Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494575 times)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #1605 on: March 12, 2014, 11:03:23 pm »

Radio Controlled posted the piecewise/Steve ruling over loot. I recommend reading it.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: March 12, 2014, 11:39:01 pm »

@syvarris: Main problems with that system are that it favours characters like miyamoto and jim who are already heavily geared, and the fact that killing UWM personell destroys the loot you would recieve.
Also Auron effectively killed the pilot of the battlesuit in question, so he has a valid claim to said loot.

@pyro: i dont recall ever declaring the loot as "mine" prior to being ignored.
i recall asking people to not kill the forces i wanted to disable so that i could loot them as an action, but i hadnt claimed anything recovered was going to be exclusively mine or even mostly mine.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: March 12, 2014, 11:43:18 pm »

Can't we debate this IC? It gets resolved better.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: March 13, 2014, 01:02:51 am »

^ Agreed. So many pointless arguments in this thread.
If your character would want to loot everything in sight and do their best to keep it secret from their teammates, go for it.
Anyone complaining about it OOC is being kinda silly. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: March 13, 2014, 02:38:05 am »

The ol' MMO days, ie GREEDGREEDGREEDGREEDGREEDGREED
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: March 13, 2014, 03:02:35 am »

Simple math valid in all multiplayer games:

A needing money + B mindlessly destroying loot = A keeping all surviving loot and telling B to go to hell.

Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1611 on: March 13, 2014, 06:57:25 am »

A needing money + B mindlessly destroying loot = A keeping all surviving loot and telling B to go to hell.
Not the best analogy.
What if B is "mindlessly" "destroying" loot because your clan is raiding a very hard lair? One who focused on gaining loot instead of killing the enemies would not only be harming his teammates but also himself, since killing the lair's boss would grant the entire clan more and better quality loot. Or maybe your clan doesn't even care about loot, they're just doing this for the achievement/prestige killing that boss would bring it. Someone who focused on loot in that kind of situation would definitely hear it from his teammates.
At least they'd have chicken loot.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: March 13, 2014, 07:27:06 am »

Not the best analogy.
What if B is "mindlessly" "destroying" loot because your clan is raiding a very hard lair? One who focused on gaining loot instead of killing the enemies would not only be harming his teammates but also himself, since killing the lair's boss would grant the entire clan more and better quality loot. Or maybe your clan doesn't even care about loot, they're just doing this for the achievement/prestige killing that boss would bring it. Someone who focused on loot in that kind of situation would definitely hear it from his teammates.
This would make sense if we were playing world of warcraft, but alas there are no bosses here and no epic loot at the end of this raid.

The only loot available to us is either the loot we earn through disabling lifelocks, or that which is too common or simple to be worth installing lifelocks in such as melee weapons and shields.
Besides, if you know your clanmate is only coming along for the loot then you cant really complain when they focus on increasing the overall loot haul at the expense of completion speed.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: March 13, 2014, 07:48:22 am »

Not the best analogy.
This would make sense if we were playing world of warcraft, but alas there are no bosses here and no epic loot at the end of this raid.

The only loot available to us is either the loot we earn through disabling lifelocks, or that which is too common or simple to be worth installing lifelocks in such as melee weapons and shields.
Besides, if you know your clanmate is only coming along for the loot then you cant really complain when they focus on increasing the overall loot haul at the expense of completion speed.
When said clanmate is one of the clan's heavy-hitters, having him jeopardize the raid's success by running out into potential friendly AOE and pulling blows in hopes of getting more loot will not earn him any points with the clan at all.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: March 13, 2014, 08:03:55 am »

A. When did Auron become a heavy hitter? Hes only got 1 or 2 missions under his belt.
B. I posted to loot during the 15 minute gap, no risk of friendly fire.
C. Pulling my blows does not only increase potential loot, it also preserves "ammunition" so i can fight longer.
D. According to the am, pulling punches is the correct way to use space magic.
E. Tokens trump points, especially where battlesuits are concerned.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 08:09:16 am by Unholy_Pariah »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #1615 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:44 am »

-stuff-
Eh, I was just criticizing your analogy. Not you.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: March 13, 2014, 01:48:15 pm »

Which doesn't make any sense, I'd like to note. Effectively run along walls? Sure, but unless there's gravity or something pulling them towards the wall they'll just push themselves off. And more likely than not they'd crash into the walls.
If said wall is soft enough, maybe something that 'bites' itself into it to provide more support (coupled with something to stick to the surface long enough to continue running). But yeah, for running horizontally on a wall, one would probably need a synthflesh body, at the least. Maybe running up it vertically  would be feasible with a regular (robo)body.

i have repeatedly informed you guys that killing the enemy destroys over 90% of the loot and asked that you refrain from killing those i have incapacitated, requests that have been almost unilaterally ignored. If im the only one putting any effort into keeping loot active then i feel no obligation to share with those who are mindlessly destroying it.
Remember that killing the enemy is our main objective here, so if other characters always go for killing blows, they are following orders, not mindlessly destroying. And almost every battle up till now has been a wave that gets destroyed in a single turn, after which a new one follows immediately, so not a lot of room for applying subtle force instead of going for lethal immediately.
Oh, and in the pause between waves, most people helped with evacuating wounded or putting up barricades instead of looking for loot so they were directly contributing to their teammates well-being or helping get the defenses up again. Yes, I saw Auron tried to deposit heads he might've had on the second turn between waves, but after looking for loot, not the other way around. There's a difference in intent basically.

With that said, let's establish that it's way harder to incapacitate (without killing) an enemy than it is to destroy them. The first one requires a careful application of juuust the right amount of force (both in 'real life' and in-game, where you'd need to roll a 5, maybe a 4), while the other has a much broader margin of success (4, 5 or 6 will do, maybe even a 3). Thus, in a pitched battle, simply trying to kill is easier than trying to incapacitate. And, as PW has mentioned, he will increase the danger (e.g. number of enemies) level according to player strength. Remember that this is a game after all, so he has to ensure there is a level of danger (proof: when he said what he'd do when we used the RU budget to buy everyone battlesuits) for the players to work with. This means that not going for the kill will always carry an inherent risk, except maybe in isolated cases (where there is no enemy backup coming whatsoever).
Thus, there is a bigger chance at success (and less risk) in going for killing blows. Yes, I know that with a manip/amp using just enough force to do the job is preferred, but there is a difference in using 'enough force to kill' and using 'enough to knock out' (undershooting/rolling too low with the first might still take the enemy out of the fight, even if it doesn't kill him, but undershooting with the second means you have a still combat-capable foe on your hands).

Now then, a big thing in this discussion is risk vs reward, a rather fundamental gameplay element. For example, do you grab the scary alien artifact, risking alien mindfrakkery, but possibly getting lots of tokens for bringing it in? It's up to a player to decide if it's worth it. In the same vein, if Auron wants to risk not taking out his enemy in order to try and gain more loot, that is his decision he makes as a player. However, this is a large scale battle, not one-on-one combat. Not taking out an enemy means said enemy might have another chance at hurting or killing a teammate, not just Auron (we do not know how PW determines who gets hit, but in this situation (looking at it IC) I suspect the sod will just try to do as much damage as it can before dying).

Thus, nobody minds someone taking risks for getting loot (why would anybody mind that?), but if it also means another character could get hurt (or that person isn't contributing as much as he could to the mission, where in this case mission failure ends the game and everybody dies), I can see why they would take heavy objection to it. So yeah, go grab that alien artifact while I stand waaay over there, but if there are enemies hotdropping in front of us right now while their buddies are shooting us as we speak, then yes, stop looting and shoot those assholes!

Radio Controlled posted the piecewise/Steve ruling over loot. I recommend reading it.
Indeed. But, for the weak of memory:

-In the event that there is any, loot shall be divided as follows (note that these are Steve’s rules, don’t come complaining to me): what you kill is yours, everything else goes into the team fund. Everything else. Yes, this includes stuff you find on the UWM ships. Oh, and about those: remember we are to capture those ships, not scuttle them, so contain your looting urges. If I find out people have been playing magpie instead of doing their job, they will find themselves without payment for this mission.

-Sod equipment is to be returned to Steve at mission end. Yes, even when the sod in question is dead. This to prevent people using their troops as meat shields so they could claim their weapons.

From this, we can learn a few things:
-If the one who got the kill doesn't claim the loot, it goes into the team fund! Nowhere is there a clause that gives 'second dibs' or anything. So if Faith doesn't claim it, it's for the whole team, no matter who else 'claims' it after that.
-It says 'kill', not 'disable'. Normally that wouldn't matter, but in this case (where Faith killed a sod incapacitated by someone else) it does. And, according to this, it goes to the one who dealt the finishing blow, aka Faith. Yes, I admit that next time I should add a clause to address this kind of situation (cause one could readily make the point this isn't wholly fair. I didn't foresee this situation coming up, negligence on my part) but that's for next time: as the rules now stand, if Faith doesn't claim that sword, shield or rocket pods, then it goes to the team fund.

Main problems with that system are that it favours characters like miyamoto and jim who are already heavily geared, and the fact that killing UWM personell destroys the loot you would recieve.
Lucky then, that Miya (and Jim as well, I think) has literally expressed his desire to share loot he earns to give the team ( especially newbs) a little boost.

Now, if I had my way then I'd say PW just keeps track of all the loot we find this mission without us having to physically grab it. Then, after the mission this is turned into tokens, and from that pool we divide them as bonus for competence, with Steve giving a little base pay. This way, if a character is capable of disabling a battlesuit, thereby increasing the bonus pool greatly, he'd be rewarded for personal competence with some extra tokens, but failing to do that and letting an enemy have another turn to fight means less tokens. Risk vs reward. But now, if Auron fails to take out that battlesuit it can spell doom for another character, while Auron succeeding won't give any sort of boon or advantage to anyone else.

Can't we debate this IC? It gets resolved better.
Indeed, but then somebody needs to bring it up IC first. and Miya is on the other side of the map fighting drones, so you can't expect him to bring it up out of the blue. Cause if he did it'd be meta, and every time one sins against that commandment ("Thou Shalt Not Go Out Of Character Or Use Meta Knowledge") the Gods of Roleplaying kill a catgirl. Think of the catgirls! Lyra could be next!

Anyways, all of this should no longer be a problem once we get to regular missions again.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 02:00:24 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: March 13, 2014, 03:53:51 pm »

according to this, it goes to the
one who dealt the finishing blow.
This i cannot accept, it is too easily abusable.

Lets say two newbies are trying to kill a crazy guy with a monorazor.
Newbie A goes through extreme effort to kill the guy and manages to knock him off a ledge breaking every bone in his body and permanently removing him from combat while he bleeds out.
Newbie B shoots the crazy guy while hes on the floor, actually killing him.

All loot should go to newbie A, but because of strict rule adherance he gets nothing. Unacceptable.

I worked my ass off trying to put a high rank UWM trooper into an irreversable coma, im not about to mindlessly give up whats left of my reward just because you wanna be a stickler.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: March 13, 2014, 04:19:43 pm »

This i cannot accept, it is too easily abusable.
Unfortunately for you, that is how the way things are right now, so if it comes up in-game, that is how Miyamoto will resolve it. Seeing as how Faith hasn't really showed interest in it till now though, it might not even be an issue. And as I said before, Miya won't just be bringing this up in the middle of battle, he's rather busy after all (and I do try to avoid meta, especially when it would only serve for me to play the Bad Cop again). I could probably justify him noticing after the battle, but we'll see what happens then when we get there (and it'll depend on how PW will handle payment this time). But should another character bring it to his attention for whatever reason, then he'll be forced to act on that sooner or later. That said, this should probably first be handled by Auron's squad leader before Miya even gets involved.

Your example requires 'malicious' intent on behalf of the second character. Again, nobody minds it that you or whoever gets loot, it's the circumstances that count. In this case, there was no intentional skullduggery by anyone, it was an accident more than anything else. But that doesn't mean the rules change all of the sudden.

Oh, and
Be careful with this line of thinking IC, it could lead to Miya being forced to always put Auron on his team so he could keep him on a 'tight leash' so to speak, which nobody (me included!) would find pleasant.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: March 13, 2014, 04:56:04 pm »

Okay heres the thing, im not implying malicious intent with my example, but im not excluding it either.

Also this has nothing to do with miyamoto so he can butt out, i dont care if he is a giant synthflesh demigod.

If you want loot to go into the team fund so bad why dont you just take your decomp and skill bonuses and go make some available yourself, we have plenty of technicians capable of at least identifying the lifelocks and youve got an amp capable of turning the explosives into silly putty.

Pages: 1 ... 106 107 [108] 109 110 ... 2205