Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304375 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3645 on: March 24, 2014, 04:14:02 am »

I think he refers to the military stationed in Crimea. I doubt they have received many orders at all, except perhaps to please not do anything that could be a pretext for full invasion.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3646 on: March 24, 2014, 04:31:54 am »

I think he refers to the military stationed in Crimea. I doubt they have received many orders at all, except perhaps to please not do anything that could be a pretext for full invasion.
Hmm, yeah, probably. But still, could that not apply to the military as well? If the units are local, and especially if they have local families, could they not be supportive of the new government, given potential benefits?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3647 on: March 24, 2014, 04:34:33 am »

So, our dear acting president announced evacuation of Ukrainian units from Crimea. Just in time!  Why they do everything a week late?

And it remains to be seen if there will be any actions beyond words.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3648 on: March 24, 2014, 06:56:58 am »

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3649 on: March 24, 2014, 09:18:10 am »

The petition website is seriously one of Obama's most famously stupidly funny idea. Cannot wait to see the answer to that one.

Give it back to the traitors who overthrew the 1917 government?  Never!
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3650 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:19 am »

The petition website is seriously one of Obama's most famously stupidly funny idea. Cannot wait to see the answer to that one.

Give it back to the traitors who overthrew the 1917 government?  Never!
Replace "traitors" with "double traitors" or "traitors squared"
._.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3651 on: March 24, 2014, 09:28:17 am »

I vote for secession of benefit Holy Mother Russia from at the USS of A.
Love, scriver~

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3652 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:09 am »

The United Soviet States of Australia? Is there something that you know that we don't?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3653 on: March 24, 2014, 10:59:50 am »

It's the United States Ships of America.  The entire "continent" is actually just a large flotilla of rafts.  Cat's out of the bag now.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3654 on: March 24, 2014, 11:15:41 am »

Sounded like that petition was initially saying seceed it to the descendants of the siberians who crossed the beiring strait thousands of years ago and then changed its mind to give it to the Russian empire.

It was legitimately sold to the US anyhow.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3655 on: March 24, 2014, 12:17:37 pm »

I still can't understand why no resistance exists in Crimea. Either all local units are traitors\cowards or they got an order from a cowardly government. I think the later, because logic dictates that some of the units should have acted in a different way

I get you just watched a chunk of your country walk away from Ukraine. But is it really surprising that no one wants to get shot?

I'm just surprised that you're spoiling for a guerrilla war so much. Because it's behavior like that, which touches off indiscriminate mass killings.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3656 on: March 24, 2014, 12:20:11 pm »

The petition website is genius. Can you imagine how much entertainment he must get out of those? It's gotta be a gold mine for chuckles when the stress of being President gets to be a bit much.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3657 on: March 24, 2014, 12:22:02 pm »

I still can't understand why no resistance exists in Crimea. Either all local units are traitors\cowards or they got an order from a cowardly government. I think the later, because logic dictates that some of the units should have acted in a different way

I get you just watched a chunk of your country walk away from Ukraine. But is it really surprising that no one wants to get shot?

I'm just surprised that you're spoiling for a guerrilla war so much. Because it's behavior like that, which touches off indiscriminate mass killings.
Some people just want the world to burn.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3658 on: March 24, 2014, 12:30:05 pm »

Some people just understand that failing to resist will lead to a catastrophe. I think probability of full scale Russian invasion  before April 1st is very high. Why not if army doesn't resist? Or, more likely, got an order to not resist
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3659 on: March 24, 2014, 12:52:52 pm »

Why not if army doesn't resist?
How about "Because it makes no sense to do so"? Or, perhaps more appropriately, "because it's no longer really needed". Why spend the effort on going somewhere, when the aftershock of what's already done can set the necessary stones into motion by itself?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 242 243 [244] 245 246 ... 286