Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Newbie tips?  (Read 686 times)

UBCS Recruit Muffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Newbie tips?
« on: January 28, 2014, 01:40:04 pm »

I just started fortress mode with the quickstart guide, and it's going decently (Besides a couple of pits I accidentally created) But is there anything not covered in the guide that I should be aware of? Certain tips and such?

EDIT: Also, my dwarves aren't doing anything I tell them to, I put tasks onto the carpentry workshop, and my carpenters won't chop wood or haul logs, I checked and they have those jobs checked, so I don't know why they won't do that. If it's any importance, I'm in the side of a mountain and haven't hit any stone.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:06:55 pm by UBCS Recruit Muffin »

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie tips?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:09:33 pm »

Certain stockpiles should be created in linked pairs.  The most common use of this is to control the flow of seeds.

Stockpile A accepts seeds from anywhere, but doesn't accept barrels.  Gives to Stockpile B.  Stockpile B only takes from links and accepts barrels.  That way, seeds go to A, while farmers use seeds from B.  Otherwise, farmers will grab a barrel full of seeds, preventing other farmers from getting to them and creating tons of cancellation spam.  I also started doing this for armor and weapon stockpiles to prevent dwarves from wandering outside with full bins of weapons and armor just to collect 1 piece.

Also, my dwarves aren't doing anything I tell them to, I put tasks onto the carpentry workshop, and my carpenters won't chop wood or haul logs, I checked and they have those jobs checked, so I don't know why they won't do that. If it's any importance, I'm in the side of a mountain and haven't hit any stone.

Make sure carpentry, wood cutting, and wood hauling are all enabled for the appropriate dwarves.  If you haven't already, try out Dwarf Therapist.  It makes managing jobs a lot easier.

Oh, and welcome to DF :)!   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:19:58 pm by VerdantSF »

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:17:39 pm »

You have to fell trees by ordering your woodcutter to do it (d-t).

Judging by your second question, you are very new to this game, and I'm happy to welcome you to our crazy society. Also a thing not covered in the guide: you are going to lose your first fortress. And maybe second.

Feel free to ask here anything about the game and good luck.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 02:20:07 pm by Urist McRas »
The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

UBCS Recruit Muffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:32 pm »

You have to fell trees by ordering your woodcutter to do it (d-t).

Judging by your second question, you are very new to this game, and I'm happy to welcome you to our crazy society. Also a thing not covered in the guide: you are going to lose your first fortress. And maybe second.

Feel free to ask here anything about the game and good luck.

I'm not new to the game itself, I played adventurer mode a lot, but only a small bit of actual Fortress mode. Don't worry by the way, I don't doubt that I'm gonna lose the fortress. Another thing is that I do designate trees, and cutting trees isn't really the biggest issue, it's the fact that they won't haul in logs, or do carpentry.

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 02:41:05 pm »

Another thing is that I do designate trees, and cutting trees isn't really the biggest issue, it's the fact that they won't haul in logs, or do carpentry.

Assuming you have all the requisite jobs enabled, do you have any burrows that might be interfering with their tasks?