Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304672 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3360 on: March 21, 2014, 07:37:38 am »

Why do you hope that China, India and Japan will not join sanctions against Russia?
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:37 am »

Yeah, but Russia to me still sees itself as a European countries. As Owlbread said before, "Central russia" is around Moscow on the westernmost edge of Russia, not around Novosibirsk. Those neighbors are a fucking long way away.

I find this map makes the point nicely. Russia may stretch all the way to the pacific, but Russians are mostly Europeans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A more recent map may be more informative, that one shows something like a third of 'Russia's population over in Ukraine and Belarus.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: March 21, 2014, 07:45:04 am »

Yeah, but Russia to me still sees itself as a European countries. As Owlbread said before, "Central russia" is around Moscow on the westernmost edge of Russia, not around Novosibirsk. Those neighbors are a fucking long way away.

I find this map makes the point nicely. Russia may stretch all the way to the pacific, but Russians are mostly Europeans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

A more recent map may be more informative, that one shows something like a third of 'Russia's population over in Ukraine and Belarus.
Here you go.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: March 21, 2014, 07:51:50 am »

Why do you hope that China, India and Japan will not join sanctions against Russia?
China won't. Beijing and Moscow shield each other in the UN Security Council. Besides, the chief concern for the PRC is cold, hard cash. They're not going to risk losing trade deals and business contracts unless they were facing sanctions for not imposing sanctions.

India tends to stay neutral in great power dustups, unless Pakistan is involved.

Japan on the other hand might join in with the West. A newly resurgent and expansionist Russia would be a major strategic concern for them.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: March 21, 2014, 08:03:47 am »

Why would they?

I even thing EU will not make any real sanctions, and will more do the small ones for medias and where it will not hurt EU itself. The reason I say this is because as everything in world the most important thing is $$$. If sanctions will hurt their own economy (and gas is not the only problem that russia can do, there is huge import in russia, from industry, cars, food and several other things, hack only germany has exports of 36 billion for a year and  300,000 German jobs depend on trade with Russia) I am 90% sure they will not do something that will hurt themselves.

Make love not war

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: March 21, 2014, 08:05:22 am »

Japan is already joining the sanctions and pledging aid to Ukraine.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/03/18/us-ukraine-crisis-japan-idUSBREA2H02T20140318
http://business.asiaone.com/news/japan-unveil-s125-billion-aid-ukraine-g7-summit-nhk

They seem to be rather fond of the new Chief Prosecutor in Crimea though

India has been more supportive of Russia, at least in words.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/Russian-interests-in-Ukraines-Crimea-legitimate-India-says/articleshow/31638375.cms

China will do its hardest to pretend Crimea doesn't exist. I bet internal reporting of this in China is something along the line of "Western savages fighting over petty differences, peaceful Chinese collectively shaking heads in dismay over primitive barbarianism".

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: March 21, 2014, 08:10:48 am »

So, my question:

US politicians have been repeatedly claiming that Russia has broken international law by annexing Crimea. Which law are they talking about, specifically? Is this just a rhetorical thing, or is there an actual treaty that can be pointed to that Russia signed?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: March 21, 2014, 08:14:44 am »

So, my question:

US politicians have been repeatedly claiming that Russia has broken international law by annexing Crimea. Which law are they talking about, specifically? Is this just a rhetorical thing, or is there an actual treaty that can be pointed to that Russia signed?
Well, they've certainly broken the Ukrainian non-proliferation agreement (Ie, Ukraine hands over it's nuclear weaponry, Russia and others pledge not to attack it), but anyway they're talking about the UN Charter.

Quote from: UN Charter, Article 2, Subsection 4
4.All Members shall refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any other manner inconsistent with the Purposes of the United Nations

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: March 21, 2014, 08:18:54 am »

Wasn't there a treaty Russia signed back in the 90's guaranteeing to respect Ukraine's borders in exchange for Ukraine giving up all their nuclear weapons?
Also back to that demographic image, it's weird seeing all Russia's population clustered around either Moscow, or the Crimean border.
Hmm, is it significant that the highest density part of Russia is right next to the place they just annexed?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:37 am »

The Budapest agreement has been mentioned, this is what it says:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budapest_Memorandum_on_Security_Assurances
According to the memorandum, Russia, the U.S., and the UK confirmed, in recognition of Ukraine becoming party to the Treaty on the Non-Proliferation of Nuclear Weapons and in effect abandoning its nuclear arsenal to Russia, that they would:

Respect Ukrainian independence and sovereignty within its existing borders.
    Refrain from the threat or use of force against Ukraine.
    Refrain from using economic pressure on Ukraine in order to influence its politics.
    Seek United Nations Security Council action if nuclear weapons are used against Ukraine.
    Refrain from the use of nuclear arms against Ukraine.
    Consult with one another if questions arise regarding these commitments.[7]

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:45 am »

Well, in that  case, the treaty was probably broken in 2009. I mean, cutting of the gas does count as economic pressure, right?

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: March 21, 2014, 08:23:17 am »

You mash up together BRIC countries and G8 country.
Japan will obviously join, while China and India will not. And anyways, it's all about $$
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: March 21, 2014, 08:24:00 am »

China will do its hardest to pretend Crimea doesn't exist. I bet internal reporting of this in China is something along the line of "Western savages fighting over petty differences, peaceful Chinese collectively shaking heads in dismay over primitive barbarianism".

Not at all. Actually, they're being mildly supportive of Ukraine, citing the Chinese commitment to the principle of non-interference in internal affairs (i.e. they support any country's right to do whatever the fuck they want within their own borders, because otherwise Tibet and Taiwan gets kind of messy). Since Ukraine's borders have been internationally established and recognized, Russian intervention in Crimea violates that principle. That said, you won't see anything with teeth come out of Beijing, for the reasons I stated earlier.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: March 21, 2014, 08:26:12 am »

Hmm, is it significant that the highest density part of Russia is right next to the place they just annexed?
Front row seats are ninety thousand rubles per square meter. :) [/badjoke]
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:36 am »

You mash up together BRIC countries and G7 country.
Japan will obviously join, while China and India will not. And anyways, it's all about $$
Fixed

It is about $$$. Don't you think that China may get some benefits from Russian isolation and possible collapse? Especially if the West will manage to offer something to compensate the short time losses.  Extreme case - USA will reduce support of Independent Taiwan

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 286