Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Next Release? Speculations?  (Read 3308 times)

DizzyCrash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Next Release? Speculations?
« on: January 24, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »

The last update was in 2012!? Thats a huge amount of time... the next release MUST be just around the corner, right? Specially since the game is in a unplayable state without significant modding to give all the entities the same city types..
So has there been any news at all? any speculations about it? any form of news to give us something to look forward to?

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Next Release? Speculations?
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:52:19 pm »

I've heard nothing about a release date.

Personally I expect it to be a long way off (half a year?), usually there's an extended bugfixing phase before release, and currently Toady is still busy adding new features.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 12:56:35 pm »

I've heard nothing about a release date.

Personally I expect it to be a long way off (half a year?), usually there's an extended bugfixing phase before release, and currently Toady is still busy adding new features.

Not entirely true.
Even Toady himself has said that he hopes to be done with the main feature list this month, but there are two things in the way:

• There would still be the testing/bugfixing period, but that one usually lasts about two weeks before the release.
  • He said that he'd be done with the list mid-November and the original release date was March 2013 so...

So here's how I imagine the release dates right now:
January - borderline impossible
February - very likely
March - guaranteed then or sooner

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 03:25:26 pm »

I speculate there will be at least four more "next release speculation" threads before the next version is released in mid-March.

I also speculate that I will see at least seven people call version 34.11 "unplayable" for Arbitrary Reason X despite the game's current public state being entirely playable.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 03:35:55 pm by Nasikabatrachus »
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:47:37 pm »

NONE MAY KNOW THE HOUR OR THE DAY.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Necrisha

• Bay Watcher
  • 0.0 0.o o.0 o.o -.- zzzZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 08:08:29 pm »

But somebody WILL guess the right month :P
EDIT: Keas restricted to tropical forests where they belong.  Those evil, EVIL, foul little things.

Edit: The baby murderer became a friend of the fortress, which started a loyalty cascade, and now most of the squad is dead.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 08:25:53 pm »

I'm a  little amused to see in my prior predictions that I genuinely believed it would be released late last year.  I'm pretty confident it'll come out by March.  I'm a little skeptical of a February release, but it's possible.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 02:46:52 am »

So here's how I imagine the release dates right now:
January - borderline impossible
February - very likely
March - guaranteed then or sooner

Silly. You do realize that 0.34.11 was the last public release, right? All of the work since 06/04/2012 has really just been for the Adams bros' private version. :)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:51:48 am by Uristsonsonson »

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 01:01:16 pm »

I must be the best gamer ever to have done so well at playing an unplayable game. I've done the impossible!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 02:37:41 pm »

We are all unplayers.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 01:08:38 am »

It seems Toady has entered a bug-fixing phase so the update can't be that far away - probably mid-March.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 01:38:04 am »

It seems Toady has entered a bug-fixing phase so the update can't be that far away - probably mid-March.

Not really. He's currently fixing all the stuff he broke when he rewrote much of the dwarf behaviour systems a while back, so it's not as much bugs as finishing the rewrite. When he actually announces it's only bugs left it shouldn't be more than a few weeks off.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:06:34 am »

Not really. He's currently fixing all the stuff he broke when he rewrote much of the dwarf behaviour systems a while back, so it's not as much bugs as finishing the rewrite. When he actually announces it's only bugs left it shouldn't be more than a few weeks off.

Since he's discovering problems right now... let's see the history behind that kind of thing:

3 weeks before DF2012 after finishing all the features.

3 months with DF2010, by the looks. It could be a while yet.

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 05:15:35 am »

True. I very much hope it won't take much longer after that anyway. He has obviously been doing some amount of bug fixing all along and he won't be finishing them all before release by a long stretch, so I guess it's really mostly a matter of how much time he wants to spend on it before that, minus the time taken to fix truly game crippling bugs. Taking into account his previous release estimates those can't possibly include months of bug fixing, making the assumption he'll leave most of the minor bug fixing until after the first release plausible.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 05:27:56 am »

And now half the community started to wonder what kinds of hilarious "unintended features" might slip into DF2014...
I'm in the other half, if you're wondering.
Pages: [1] 2