Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 2205

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette: OOC and NEW PLAYER INFO  (Read 2485579 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette OOC
« Reply #10590 on: October 30, 2014, 02:15:47 pm »

Aww c'mon now Sean, where's that can-do attitude I've come to expect from you? Just because it's not your strong suit means you'll never even try it? After all, practice makes perfect.

Anton was always a somewhat... for lack of a better word, conservatively minded scientist. Not in the sense that he's unwilling to try new things, but in the sense that he is sticking to the parts of science that he can make sense of. He excels at finding new ways to use the physics he knows, and finding new ways to break the physics he knows, but not being faced with whole new physics that he can't find a way to know.

This is why he's been avoiding manipulators despite good intelligence, and why he never purchased a Nyars artifact. He's not the kind of scientist who can take an artifact like Milno's pyramid and figure out what it does - but he's the kind of engineer who could find a way to contrive known physics into a High Energy Projector if given the knowledge of what the pyramid does, and the right tools.

Grate's little big episode was kind of spectacularly ill-timed, as he'd just tried his hand with an MFM. The total meltdown of physics, as well as the exchange with Steve where he'd been told he's not allowed to know the nature of the effects that caused it, pretty much cranked his abhorrence of space magic into overdrive. The only space magic thing he'll willingly use right now is the kinetic amp, which he's come to see more as a tool, with a specific trigger and a quantifiable effect that can act in a predictable manner.

So no, he's not likely to try working with the alien artifacts in the near future.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: October 30, 2014, 02:20:30 pm »

I'm guessing that his thing he made that got him into the HMRC didn't help.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: October 30, 2014, 02:26:42 pm »

So no, he's not likely to try working with the alien artifacts in the near future.

Ok then, sure, why not, lots of other stuff. Go interrogate one of the prisoners. Go plan out all the steps for amp factory. Go search for ways to buy ships and the special manips needed for the amp plant somewhere.

There is plenty work to be done.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: October 30, 2014, 02:27:11 pm »

Aww c'mon now Sean, where's that can-do attitude I've come to expect from you? Just because it's not your strong suit means you'll never even try it? After all, practice makes perfect.

Anton was always a somewhat... for lack of a better word, conservatively minded scientist. Not in the sense that he's unwilling to try new things, but in the sense that he is sticking to the parts of science that he can make sense of. He excels at finding new ways to use the physics he knows, and finding new ways to break the physics he knows, but not being faced with whole new physics that he can't find a way to know.

This is why he's been avoiding manipulators despite good intelligence, and why he never purchased a Nyars artifact. He's not the kind of scientist who can take an artifact like Milno's pyramid and figure out what it does - but he's the kind of engineer who could find a way to contrive known physics into a High Energy Projector if given the knowledge of what the pyramid does, and the right tools.

Grate's little big episode was kind of spectacularly ill-timed, as he'd just tried his hand with an MFM. The total meltdown of physics, as well as the exchange with Steve where he'd been told he's not allowed to know the nature of the effects that caused it, pretty much cranked his abhorrence of space magic into overdrive. The only space magic thing he'll willingly use right now is the kinetic amp, which he's come to see more as a tool, with a specific trigger and a quantifiable effect that can act in a predictable manner.

Anything against completing Lyra's "Blue" fireball system?
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: October 30, 2014, 02:29:49 pm »

That thing he made wasn't in any way connected to space magic. It was just his attempt to figure out the new physics that he thought he knew.

Also.
((I'd tell them they can count on our support. Seeing as how, if Steve's briefing is to be believed, they are going to be an important partner, then I think defending them would have been something we'd try to do anyways. Still, kinda wondering what Steve will have to say.))

On a private line, inquire Steve to our capacity of defending them. And would defending them mean not being able to defend other worlds?

I suppose it's not impossible for us to find a bit of footage of one of our completed defense ships zooming off into the mass driver tunnel, for use as proof that we can provide them with ships?

Hopefully they can't see that the ship in question is not FTL-capable.

We're also making new weapons and designing new ships for this exact purpose - at least we would be by this point in the timeline, as the high-energy lab would have been completed by the time the Sword got to its destination if we weren't doing the "simultaneous nonrelativistic time" thing.

Not as such, no. What's it do?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: October 30, 2014, 03:18:57 pm »

Spoiler: Artifacts to research (click to show/hide)

Thank you Nav, you are a fine researcher.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: October 30, 2014, 03:20:22 pm »

Doing these things are your job, and of your fellow Hephaestians. Sure, it's not as fun as tinkering, but did you ever suspect that there would be no boring administrative duties with an operation like running a factory planet?

I'm sorry, I never signed up to run a planet.  I signed up as a researcher that would be given nigh-infinite supplies to use for experiments.  Yes, I was the only person who decided to put any work into sods, I'm the guy who actually started building the SM facility, and I maintain the wiki page.  That does not mean I wanted to have the job of running an entire planet because nobody else wants it.  I'm pretty sure the same goes for Sean, despite the fact that he adopted our ship construction facilities.

And FYI Radio, I play this game because I enjoy playing this game, not because I feel like it's my job.  If the game stops being fun to play, I will stop playing it.  Therefore, I'm not gonna do the stuff that I have no interest in, regardless of how important it is to the game.  If that's a problem, kick me off of Hephaestus.

And what, exactly, is stopping you from checking it yourself?

Nothing.  Yes, I could go research what's there, and might do so if nobody responded.  However, I'm not the guy who really wants to experiment with weird stuff- it interests me somewhat, but it isn't a priority.  If somebody else, who really wants someone to work on that stuff, gives me a list, then I'm more likely to work on it. 

Mostly it's because we don't have the resources to do it. We don't even have the resources to build another construction ship right now, much less a whole orbital facility.

Okay, I'll admit that I've generally been pretty busy recently, and may have missed PW saying something like this.  That said, I don't remember PW mentioning our resource limitations applying to anything aside from the production expansion, and I already said to shut down sod production so we could do that.

Also, in the future, don't hesitate to ask me to shut down sods, or refrain from building related stuff.  I'm only doing it so that we're using our production ability for something useful. Also because I like watching the numbers go up.

@NAV

Thank you for that.

What's it do?

If memory serves, it's a glove-ish device that uses automanips to summon a little blue plasma ball that you can move around.  Since the automanips are so small, it's probably unworkable- they'd run out of juice.

Here's a general question to anyone interested: Since we now have a nice little list of artifacts, why don't people propose experiments to use on something?  Preferably with actual hypotheses and purposes.  If people come up with good ideas, I'll try them.

Quite frankly, I don't have too many ideas for experiments to do on this stuff.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10597 on: October 30, 2014, 03:30:48 pm »

I'm sorry, I never signed up to run a planet.  I signed up as a researcher that would be given nigh-infinite supplies to use for experiments.  Yes, I was the only person who decided to put any work into sods, I'm the guy who actually started building the SM facility, and I maintain the wiki page.  That does not mean I wanted to have the job of running an entire planet because nobody else wants it.  I'm pretty sure the same goes for Sean, despite the fact that he adopted our ship construction facilities.

And FYI Radio, I play this game because I enjoy playing this game, not because I feel like it's my job.  If the game stops being fun to play, I will stop playing it.  Therefore, I'm not gonna do the stuff that I have no interest in, regardless of how important it is to the game.  If that's a problem, kick me off of Hephaestus.

Oh sure, I understand that. I'm not asking that you put all your effort into things you don't like, but a little more balance would be nice. The fact you and Sean have done some other (non-tinker) work is very good, and I thank you for that. But you can't exactly say people (either Miya or Simus) have been very demanding. You've both been given a lot of time for pet projects, but did you really think that you'd never have to do anything that's not your immediate interest when coming to Hep? If anything, getting some of these things done will mean more options in the future (eg once amp factory is done, new flavors of space magic can be invented). For comparison: on my mission, most of the players cannot do anything but sit and wait. Fun? Perhaps not really (though I personally aren't bored, lots of research to do). But necessary, in order to get to the funner parts later on.

Look, I'll admit I may have been coming on a bit too strong here, and I'm not saying either of you are useless or haven't contributed. Just that there isn't a good balance right now between things that are fun to do, and things that need to be done in order to advance the game/Hep capabilities.

Here's a general question to anyone interested: Since we now have a nice little list of artifacts, why don't people propose experiments to use on something?  Preferably with actual hypotheses and purposes.  If people come up with good ideas, I'll try them.
For glowworm weapon: shoot at empty container, let ARESTEVE do tests on what it shoots to see what it is.

Shoot at robotbody and observe in detail what it does, can use scanning techniques to find out more.

Research the weapon itself using non-destructive methods, eg scanning, whether it needs ammo, if there are dials or anything, ...
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:54:25 pm by Radio Controlled »

Beirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: October 30, 2014, 03:35:43 pm »

Hey, if we get the pill machine on ship, maybe we can just politely ask Miya to make some materials for it. Solves the lack of resources problem as long as we don't over tax Miya.
Because everything is Megaman when you have an arm cannon.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: October 30, 2014, 03:37:52 pm »

Hey, if we get the pill machine on ship, maybe we can just politely ask Miya to make some materials for it. Solves the lack of resources problem as long as we don't over tax Miya.

Sure, why not. As long as it's isn't spess mahgick or i need mind points for something else, ask away.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: October 30, 2014, 03:41:27 pm »

If you heph guys wanna just be lazy and fuck around prototyping becaise your responsibilities are boring i dont actually have a problem with that, just make the QEC droids so we can bring in someone who will do the boring shit.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 03:52:55 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: October 30, 2014, 03:56:54 pm »

Not as such, no. What's it do?
((incomplete design, I have some options for how I want to go to handle the token costs, my current plans involve removing the automanip and making having a microwave amp/manip mandatory for useage. here's the relevant quotes from a notepad doc I keep around:
((Objective: hands-free device that re-creates "Blue" - the fireball Lyra summoned during anti-mindfuck training with the AM. Probably uses EXO, but was that was never nailed down for sure.
note the dates: it's been a long time since this was mentioned, I'm not at all surprised it was forgotten.))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

kj1225

• Bay Watcher
  • A tricky dick that can't be impeached
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: October 30, 2014, 09:52:02 pm »

I wish I had a reason for my character to dress up as a pirate for the next batch of missions. You know, like a belated Halloween celebration.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: October 30, 2014, 09:54:05 pm »

@Lenglon: Was this back when the altered-bug-someone was tearing up the wreck room? I remember catching bits of it between arthropodic gruesome goodness, and it seemed really cool but it was hard to follow.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: October 30, 2014, 10:02:46 pm »

@Lenglon: Was this back when the altered-bug-someone was tearing up the wreck room? I remember catching bits of it between arthropodic gruesome goodness, and it seemed really cool but it was hard to follow.
((basically, yes. it started slightly earlier, and ended later, but not by much in either case.))
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 2205