Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304293 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3705 on: March 25, 2014, 06:07:48 am »

As far as the international community, not sure, domestically I know a few people that are fed up with the veto power all together. Both sides of the void tend to use it for their own benefit rather than to promote peace.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3706 on: March 25, 2014, 06:11:31 am »

No government in the West AFAIK, but then Putin doesn't have a monopoly on double-standard.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3707 on: March 25, 2014, 07:19:07 am »

Did anyone even suggest booting the United States from G8, for Serbia, or Iraq or anything? Did anyone put forward a plan of economic sanctions against the United States? Did anyone suggest isolating the United States? Were American politicians banned from entering the EU? Did the EU freeze their assets? Did they cut off any political, economic or military cooperation?

No.  And?

Pointing out vague parallels between events in very different contexts doesn't constitute a study of foreign policy.  It doesn't even constitute a study of Russian opinions because very few Russians are thinking along the lines you are.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3708 on: March 25, 2014, 07:29:12 am »

NATO simply started bombing Serbia without the UN's consent, and Russian resolution condemning it didn't do anything because America and its allies voted against it.
A permanent member of the UN security counsel using its powers to frustrate defensive measures? Never...
Did anyone even suggest booting the United States from G8, for Serbia, or Iraq or anything? Did anyone put forward a plan of economic sanctions against the United States? Did anyone suggest isolating the United States? Were American politicians banned from entering the EU? Did the EU freeze their assets? Did they cut off any political, economic or military cooperation?

The problem is if someone else did something wrong, it does not give russia right to do it also. Yes, there are double standards, and yes USA did far worse crap than russia is doing now, but no matter how big shit USA/NATO did in the past, there is no excuse for russia doing the same. Russia is simply in wrong here, as same as USA was back than.
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3709 on: March 25, 2014, 07:33:48 am »

Also Russia could have done just that if it had wanted to. So not really a double standard, just a difference in power - which means that Russia should cling to international law as hard as it can to stand a chance against America...

@Expelling ethnic Russians: I'd condemn any such action, but seeing how Russia has acted in its neighborhood since 2008 I'd completely understand if, let's say, Estonia started to expell all the stateless ethnic Russians. It's not something I'd advocate, but it's the logical consequence of Russia's policies.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3710 on: March 25, 2014, 07:45:16 am »

@Expelling ethnic Russians: I'd condemn any such action, but seeing how Russia has acted in its neighborhood since 2008 I'd completely understand if, let's say, Estonia started to expell all the stateless ethnic Russians. It's not something I'd advocate, but it's the logical consequence of Russia's policies.

You know, if international community swallows the expelling of large ethnical groups, I'd be completely dissapointed about it. But whatever, we would expell Caucassians that perform crimes or form ethnical bands. Say, to Siberia to where they came from.
Really, not all the Caucassians are unpleasant guys. Moreover, most of them are nice people with ancient traditions and stuff, very hospitable. But the minority that are fuckups make the whole group look wrong.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3711 on: March 25, 2014, 07:57:39 am »

Common, expelling ethnic Russians by the government that can't ban Russian TV channels? That is a funny assumption.

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3712 on: March 25, 2014, 08:00:20 am »

Actually, the logical consequence of Russia's policies would be quite opposite, and that is to be scared to do anything what you are saying.
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3713 on: March 25, 2014, 08:02:06 am »

Actually, the logical consequence of Russia's policies would be quite opposite, and that is to be scared to do anything what you are saying preemptively hand oneself over to Russia.
FTFY. Also, not saying it's a sensible course of action, mind you.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3714 on: March 25, 2014, 08:06:45 am »

Actually, the logical consequence of Russia's policies would be quite opposite, and that is to be scared to do anything what you are saying preemptively hand oneself over to Russia.
FTFY. Also, not saying it's a sensible course of action, mind you.

Not sure I understand what now you are trying to say, is it that estoniea would preemptively hand itself  to Russia now? Or that ethnic Russians will try to do it?
Make love not war

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3715 on: March 25, 2014, 08:45:31 am »

The two possible courses of action the neighbors of Russia can take are:
1) Fighting back
2) Giving in

The extremes of these courses would be 1) ethnic cleansings, to rob Russia of any pretext for invasion, and 2) letting oneself be annexed immediately.
None of these are sensible, desirable, or realistic! But it might be interesting to keep them in mind, in order to evaluate new developments.
The Bay12 postcard club

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3716 on: March 25, 2014, 08:57:36 am »

1) Fighting back
2) Giving in

The extremes of these courses would be 1) ethnic cleansings, to rob Russia of any pretext for invasion, and 2) letting oneself be annexed immediately.
None of these are sensible, desirable, or realistic! But it might be interesting to keep them in mind, in order to evaluate new developments.
Sorry, but there is little logic in your post.

1) will actually bring a russian invasion
2) letting to be annexed? You mean, if russia already moves on the country? Otherwise there is no reason for 2) if russia is not interested.

Make love not war

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3717 on: March 25, 2014, 09:05:58 am »

http://rt.com/news/muzychko-avakov-revenge-ukraine-109/

And the revolution consumes itself, as always.

Ukraine has no future with leaders like that.
._.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3718 on: March 25, 2014, 09:11:15 am »

1) Fighting back
2) Giving in

2) letting to be annexed? You mean, if russia already moves on the country? Otherwise there is no reason for 2) if russia is not interested.

Yeah, the most reasonable course of action for a smart government of any small nation is just keeping calm and carrying on. Best way to avoid any kind of trouble is just making sure your population is happy and the general mood is stable. Neither Russia, nor anyone else, will just up and move into a stable region that does not want them there. (maybe except the US) Both parts of that clause are important - Crimea was neither. Ukraine is unstable, but the general consensus of the majority of the public - so far - is that Russia should stay out, so my guess is out it will stay unless something downright nasty develops.

It's kinda hard to imagine a stable region that will want Russia to come to them though, or more precisely I think that if the government of that region wants to stay as is, and the people as a whole want some changes - like joining another country - the region will pretty soon cease being 'stable'. :P
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3719 on: March 25, 2014, 09:13:00 am »

1) Fighting back
2) Giving in

Yeah, the most reasonable course of action for a smart government of any small nation is just keeping calm and carrying on. Best way to avoid any kind of trouble is just making sure your population is happy and the general mood is stable. Neither Russia, nor anyone else, will just up and move into a stable region that does not want them there. (maybe except the US) Both parts of that clause are important - Crimea was neither. Ukraine is unstable, but the general consensus of the majority of the public - so far - is that Russia should stay out, so my guess is out it will stay unless something downright nasty develops.

It's kinda hard to imagine a stable region that will want Russia to come to them though, or more precisely I think that if the government of that region wants to stay as is, and the people as a whole want some changes - like joining another country - the region will pretty soon cease being 'stable'. :P
The nasty is going to happen very soon. See my post above.
._.
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 [248] 249 250 ... 286