Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2494319 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #13620 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:52 pm »

Yeah, I made a clone basically as soon as I got revived.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13621 on: March 05, 2015, 07:10:23 pm »

Uh... do you accept credit?

General question: do you people think it'd be appropriate to use the team fund to help out in cases like this? One the one hand, it can be said it helps out a newbie in a constructive way. On the other hand, not going for a robobody is a luxury and might not be worth spending 'community tokens' on. No promises or anything, just curious to general opinion.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13622 on: March 05, 2015, 07:32:29 pm »

Well, considering he lost most of his gear when his body was destroyed, I'd say give him a few tokens to be nice.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Hapah

• Bay Watcher
  • The nice guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13623 on: March 05, 2015, 07:35:47 pm »

For my two selfish cents, I'd like to see how many people walk away from the other two missions first. If most of 'em/us make it out then sure, but if we've got a dozen fresh out of the freezer noobs then maybe reevaluate.

I can't be expected to remember the names of everyone I've tried to stab.

Bored? Go read the EVE Chronicles.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13624 on: March 05, 2015, 07:45:44 pm »

@RC
Well, honestly, I don't see it to be a "constructive" way of helping out a newbie; humanity is something to be treasured (if at all), not freely received. "A luxury", as you said. (Says the person whose character is among the most fierce humanity-keepers and still sports a robo-arm.)

That said, it's close to Lyra's case of community fundraiser, and the team fund is "public money"... So my answer is this: yes, help fund it, but only up to half or maybe third of the whole amount. So that it's not "wasted money" in the sense that no one is actually interested in helping the guy out, yet if public support for the project is clearly shown, then team fund probably has to follow on as well. Not as a way of "helping newbies", but as a way of being community token pool.

Now, I am seriously considering the problems and possibilities of actually starting out proper money-lending institute backed by team fund, but this is probably worth a whole different discussion.
Well, considering he lost most of his gear when his body was destroyed, I'd say give him a few tokens to be nice.
Now that is a whole different question, though, and a solution I heartily support. Just not mix it up being 'luxury reparations'. I'd prefer to turn a blind eye to this and pretend those tokens are meant to be spent on equipment or something.

(Sorry for sounding negative, I'd really want to help comrade in a pinch, but IMHO having to live with a robot body is not a 'pinch', it's sad and inevitable reality (and a whole distinct theme) of this game. )
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13625 on: March 05, 2015, 07:47:42 pm »

What if we kick start it?  :P

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13626 on: March 05, 2015, 07:49:24 pm »

Only if the stretch goals are cool enough :P
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #13627 on: March 05, 2015, 07:51:02 pm »

Only if the stretch goals are cool enough :P
Yeah, the supporters get to decide what the body looks like.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13628 on: March 05, 2015, 07:52:51 pm »

I'm pretty much of the opinion that giving someone a flesh body is purely negative- it spends tokens, and overall reduces their effectiveness.  If anything, we should pay people to swap to robobodies, rather than the other way around.

That said, I'm of the mind that loaning the tokens, with interest, is a good idea.  Say, pay a person now, and take the tokens out of their next mission payment.  I think we should allow anyone to do that, for anything, since it only benefits the team fund.

As far as pistol costs, May got an M1911 for free, because she pestered the AM.  I believe it was launched into her forehead.  Do note, however, that an M1911 is practically worthless against anything even vaugely resembling armor in ER.  Would probably breach a MK.1, but the mere fact that I say 'probably' should show how weak it is.

IIRC, silenced gauss pistols are one token.  I think someone bought several before Milno & friends infiltrated Heph's main base?  It makes sense, balance wise, since a silenced gauss pistol would be extremely weak as far as our weapons go.  Probably still better than a M1911, since the lack of a cartridge means you can use a massive projectile, but still weak.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13629 on: March 05, 2015, 08:04:16 pm »

Do I have enough for that? I can't see shit on wikia's mobile site.

Also, why does it cost money anyways?
Because we have tons of fucking robot bodies hanging around. There's piles of them in the back. But growing you a completely new human body that is a perfect copy of the old one? That takes effort.
But there's zero benefit, ecspecially with the revisions unless you make new genemods and items that make up for it.
There's zero benefit to a lot of stuff people do. Bishop spent a huge amount of time building a custom bolo gun and then never fired it once and had to leave it behind while escaping because it was too heavy.

Half the stuff in tinker is maddeningly expensive with questionable benefits. The point is that returning to a flesh body is a cosmetic thing, something that in universe requires more work then just throwing you in a robot body, and is generally less effective. It's also safe.

If you want flesh for free, ask the doc. Well, freeish.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13630 on: March 05, 2015, 08:10:31 pm »

Newbie fund becoming loanshark? Why the fuck not.

Gene mods and equipment? yes, within reason.
Reclaiming flesh bodies and other aesthetics? No, bugger off.
Charging interest? Definitely, its just good business.

Also is that bolo gun available for purchase?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #13631 on: March 05, 2015, 09:21:20 pm »

Well, the team fund is supposed to help out newbies, support Heph when we need financial help, and buy specialty mission equipment (I think).  Probably something else I forgot, too.

It has a good bit of money stored away, but if it actually starts getting used a lot that'll drain pretty quick.  For example, at one point Radio considered giving all newbies extra starting equipment, but it just couldn't be kept up for a long time.

However, if we let people borrow from it, even for cosmetic things, and have them pay interest...  it makes money.  That money can be used for more helpful things. 

And no, I don't think anyone will fail to pay interest (unless they die).  Our loanshark is a building-sized wizard capable of cutting skyscrapers in half with his mind, and he has a freaking beartrap face.  Nobody is going to miss a payment.

As for the bolo fun, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  It completely failed during it's prototyping mission.  You could copy the design though, if you paid for it yourself.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13632 on: March 05, 2015, 09:24:23 pm »

Do I have enough for that? I can't see shit on wikia's mobile site.

Also, why does it cost money anyways?
Because we have tons of fucking robot bodies hanging around. There's piles of them in the back. But growing you a completely new human body that is a perfect copy of the old one? That takes effort.
But there's zero benefit, ecspecially with the revisions unless you make new genemods and items that make up for it.
Yeah, but it makes sense in universe it would have a cost. Plus it does have a benefit: you need to at least appear human for certain black operations missions.

And weren't people previously discussing EMP-vulnerability as well? That'd be two advantages.
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13633 on: March 05, 2015, 09:33:10 pm »

As for the bolo fun, I'm pretty sure the answer is no.  It completely failed during it's prototyping mission.  You could copy the design though, if you paid for it yourself.

It din't fail exactly, but had the unfortunate circumstance of being brought(then lost) on a mission that had little to no shooting involved, so was written off.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13634 on: March 05, 2015, 10:10:27 pm »

Yeah, Bishop ended up bringing it on a terrible choice of mission; the next mission (if China-9 hadn't happened) would have been a much better test of it, what with heavy resistance.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 907 908 [909] 910 911 ... 2205