Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304051 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #4140 on: April 01, 2014, 09:49:37 am »

the loss of ruling dynasty in 1612 (in which year the Russian throne was almost occupied by Poland, but the militia driven them out)

Is that the one where you burned the Polish pretender, stuffed his ashes (or maybe his corpse) into a cannon and shot the cannon towards Poland? I've heard of that.
Oh yeah. That. Good times, good times.

EDIT: Wait, I'm wrong. That was the False Dimitry The Third, which was pretending to be the miraculously saved prince Dimitry from the old dynasty.
._.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: April 01, 2014, 09:54:59 am »

You don't know what pain is.
Saying this to a Pole, really? I don't think there's a nation on Earth that's been screwed over by it's allies more than Poland.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: April 01, 2014, 09:59:28 am »

Apparently there's Russians over 600 years old. I am impressed.
Love, scriver~

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:20 am »

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_country_has_been_invaded_the_most

How about Korea?

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080817041012AAV6q4w

Vietnam, and pretty much anybody that is on an invasion corridor or in a highly strategic zone.

Of course though, the word country here is rather arbitrary since one person in the second link mentions Alsace, which was it's own country once.

Apparently there's Russians over 600 years old. I am impressed.

lol scriver......
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:03:59 am by smjjames »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: April 01, 2014, 10:02:32 am »

Quote from: Sergarr
We survived more than 300 years of near-occupation under Mongol control, in which thousands of Russian people were killed or brought into slavery countless invasions by foreign forces, including the both World Wars, the Civil War, the loss of ruling dynasty in 1612 (in which year the Russian throne was almost occupied by Poland, but the militia driven them out). You don't know what pain is. This is nothing. The Russian will is unbreakable.
LOL.  Stalin would disagree about unbreakable will. Also, I don't see what is that scary in Mongol (in fact Tatar) "occupation".  Paying tribute is nothing comparing what Iberia got under Arab rule or Ireland that had a lot of "fun" first with Norseman then with English or Balkans under Ottoman rule or many others.

Surprisingly Klitchko decided to opt out and will run for the mayor of Kiev instead. He  supports Poroshenko in the presidential race

Other than that all as expected. Tymoshenko uses demagogy and promises just everything, Symonenko(a commie) blame capitalists and promise to bring USSR back, Minor parties are using presidential campaign for PR before expected parliamentary elections and so on.
Would like better list of candidates but that would be asking for too much :) Political elites can't change for better that fast
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: April 01, 2014, 10:03:20 am »

It would hurt a lot economically to stop buying gas from Russia right now. Even during the Cold War Europe bought gas from Russia. However Europe is probably going to try become less dependent on Russian energy in the long term, that's been stated by a lot of politicians lately.

Yes it would hurt but 1) the damage would be larger in Russia then Europe 2) Europe has a much bigger economy to take up the slack.

Fuel exports to Europe are 15% of all Russian economic activity.  But Russian energy is only 25% of just the fuel sector in Europe.  The natural gas that is the lifeblood of the Russian economy accounts for just 5% of European electrical production.

If Europe was willing to absorb some costs they could squash Russia like a bug.  Russia's economy is almost tailor designed to be vulnerable to sanctions.  European politicians aren't eager to take that step but it's a very credible possibility in the new future.  When people are talking about the possibility of major armed conflict seriously a 5% substitution of electricity with higher cost alternatives doesn't sound too bad, does it?  In fact from an economic standpoint Europe would be doing itself a favor by stimulating it's depressed economy with new energy investments.

You scaring shits out of me  ;) My family lost all bank savings in 90s and parents wages was delayed up to 14-16 months at peak. Guess what, we still here. You really understimate endurance and little needs of slavs, thats biggest mistake West usually tends to make.

Besides, some EU countries completely depend on our gas (liek Poland is 92% or something) and belt of mediterranean countries quite dependant on our tourists money (it's millions of ppl a year). There is much more to that list but I cba to provide links, because any prooflinks is going to be ignored or refuted anyways.
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: April 01, 2014, 10:08:37 am »

My family lost all bank savings in 90s and parents wages was delayed up to 14-16 months at peak. Guess what, we still here. You really understimate endurance and little needs of slaves
Fixed that for you. Because only a mental slave can keep going to work while not being paid for more than a year
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: April 01, 2014, 10:10:57 am »

@Ukranian Ranger: Vote for the party that is equivalent to the green party in the US.

My family lost all bank savings in 90s and parents wages was delayed up to 14-16 months at peak. Guess what, we still here. You really understimate endurance and little needs of slaves
Fixed that for you. Because only a mental slave can keep going on work while not being paid for more than a year

More like corporate or government slaves maybe.

Aren't Ukranians of the Slavic group as well though?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:31 am »

Surprisingly Klitchko decided to opt out and will run for the mayor of Kiev instead. He  supports Poroshenko in the presidential race

Other than that all as expected. Tymoshenko uses demagogy and promises just everything, Symonenko(a commie) blame capitalists and promise to bring USSR back, Minor parties are using presidential campaign for PR before expected parliamentary elections and so on.
Would like better list of candidates but that would be asking for too much :) Political elites can't change for better that fast
I heard that. What is your opinion of Poroshenko? I don't know much about him, but as a billionnaire he doesn't look much different from other people in Ukrainian politics.
Tymoshenko has lost a lot of credibility here with her recent aggressive remarks.

Besides, some EU countries completely depend on our gas (liek Poland is 92% or something) and belt of mediterranean countries quite dependant on our tourists money (it's millions of ppl a year). There is much more to that list but I cba to provide links, because any prooflinks is going to be ignored or refuted anyways.
You are absolutely right. Besides the gas dependency, Russian tourism is a major source of income in Southern Europe. Gas is the most obvious connection, but there are plenty of Russian investments in the banking sector and all kinds of industries.
So immediate full sanctions are practically impossible and therefore extremely unlikely. It is rather the long term course that might change after the recent events.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: April 01, 2014, 10:11:58 am »

Theoretically speaking, couldn't NATO send troops into de facto Ukraine to "maintain order" and "protect the lives of Ukrainian citizens" while the Ukrainian government sent their armed forces into Crimea to "restore order" and kick the Russians out? After all, if Putin can finagle with legality, then so can Ukraine.

I mean, if Putin decides to attack Ukraine, he'd then have to go through NATO troops. If he has any sanity left, he won't do that, will he?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: April 01, 2014, 10:12:34 am »

Fixed that for you. Because only a mental slave can keep going to work while not being paid for more than a year
A nice remark from a nation of bandits.
._.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:01 am »

How predictable you are. I put "slavs" there to test you reaction. I was not wrong.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: April 01, 2014, 10:13:58 am »

And a nice remark from a nation descended from norse 'barbarians'.

Just slinging around insults if that's what we are doing...... Though pretty tame as insults go.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:16:55 am by smjjames »

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: April 01, 2014, 10:14:40 am »

@Ukranian Ranger: Vote for the party that is equivalent to the green party in the US.

Fixed that for you. Because only a mental slave can keep going on work while not being paid for more than a year

More like corporate or government slaves maybe.

Aren't Ukranians of the Slavic group as well though?

Thats exactly my point.

edit: btw, Ukraine had exactly same problems with delayed wages. I wonder, what it tells about UR if he not aknowledged of this fact. And that delay was redeemed eventually.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 10:19:42 am by gogis »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: April 01, 2014, 10:16:48 am »

And a nice remark from a nation descended from norse 'barbarians'.

Just slinging around insults if that's what we are doing......
You've just insulted the whole Scandinavia.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 286