Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304340 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3660 on: March 24, 2014, 12:55:46 pm »

You mean that Putin may wait till situation in Ukraine destabilizes further  and move troops in after that?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: March 24, 2014, 01:09:03 pm »

You mean that Putin may wait till situation in Ukraine destabilizes further  and move troops in after that?
I mean he won't have to move troops anywhere else unless somebody actually asks him to. And I didn't mean just the Ukraine - however humorous it may seem, other contestable territories holding their own little referendums is entirely possible, even if highly unlikely to succeed.

Even then, Crimea will be enough of a strain on our existing resources as is - we just won't have the infrastructure capacity to outright acquire any more territory. It'll take time and effort to organize things there until they once again run smoothly. Just compensating for the lost electrical power supply is going to be quite the project on its own, with both temporary measures needed yesterday and the more permanent solutions rerouted from elsewhere. Add on to that economical restructuring to anticipate any further moves by the West (I've already backed up my Steam library in case Valve caves in, so I'm good), and it's pretty clear that any further annexatory movements are not in Russia's - or Putin's - interests in the slightest.

Plus, if anyone's going to move troops into Ukraine now, it'll most likely be NATO. It's more than likely that everyone's already mobilized enough that we won't beat anyone else to the punch in any other destabilizing region.

The only way we'll gain more territory after Crimea, at least in foreseeable future, is if that territory just up and changes flag on its own.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: March 24, 2014, 01:14:07 pm »

Some people just understand that failing to resist will lead to a catastrophe. I think probability of full scale Russian invasion  before April 1st is very high. Why not if army doesn't resist? Or, more likely, got an order to not resist

It sounds more like you're spoiling for a fight after Russia basically ignored everything your government and the world said. Which I understand. But it sounds like bloodshed for the sake of bloodshed, so you at least did something in the face of Russian aggression. Meanwhile, open hostilities would trigger the exact scenario everyone has been afraid of since the beginning: unrestrained Russian aggression.

Either way, if Russia has plans for the rest of Ukraine, you're going to get all the war you want and then some.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: March 24, 2014, 01:55:28 pm »

nenjin, Not defending against the first punch gives huge advantage to the enemy. Showing that your army will not fight is inviting him to invade. I am almost sure that our forces on the eastern border will get the very same - "hold up and not shoot" order when Russian will move further

First I was sure that this "not shooting" order is a cunning plan  to not repeat Georgia 2008. Now I am sure that this is just impotence, cowardice or treason. The very same impotence that guys demonstrated negotiating with Yanukovich. Who knows, maybe they got some kind of deal with Putin like him allowing them to rule on the chunk of Ukraine

OK, they choose not violent resistance. Why they don't resist using other methods? Why they didn't order to disable military equipment that may very likely be used against us soon?. Why they didn't close border with Russia? Why they didn't ban Russian television? Why they didn't start counter-propaganda campaign? Why they don't arrest Russian assets in response to stolen Ukrainian property in Crimea? Why they don't arrest collaborators that walk on the streets with flags of the aggressor and destabilize the situation? Why they didn't organize "an accident" on powerlines making Crimea go dark
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: March 24, 2014, 01:58:03 pm »

Why they didn't organize "an accident" on powerlines making Crimea go dark

Didn't that actually happen?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: March 24, 2014, 02:03:38 pm »

Doubt it. I think it was a true accident inside Crimea, after all it is chaos there...  That was fixed overnight

If it was shut down from Ukraine then the whole Crimea would go dark, not a large chunk of it like it happened last night

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: March 24, 2014, 02:05:50 pm »

Yeah, Crimea's been "dark" for a while now. Russia is moving mobile powerplants in, and constructing a more permanent powerline from mainland Russia. At least, that's what the news is saying.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #3667 on: March 24, 2014, 02:06:55 pm »

Obviously this is going to happen.
http://i.imgur.com/MnDZOja.jpg
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: March 24, 2014, 02:14:52 pm »

nenjin, Not defending against the first punch gives huge advantage to the enemy. Showing that your army will not fight is inviting him to invade. I am almost sure that our forces on the eastern border will get the very same - "hold up and not shoot" order when Russian will move further.

You are substituting platitudes for facts on the ground.  Ukraine is in a vastly better condition to defend itself now and has a much strengthened diplomatic position.  If you had been in charge there would have been a war a month ago, Ukraine would have gotten 0 outside support and Russia would have already annexed eastern Ukraine.  If Russia attacked Ukraine today then it would mean the doom of the Putin administration.  It's called picking your battles, you don't fight on the enemies terms.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: March 24, 2014, 02:16:23 pm »

Putin may have already doomed himself. Russia just made itself the next hermit kingdom if Putin thinks he can act like this without international consequences.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 24, 2014, 02:31:48 pm »

Russia's political course reversal in a nutshell:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:34:54 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3671 on: March 24, 2014, 03:23:19 pm »

Your government thinks you're morons. Do me a favour and start WWIII already. Humanity's had a good run, it's about time we hand over this planet to jellyfish anyways.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 24, 2014, 03:28:56 pm »

If we're going to hand over the planet to some animal, I'd suggest bonobos.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: March 24, 2014, 03:29:10 pm »

Bonobos? They are just too busy fucking everything to do any kind of planet ruling, unless it exclusively involved fucking the planet. Jellyfish? But they are just spineless morons. Now, Crab people, thats where its at!
This is a blank sig.

ibot66

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:02 pm »

Yeah can we get rid of this president already? I promise we can change for the better, it's just a really awful run we've been having lately.
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 286