Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2491813 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #16995 on: May 14, 2015, 09:24:34 am »

Also, the X3 is three times as long as a standard Gauss rifle. It's the coils of three separate civilian Gauss rifles attached one after the other, to get the smaller slug up to speeds where it does similar damage compared to the more powerful military grade Gauss rifle. Sawing it off to the point it's more easily concealable would make it about as weak as a civilian Gauss pistol. You might as well just get one of those, instead.
Ummm, I might be imagining it wrong, but did not Simus specifically choose a different coil configuration, so as to avoid an overly long weapon (and ended up with a ~3x thick one instead, I think)?
Still, that probably has one hell of a kickback. And pretty much as concealable (even in a sawn-off variant) as a small mortar.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #16996 on: May 14, 2015, 09:27:54 am »

Please remember that Gauss rifles are still rail(or specifically coil)guns, and that even the UWM ones are firing a big chunk of metal at hypersonic speeds.
 I don't know what the triple-civilian one would do, but I'm fairly sure that firing the ARM gauss rifle one-handed will result in making you one-handed.
I imagine it like a triple barreled shotgun to be honest. Just one that only fires three AP slugs at once. Of course, I just have an odd fetish for shotguns I suppose.
it is a single-barreled rifle with an absurdly long barrel. it only fires one shot at a time.
Well, I suppose I'll be the one to tap three of those together to get a triple barrelled variant.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16997 on: May 14, 2015, 09:42:21 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcDmlNtDhs
New video up of Hammerfight, the game of melee fighting helicopters.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16998 on: May 14, 2015, 10:12:05 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcDmlNtDhs
New video up of Hammerfight, the game of melee fighting helicopters.
Those words don't sound like they go together.
I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #16999 on: May 14, 2015, 10:55:58 am »

Also, the X3 is three times as long as a standard Gauss rifle. It's the coils of three separate civilian Gauss rifles attached one after the other, to get the smaller slug up to speeds where it does similar damage compared to the more powerful military grade Gauss rifle. Sawing it off to the point it's more easily concealable would make it about as weak as a civilian Gauss pistol. You might as well just get one of those, instead.
Ummm, I might be imagining it wrong, but did not Simus specifically choose a different coil configuration, so as to avoid an overly long weapon (and ended up with a ~3x thick one instead, I think)?
Still, that probably has one hell of a kickback. And pretty much as concealable (even in a sawn-off variant) as a small mortar.

This was what I thought, so I went and checked.  We seem to be correct.

Spoiler: Quote (click to show/hide)

Also, kickback probably isn't a real issue, at least compared to the GR.  The X3C fires a somewhat lighter projectile at a somewhat higher velocity, so the energy is unlikely to be much higher.  In fact, since it uses most of the parts of three rifles, it's probably heavier, and therefore should have less kickback.

...I'm really, really late with this, but I think PW should play the XCOM mod Long War.  I know he has XCOM, and I think he has Enemy Within too--and if he doesn't, it's worth getting.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17000 on: May 14, 2015, 11:31:53 am »

I saw this gameplay vid of "Infested Planet" and it reminded me the current mission, with the way the aliens start evolving different attacks the more you fight them.

Please remember that Gauss rifles are still rail(or specifically coil)guns, and that even the UWM ones are firing a big chunk of metal at hypersonic speeds.
 I don't know what the triple-civilian one would do, but I'm fairly sure that firing the ARM gauss rifle one-handed will result in making you one-handed.
I imagine it like a triple barreled shotgun to be honest. Just one that only fires three AP slugs at once. Of course, I just have an odd fetish for shotguns I suppose.
it is a single-barreled rifle with an absurdly long barrel. it only fires one shot at a time.
Bonus innuendo points if you keep it in your pants.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17001 on: May 14, 2015, 11:40:43 am »

I wonder how wild the planet's going to get when somebody starts tearing out its nerve clusters.

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17002 on: May 14, 2015, 11:50:41 am »

The only question is: Will the planet react to the Mindfuck Gun if I have to use it?

And if so, will Miyamoto survive?
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17003 on: May 14, 2015, 11:59:59 am »

I wonder how wild the planet's going to get when somebody starts tearing out its nerve clusters.
Steve said his info shows that once the nerve cluster is cut, nearby Haebi's intelligence and ability to fight and adapt will degrade. Of course, his info might be wrong or he might be lying or maybe the degradation will be negligible. And even if his info is right, the rest of the planet is probably not going to be very happy about that. That's what we're hoping to solve with the nukes.

DoctorMcTaalik

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:SKULKING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17004 on: May 14, 2015, 12:15:21 pm »

This was what I thought, so I went and checked.  We seem to be correct.

Spoiler: Quote (click to show/hide)

Also, kickback probably isn't a real issue, at least compared to the GR.  The X3C fires a somewhat lighter projectile at a somewhat higher velocity, so the energy is unlikely to be much higher.  In fact, since it uses most of the parts of three rifles, it's probably heavier, and therefore should have less kickback.

...I'm really, really late with this, but I think PW should play the XCOM mod Long War.  I know he has XCOM, and I think he has Enemy Within too--and if he doesn't, it's worth getting.

So the important bits are all crammed closer to the handle? The majority of the barrel is just a tube?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17005 on: May 14, 2015, 12:47:51 pm »

No, it has an ultra-thick and heavy barrel because the barrel contains an enormous coil that is used to accelerate the bullet and give it energy comparable to one fired out of a Gauss rifle. But the barrel is short. It's like a mini cannon.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17006 on: May 14, 2015, 03:14:56 pm »

Oh shit, we got PvP on-ship. Xan is stabbed!

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17007 on: May 14, 2015, 03:23:17 pm »

It's not even over the remote this time!
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17008 on: May 14, 2015, 03:26:17 pm »

Nope, it's in the name of testing! Just not the sort of testing Xan was hoping to get done this week :P

And now I am reminded that I need to update my death image... 4 down, 16 to go, PW!

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #17009 on: May 14, 2015, 03:27:00 pm »

Now he has a wound he can treat!
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 1132 1133 [1134] 1135 1136 ... 2205