Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2493301 times)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC
« Reply #15120 on: April 06, 2015, 12:53:04 am »

You know what would be really useful? The HUDs that apparently exist coloring allies a specific color. And something that automatically tazes you if you take hostile action against said allies.
Won't work too well. If someone gets controlled, it will hamper attempts to restrain them. Remember the cultist mission? Shocking Faith didn't work because it affects her not the thing possessing her.

Exactly.  Set it to a lower power level, so it launches the projectile at a subsonic velocity.
Ah, nice.

Oh yeah, the AM had that melee combat program! It makes exoskeletons attack without care for the user's safety (though it generally comes out on top anyway).
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15121 on: April 06, 2015, 12:55:40 am »

You know what would be really useful? The HUDs that apparently exist coloring allies a specific color. And something that automatically tazes you if you take hostile action against said allies.
Won't work too well. If someone gets controlled, it will hamper attempts to restrain them. Remember the cultist mission? Shocking Faith didn't work because it affects her not the thing possessing her.

Exactly.  Set it to a lower power level, so it launches the projectile at a subsonic velocity.
Ah, nice.

Oh yeah, the AM had that melee combat program! It makes exoskeletons attack without care for the user's safety (though it generally comes out on top anyway).
Um.... you do know why Tazers work so well right? They would literally be unable to control muscles. And you're using one instance that was very improbable to begin with like it happens a lot.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15122 on: April 06, 2015, 12:59:37 am »

Um.... you do know why Tazers work so well right? They would literally be unable to control muscles. And you're using one instance that was very improbable to begin with like it happens a lot.
Considering that the universe is becoming increasingly unstable and that our foes have included sentient sounds, supernatural beings and the creations of psychic crystals, I have a feeling that improbability isn't the best argument.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #15123 on: April 06, 2015, 01:02:51 am »

((Assuming you read my nuke example))

Yes, it's improbably, but that's how we have to design things.  If people go on five missions, and are stopped from friendly fire on four, but get nearly TPK'd by an MC'd ally on the fifth?  They're gonna be angry at me, blame me, not care about the benefits, and probably just turn it off in the future.  Doesn't matter if it's an illogical decision, people aren't logical.

If you can get yourself killed accidentally using something, we have to assume you will.  If you doing so puts us in a bad light, we don't give yoy the thing.  People get way less mad when they don't have a useful item, compared to when they have a 'dangerous' item.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15124 on: April 06, 2015, 01:05:48 am »

And that's assuming it was flawless. You can't easily define hostile action to a piece of code, it might be too sensitive, or not sensitive enough or a combination thereof. Plus we can always request shocks as needed.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #15125 on: April 06, 2015, 01:08:48 am »

Considering that the universe is becoming increasingly unstable and that our foes have included sentient sounds, supernatural beings and the creations of psychic crystals, I have a feeling that improbability isn't the best argument.
I'll give the point to you when an whale falls out of the sky with a bowl of petunias.

Anyways, I feel it would be useful so that it disables enemies from using the most wide spread (I mean, they gave them out prisoners) form of mind control. I say fuck people who think mind control prevention, it needs done. May I point back to the previously mention cultist mission where a good chunk of people nearly died due to someone being on an MG and getting MCed?

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15126 on: April 06, 2015, 01:12:26 am »

Suppose someone is used as a human shield of sorts, what then? If you make a shot plow through them and the foe, they'll be dead but revivable. Probably better than being unable to shoot.

What about Auron shooting that fuel tank? The system likely cannot stop that, after all he never directly targeted her at all, he just shot something elsewhere. Something that had potential to kill her in its detonation.

How does it handle overpenetration? Will it let someone shoot a foe with the risk of a shot over-penetrating and hitting a teammate? If so, that can be exploited. If not, then it could result in people becoming disadvantaged in such circumstances.

May I point back to the previously mention cultist mission where a good chunk of people nearly died due to someone being on an MG and getting MCed?
An entirely preventable death. You guys let someone with horrible willpower onto a turret when investigating paranormal activity. Piecewise even pointed that out.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:18:43 am by Empiricist »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #15127 on: April 06, 2015, 02:00:45 am »

For equipment, I do have an idea to just have Charles with his (soon to be) +4 Charisma scream insults into a microphone and record them, then to have remote speakers that can play those insults to berserk enemies like how Charles was able to accidentally drive Xan into such a murderous rage that he was unable to use his amps and instead charged at him. Those units could also play other audio that the user gives them.
Actually, Xan was perfectly ready to use his exotic powers to, and I quote, 'incinerate Charles vertically starting with penis'. So was fish guy, which was why Charles panicked and started shooting everywhere with him Clf3 turret, which deskinned the two of us and killed basically his whole body so he had to robot.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15128 on: April 06, 2015, 02:25:13 am »

I think we need a man-portable projectile weapon between 'gauss rifle' and 'nuclear gauss cannon' for strength.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15129 on: April 06, 2015, 02:27:06 am »

Do the lasers not count?
Sig! Onol

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15130 on: April 06, 2015, 02:29:56 am »

lasers are surprisingly unlethal until you get to like, the cutting laser which chops battalions in half casually. Like, apart from 'assault on haephastus' has anyone ever killed anything with one? at all? I think some were shot at Erik, before he booted their heads into orbit or whatever.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15131 on: April 06, 2015, 02:31:06 am »

On the friendly fire idea, it never answered Syvarris' nuke analogy. The idea only really covers most conventional weapons (since some weapons have features beyond being a deathtube or affect a large area), possibly melee-based unconventional weapons (hard to program to account for, and probably will have exploits in it) and from EXO, only the mindfuck gun. A possessed, disgruntled or incompetent team mate could still easily kill people with amps, manips, overload, explosives, indirect attacks, swarms of murderous insects, booby traps, vehicles, weapons with parabolic trajectories, or just giving away the team's position and secrets.

For equipment, I do have an idea to just have Charles with his (soon to be) +4 Charisma scream insults into a microphone and record them, then to have remote speakers that can play those insults to berserk enemies like how Charles was able to accidentally drive Xan into such a murderous rage that he was unable to use his amps and instead charged at him. Those units could also play other audio that the user gives them.
Actually, Xan was perfectly ready to use his exotic powers to, and I quote, 'incinerate Charles vertically starting with penis'. So was fish guy, which was why Charles panicked and started shooting everywhere with him Clf3 turret, which deskinned the two of us and killed basically his whole body so he had to robot.
Yeah, but he never did that. PW rolled DEX for everyone and Charles acted first, indicating that Xan tried to attack normally instead of just amp incinerating Charles' crotch.

I think we need a man-portable projectile weapon between 'gauss rifle' and 'nuclear gauss cannon' for strength.
So nuclear gauss rifles and non-nuclear gauss cannons then? :P

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15132 on: April 06, 2015, 02:32:26 am »

I don't think so, truth be told. The spektr one is better than the initial laser rifle though.

Did he? I'll aquiesce to you since I can't remember.
Sig! Onol

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15133 on: April 06, 2015, 02:34:50 am »

Unless DEX was used as a general speed stat as well.

Most effective usage of laser rifles so far would have either have been Feyri approaching the sentinel in peace by powersliding on Jim's corpse and slicing it in half, or Bishop slicing apart one of the Stevebots.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:38:55 am by Empiricist »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15134 on: April 06, 2015, 02:38:56 am »

I'd think it was, since I think it was also being rolled for Xan and the Fishman's fight for who would attack first, I think.
Sig! Onol
Pages: 1 ... 1007 1008 [1009] 1010 1011 ... 2205