Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304195 times)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3885 on: March 26, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

Also, History shows that Russians never complained against a war. Unless it was not as victorious as they expected
The Soviet-Polish war of 1919-1921 was definitely not victorious and resulted in Soviets being defeated, yet pretty much no one in Soviet Russia complained about it for some reason.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3886 on: March 26, 2014, 05:32:05 pm »

Also, History shows that Russians never complained against a war. Unless it was not as victorious as they expected

Last I heard, WWII was pretty unpopular. :p

Actually, question time for our Russian friends: What would be the typical view on stuff like the Winter War? Mistake of the past, or justified war for whatever reason?
With the Mainila bombing, I'd say it's pretty unjustified. But then again, I'm not a Russian.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3887 on: March 26, 2014, 05:35:01 pm »

So your opinion of the war is that it's all fine, except for that bit where Russians died?  :o

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3888 on: March 26, 2014, 05:38:20 pm »

Speaking about domestic popularity. Russia is doomed to have huge economic problems if not now then few years later. It has an outdated and corrupted economy, Gas and Oil can't provide economical growth forever.

There are no better excuse than a war\sanctions to explain why country hits recession.
Else they'll need to admit that Putin's way to manage economy are not better than  Yeltsin's. The only difference is that Yeltsin had no Bush to spike oil prices with wars :D (Yes, I know it is not the only reason why oil prices went up)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3889 on: March 26, 2014, 05:46:41 pm »

Winter war was a particularly poorly planned and unsuccessful landgrab. Everything we tried to accomplish could have been done much better peacefully.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3890 on: March 26, 2014, 05:48:12 pm »

But you see nothing wrong about a landgrab per se?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3891 on: March 26, 2014, 05:51:55 pm »

Winter war was a particularly poorly planned and unsuccessful landgrab. Everything we tried to accomplish could have been done much better peacefully.
unsuccessful landgrab

this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3892 on: March 26, 2014, 05:54:45 pm »

Considering that the plan was to annex all Finland. Yep. Unsuccessful
(You don't create a puppet government if you don't plan to annex)

Finland is a great example that you must fight even if the war looks hopeless
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3893 on: March 26, 2014, 06:06:08 pm »

I have to point out that naval base in Hanko and area around it was rented to USSR for several decades, not "handed over" like the islands in the gulf other marked territory.

And I'll have to disagree on this one. Given the near-facistic goverment in Finland at the time, and Soviet support in the civil war to the side that wanted to join USSR, I don't think there was any chance for Finland to peacefully cede any territory for Russia.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3894 on: March 26, 2014, 06:16:34 pm »

I wonder if Putin's popularity might drop a little when people catch on that the money needed to run Crimea will be drawn from the state welfare fund and regional budgets (Krasnodar Krai gets to be first).

And according to Putin, the winter war was to "correct mistakes" too. Is there a list somewhere of mistakes that remain to be corrected?

Without the winter war there would not have been the continuation war, with hundreds of thousands of deaths and lots of troops tied up in the north that were needed elsewhere.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3895 on: March 26, 2014, 06:24:16 pm »

I wonder if Putin's popularity might drop a little when people catch on that the money needed to run Crimea will be drawn from the state welfare fund and regional budgets (Krasnodar Krai gets to be first).

Well, did russia pay ukraine for basses in crimea? If yes, than they could use that money for crimea it self if its a lot
Make love not war

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3896 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:24 pm »

Well, did russia pay ukraine for basses in crimea? If yes, than they could use that money for crimea it self if its a lot
I think it was large discount on Russian gas, not actual money.
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3897 on: March 26, 2014, 06:31:41 pm »

I think it was large discount on Russian gas, not actual money.
Well in a way thats also money  :)
Make love not war

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3898 on: March 26, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »

The rent was about $100 million annually. The direct cost of running Crimea is expected to be at least $2.2 billion annually, but likely to be much higher.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 06:39:43 pm by olemars »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3899 on: March 26, 2014, 06:40:45 pm »

Well, Krasnodar Krai has no right to complain after Sochi...

I am more interested how will Crimeans feel several months  later. Visited one Crimean very pro-Russian forum and they dislike some stuff already. Like EU promising that there are will be no Visas for Russian citizens from Crimea, no Ukrainians trains arriving in Crimea, inability to take money from Ukrainian banks and some other stuff. Of cause they  blame bad Ukrainian government that just want to create problems for Crimeans not great Putin.

PS. I think the  next summer touristic season in Crimea will be very successful
Pages: 1 ... 258 259 [260] 261 262 ... 286