Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304155 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3960 on: March 30, 2014, 01:39:52 am »

1) Complete air superiority.  The F-22 might be an overdesigned money sink but it's also fantastically well suited for a first strike role fighting something like the modern Russian airforce.  Behind it is top notch AWACS and a huge arsenal of European and American fighters and joint role craft to exploit this.  The Russians have less then 100 post Soviet fighter craft.  They'd be outnumbered and facing planes that far outclass them.  The importance of complete air superiority in a modern conflict cant be overstated, it's said that tanks simply can not operate on a battlefield where the enemy has air superiority.  Look at the first and second gulf wars to see this taken to the extremes.
You underestimate the Russian Anti-Air Defence. Suprisingly, all Americans seems to forget the fact that the Russian Anti0Air is much, much better than the American one.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3961 on: March 30, 2014, 01:46:47 am »

Russia has one advantage though: being Russia. Landwars in Asia aside, I don't recall anybody ever marching in there unscathed, and clearly no amount of superior fire- or manpower can overcome that obstacle.

[/snark]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3962 on: March 30, 2014, 02:07:31 am »

1) Complete air superiority.  The F-22 might be an overdesigned money sink but it's also fantastically well suited for a first strike role fighting something like the modern Russian airforce.  Behind it is top notch AWACS and a huge arsenal of European and American fighters and joint role craft to exploit this.  The Russians have less then 100 post Soviet fighter craft.  They'd be outnumbered and facing planes that far outclass them.  The importance of complete air superiority in a modern conflict cant be overstated, it's said that tanks simply can not operate on a battlefield where the enemy has air superiority.  Look at the first and second gulf wars to see this taken to the extremes.
You underestimate the Russian Anti-Air Defence. Suprisingly, all Americans seems to forget the fact that the Russian Anti0Air is much, much better than the American one.
I dunno. As far as I found, most of the Russian anti air systems seem to be dating back to the 1960's.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3963 on: March 30, 2014, 02:24:28 am »

I dunno. As far as I found, most of the Russian anti air systems seem to be dating back to the 1960's.
The quintessential Russian mobile AA, the one that any given Russian is most likely to remember if asked - the Tunguska, aka SA-19 Grison - actually hails from the late 1970s. We've had quite a lot of advances since then, too.

Add in the fact that radar stealth technology was actually invented by Nazi Germany... well by Germany in principle, during either the first or second world war. So the missiles are much more advanced than the technology aircraft have to defend against them.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 02:28:41 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3964 on: March 30, 2014, 02:52:51 am »

If Russia were to lose a conventional war in Ukraine, NATO could keep marching on Moscow to neutralize the threat for good. I'm not saying they would, but could Putin trust them not to? And it doesn't make sense to wait for total defeat of the conventional army to deploy the nukes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3965 on: March 30, 2014, 03:00:18 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_%28missile%29

A liquidation of lack of knowledge is in order.
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3966 on: March 30, 2014, 03:08:52 am »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-300_%28missile%29

A liquidation of lack of knowledge is in order.
I think he's referring to this one: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-75_Dvina
Which, while indeed the most widespread and numerous SAM system (much like the Kalashnikov :P) is vastly outclassed by modern systems, and has had countermeasures for it developed quite some time ago. Which is the reason it's phased out by the S-300 pretty much everywhere.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3967 on: March 30, 2014, 03:21:10 am »

Then again, the S-300 is also 30 years old.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3968 on: March 30, 2014, 03:33:55 am »

Then again, the S-300 is also 30 years old.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

30 years old. Clearly M1 Abrams is not fit for modern fighting *sarcasm*
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3969 on: March 30, 2014, 03:40:30 am »

Without refits and Active defense systems, tanks are pretty fragile against RPG and other missile weaponry. Their performance would be quite substandard.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3970 on: March 30, 2014, 03:47:58 am »

Without refits and Active defense systems, tanks are pretty fragile against RPG and other missile weaponry. Their performance would be quite substandard.
And the S-300 had a lot of refits too, you know.
._.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3971 on: March 30, 2014, 04:02:22 am »

Add in the fact that radar stealth technology was actually invented by Nazi Germany... well by Germany in principle, during either the first or second world war. So the missiles are much more advanced than the technology aircraft have to defend against them.

You might want to re-analyze your logic there- they aren't up there flying messerschmitts...

@dick-measuring
As civilians, what we hear about military tests & their results is virtually guaranteed to be skewed.
If NATO had tested the SAM system and found they could defeat it, they're not going to tell Russia.

The most pertinent information, I saw, was that they'd gotten their hands on something as recently as 2012.

Now, I'd say everyone's pretty close-together as far as tech goes.
But for the edge? Tech-wise?
One of these parties is putting in more than half of the total global expenditure.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:06:53 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3972 on: March 30, 2014, 04:23:29 am »

Of course, Nazi Germany with it's super-weapons and super-tanks pretty much proved that technology isn't everything, if your technologies are at least on the same field/within a few decades of each other. (I.E. tanks versus tanks, not machine-guns versus spearmen. And even then, Zulu.)
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #3973 on: March 30, 2014, 04:33:58 am »

Ayup.

But, as per mainiac's post, the numbers would be at least near-even, if not favoring NATO.

And, gas pipes. There won't be no invasion without diplomacy literally hanging itself.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:37:39 am by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3974 on: March 30, 2014, 05:10:54 am »

Of course, Nazi Germany with it's super-weapons and super-tanks pretty much proved that technology isn't everything, if your technologies are at least on the same field/within a few decades of each other. (I.E. tanks versus tanks, not machine-guns versus spearmen. And even then, Zulu.)
Well, not really. They just proved that strength in numbers is a thing, and that even the worldst most advanced weapon doesn't do much without supplies.
Pages: 1 ... 263 264 [265] 266 267 ... 286