Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2487722 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette Subforum (EVEN IF YOU'RE NOT IN ER, READ THIS PLEASE)
« Reply #150 on: January 30, 2014, 02:03:54 pm »

Alright, as an outside opinion (In relative terms.), I would hazard that setting it up on it's own forum (Not a sub-board, it's own actual forum) would be, by far, the best option. There's be plenty of room to grow and such, far more organised since all the chatter would be put into a sub-board of that forum.

Any archival problems can be worked around by locking the threads here after some notice, and them linking to them from the new site. The only major problem is the fact that being it's own site means that he has to pay for the server, which might be a bit of a dent in the idea.
SEE? SEE? I SAID IT WOULD BE SO!
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
  • Worlds together, worlds apart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 30, 2014, 02:04:45 pm »

I have to say that a forum itself would be excessively large for even multiple numbers of large RtDs. Heck, we only have one candidate so far and that is ER. A subforum would be more appropriate as it would be far more manageable and conveniently cradled within the RtD forums.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 30, 2014, 02:10:27 pm »

Well, you would certainly have more than enough room to grow the game. And it does mean that a player could say, create an IC thread (The missions, I'd assume would be one thread, but you can close that once it's done.) and do whatever shenanigans there. Would make it VASTLY more legible by virtue of far less pages to trawl through per thread.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 30, 2014, 02:15:45 pm »

Well, you would certainly have more than enough room to grow the game. And it does mean that a player could say, create an IC thread (The missions, I'd assume would be one thread, but you can close that once it's done.) and do whatever shenanigans there. Would make it VASTLY more legible by virtue of far less pages to trawl through per thread.
Every benefit you have listed applies to a subboard. I see absolutely no reason to create a new forum.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 30, 2014, 02:18:55 pm »

Every benefit you have listed applies to a subboard. I see absolutely no reason to create a new forum.
This.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 30, 2014, 02:32:21 pm »

The problem is that a single sub-board isn't enough in order to keep it all in check, you would need several in totality to keep everything organised and readable.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 30, 2014, 02:37:08 pm »

Yes, it is enough. How many threads do you honestly believe are going to reach ER's size or be included in the subforum? One or two pages of threads, at most. That's not enough to justify separate subforums for each multithread.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 30, 2014, 02:44:03 pm »

I'd like to clarify something: I'm not arguing that ER should get it's own board, and I'll be honest, I'm pretty opposed to that idea in it's entirety until there other games similar quantity.

Rather, what I am suggesting is that it be moved completely off-site, onto it's own forum. That way there's plenty of room to expand.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 30, 2014, 02:53:36 pm »

I'd like to clarify something: I'm not arguing that ER should get it's own board, and I'll be honest, I'm pretty opposed to that idea in it's entirety until there other games similar quantity.

Rather, what I am suggesting is that it be moved completely off-site, onto it's own forum. That way there's plenty of room to expand.
That would be simultaneously detrimental to the game's integrity, and detrimental to everybody participating in the game. In effect, it will amount to exile from Bay12, all for what I can only phrase as the Russian saying "за всё хорошее". "For all the good it did", essentially, used in the literal rather than the sarcastic sense the phrase is usually employed in.

It won't do to effectively punish the GM, his game, and his players, essentially for being "too good for this forum". A sub-board is intended to be the polar opposite of your proposition. Promoting and supporting the game, rather than cordoning it off.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 30, 2014, 02:54:53 pm »

I think we all understood that. And no, moving the game off-site does not provide the same benefits as a subforum would, and would impose additional drawbacks that make it impractical to say the least. Everyone who would want to continue playing would have to get a new account at the new forum. A forum that would be empty, since no one would go to migrate all the old posts to the new forums. So there would be no archive of old threads, meaning that the players would have to jump back here, to Bay12, anyways to look up the old threads. Fewer players than currently would want to do that, so participation drops.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 30, 2014, 03:17:17 pm »

Moving ER away from it's original fanbase would be hanging it out to dry. It'd be like taking a tree and planting it in the desert because it was too big for other trees to keep up, it wouldn't make sense and would simply harm the whole forum in general.

That's why they want to keep ER in this forum. Sending it to it's own site would cut it off from everyone who is interested in the sort of buisness that is ER.

TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 30, 2014, 03:21:12 pm »

A new forum is the one option pretty much everyone can agree is a bad idea. :P
My opinion hasn't really changed- I think the best move here is giving ER its own subforum, and not creating some pedestal for "big/long-running/complex/better" games, because that would just lead to bad feelings and arguments over which games qualified for the subforum.

Really, Harry's pretty much made all these points already, and far more eloquently than I.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DarkArtemisFowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 30, 2014, 03:45:38 pm »

I've stated my supporting arguments for a multithread subforum already, so I'm just waiting for more people to voice opinions or for PW to get some input in.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 30, 2014, 04:09:20 pm »

Alright, as an outside opinion (In relative terms.), I would hazard that setting it up on it's own forum (Not a sub-board, it's own actual forum) would be, by far, the best option. There's be plenty of room to grow and such, far more organised since all the chatter would be put into a sub-board of that forum.

Any archival problems can be worked around by locking the threads here after some notice, and them linking to them from the new site. The only major problem is the fact that being it's own site means that he has to pay for the server, which might be a bit of a dent in the idea.
And having a whole forum for what, half a dozen threads? Kinda absurd.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 31, 2014, 09:44:23 am »

To the people voting for an ER-only subforum: while some good arguments have been put forth, remember that, even if we were all to unanimously agree on getting ER/PW his own subforum, Toady literally said he just had a bad experience with special 'personalized' subboards like this. But a more general subboard that would still serve a purpose even if PW and all his players were spirited away might be an easier sell to him.

I'm recently coming off a spat in the modding forum where we created a couple of subforums for specific people and that ended up not going well and creating some hard feelings.  I'm worried about prioritizing specific forum games similarly.

I'm not familiar enough with what's going on in there to know if it's a good idea or not, and I can't guarantee anything.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 2205