time limit. Just one mission cannot fully cover all the details of field use, and actually having one on hands ensures the future popularity of the weapon/item (see: Sibillus). Otherwise it might be that we create something, have it briefly 'tested' on a single mission, and then no one else uses the item forever (note that it is implied that any and every prototyped design is subject to harsh examination for "actual usefulness", as Simus/Pyro had it established; yet at times equipment useful for general cases and background war is not really popular with the characters, so it does not get fully tested. As in, there is not enough free stuff circulating around, so we should give out more, not the other way.

That said, that is my opinion as a Sword resident; I have not yet soaked enough arrogance, snobbery and greed as befits a proper Hephestian, so I cannot say for the other side.  :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17797 on: June 09, 2015, 12:37:59 pm »

We should harvest some asteroids, break them up into small rocks and place them in a cardboard box marked 'Prototype weaponry' outside the armoury.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17798 on: June 09, 2015, 12:41:14 pm »

In certain cases, the prototypes do serve a testing function. With a weapon like the PEW, for instance, it's uncertain whether the power it has is offset sufficiently by its weight and long reload time. As such, its token cost is rather in flux, pending live-fire testing results to be properly established. Similarly with other things. A large amount of firing modes could be hard to keep track of, or the weapon could have unexpected uses that boost its effectiveness - lots of things could cause a final rebalance. The prototyping phase is both a chance to find these things out, and an IC justification to make changes where needed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17799 on: June 09, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »

Just checking guys: if you die, do you keep your skill points? Or attribute points? Cuz some discussion confused me over this.
One wheel short of a wagon

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17800 on: June 09, 2015, 12:50:09 pm »

Just checking guys: if you die, do you keep your skill points? Or attribute points? Cuz some discussion confused me over this.
Depends. If you die, normally, then you'll get revived and probably lose a few points, though generally you can make that back up with the points you get from beating the mission.         

If you die permanently, ie your brain is destroyed, you lose everything and start completely over. Though anything you left in your room on the ship is still there for you.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17801 on: June 09, 2015, 12:54:41 pm »

Do you get to remember your room number and password through the magic of "Jesus Christ it's a game people lighten up already?"
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17802 on: June 09, 2015, 12:56:54 pm »

I im kinda against prototyping large expensive items for single use, id rather see an influx of free gear to replace our starting loadouts.
Shit like the MMI, MCP suits and sharkmist armor, the cheap mass produceable crap.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #17803 on: June 09, 2015, 12:58:03 pm »

Do you get to remember your room number and password through the magic of "Jesus Christ it's a game people lighten up already?"
Basically.
id rather see an influx of free gear
I'll bet you would. Especially when you loot it off the newbies.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17804 on: June 09, 2015, 12:58:54 pm »

Depends. If you die, normally, then you'll get revived and probably lose a few points, though generally you can make that back up with the points you get from beating the mission.         

If you die permanently, ie your brain is destroyed, you lose everything and start completely over. Though anything you left in your room on the ship is still there for you.
Meetaaa. >:(
Pages: 1 ... 1185 1186 [1187] 1188 1189 ... 2205