Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304498 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3270 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:26 pm »

On topic, unidentified soldiers have boarded and taken control over at least four Ukrainian navy corvettes. Under normal circumstances that's an act of war. Technically so is blockading another country's ports. Sinking old ships as a blockade is probably a violation of any number of international conventions and protocols. So is having your soldiers running around without insignia.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: March 20, 2014, 02:49:59 pm »

@ GI: I... don't think it's actually on fire yet, s'just Mict actively trying to set it alight. And CP helping a little, I'unno.
I've got extra matches, if anyone wants 'em.

I'm not terribly anti-Russian, and I'm not even thoroughly anti-Soviet. I can understand why they did what they did. But at the same time, I'm definitely anti-Stalin, and anti-Putin, and anti-anyone who thinks fondly on that "strong Slavic autocrat" type of ruler and thinks that Russia can't function without one.

They probably CAN'T, mind you (I think the 1990's showcased that pretty well)...but then IMHO the solution is to break Russia up into more manageable chunks than to keep putting iron-fisted powermongers in charge.

Part of my family lived in the Saratov region for around 200 years until their ethnic group began getting the shit end of the stick from neighboring Russians and the Russian Imperial government. They got out just shortly before the 1917 Revolution, which is good. Because after 1943 or so, those who were still left found themselves on trains bound for Siberia because they were deemed insufficiently loyal  because they were ethnic Germans. Ignoring the fact that when they originally migrated in the 1700s, there was no German state, and that their version of German language was so heavily divergent that it's almost unintelligible to native Germans, and that they had fought and died for the Tsar in the Russo-Japanese War....

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: March 20, 2014, 02:51:29 pm »

I don't think he cares about that, the discussion on the pro-soviet side consists entirely of falsehoods of misrepresentation anyways

Just more: "you're a westerner and soviet russia didn't do things that bad" victim complex puffing up like usual

I just invented a perfect argument I'll give towards you since now.
Here I cease all the offense towards him.

Since this thread went up in flames because of my previous post, I want to say that by "sacrifices" I originally meant people sacrificing themselves for the Soviet Union (e.g. soldiers during WW2). While some may say that it is also necessary in some cases, killing political dissidents isn't a sacrifice (although if Stalinist Aztecs had existed, they would have regarded that as a genuine contribution to the country).

You mean those soldiers who were forced to attack fortified positions with rifles only because all the best equipment was used by NKVD to stop them from retreating?

Proof. I want a proof of your words.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

BlindKitty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3273 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:17 pm »

On topic, unidentified soldiers have boarded and taken control over at least four Ukrainian navy corvettes. Under normal circumstances that's an act of war. Technically so is blockading another country's ports. Sinking old ships as a blockade is probably a violation of any number of international conventions and protocols. So is having your soldiers running around without insignia.

I'm half sure that having soldiers run around without insignia is even a war crime under Geneva convention or something similar, but it's only half sure and Russia may not have yet signed those.
(It's actually a funny bit of trivia - Soviet soldiers during Cold War didn't know that shooting things with big red crosses on white fields on them is considered rude out there in the West.)

I don't think he cares about that, the discussion on the pro-soviet side consists entirely of falsehoods of misrepresentation anyways

Just more: "you're a westerner and soviet russia didn't do things that bad" victim complex puffing up like usual

I just invented a perfect argument I'll give towards you since now.
Here I cease all the offense towards him.

Since this thread went up in flames because of my previous post, I want to say that by "sacrifices" I originally meant people sacrificing themselves for the Soviet Union (e.g. soldiers during WW2). While some may say that it is also necessary in some cases, killing political dissidents isn't a sacrifice (although if Stalinist Aztecs had existed, they would have regarded that as a genuine contribution to the country).
You mean those soldiers who were forced to attack fortified positions with rifles only because all the best equipment was used by NKVD to stop them from retreating?

Order No. 227 and Order No. 270 issued by the Stalin, for example. Various memoirs of the Red Army soldiers. Books about the 'Great Patriotic War' (is this the right term in English?) written by people who have no interest in conforming with the propaganda (for starters, Victor Suvorov). You know, things like that. I'm actually interested in the history of WW II, but most of my sources aren't in English (or Russian, for that matter), so I can only direct you to things that Googling 'barrier troops in Red Army' uncovers, or Suvorov books, as those are available in English for sure.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:02:21 pm by BlindKitty »
My little roguelike craft-centered game thread. Check it out.

GENERATION 10: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:44 pm »

Duhh, call of duty... :)
Make love not war

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3275 on: March 20, 2014, 02:52:48 pm »

*pokes thread*

I think I'll leave this until it's cooled down a bit.
Me too. Let's agree to disagree, guys.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3277 on: March 20, 2014, 02:56:58 pm »

I'm half sure that having soldiers run around without insignia is even a war crime under Geneva convention or something similar, but it's only half sure and Russia may not have yet signed those.
(It's actually a funny bit of trivia - Soviet soldiers during Cold War didn't know that shooting things with big red crosses on white fields on them is considered rude out there in the West.)
I actually was just looking into this. Apparently it's not a violation. The passage pertaining to this reads:
In order to ensure respect for and protection of the civilian population and civilian objects, the Parties to the conflict shall at all times distinguish between the civilian population and combatants and between civilian objects and military objectives and accordingly shall direct their operations only against military objectives.

So, obviously being soldiers counts as distinction, even if not showing any insignia is still looked down on.

@Comrade Lol. Chill out dude. Did your family personally participate in the purges, or something? /sarcasm
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:59:12 pm by Mictlantecuhtli »
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3280 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:37 pm »

CP, you need to read the rules of this forum. Disagreeing with someone, and even an attitude you don't like, isn't grounds to just start throwing f-bombs around. You're bringing this discussion down, and honestly, your entire argument. Was your first warning from Toady not enough?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3281 on: March 20, 2014, 03:06:22 pm »

@Comrade Lol. Chill out dude. Did your family personally participate in the purges, or something? /sarcasm
My family didn't. Checked that. If you are just fond of making me feel discomforted, congrats, you succeed.

CP, you need to read the rules of this forum. Disagreeing with someone, and even an attitude you don't like, isn't grounds to just start throwing f-bombs around. You're bringing this discussion down, and honestly, your entire argument. Was your first warning from Toady not enough?
That time it was BlindKitty who posted a text full of racial hatred towards Russians. Now it is my bad, I know. I'll go chill out for a while, you guys are right.

EDIT: @BlindKitty you know, you should definitely read sources beyond Victor Suvorov. Suvorov is actually translating his books to English because he is flooded with critics in his homeland. It was different from place to place. Somewhere, things like that could occur. But that was minority. Soviet Army wasn't in great condition, but not like that everywhere.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:13:20 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3282 on: March 20, 2014, 03:07:27 pm »

My family didn't. Checked that. If you are just fond of making me feel discomforted, congrats, you succeed.

That time it was BlindKitty who posted a text full of racial hatred towards Russians. Now it is my bad, I know. I'll go chill out for a while, you guys are right.

If you feel that way, report him and let Toady decide.

It's what I did with your post.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3283 on: March 20, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »

Order No. 227 and Order No. 270 issued by the Stalin, for example. Various memoirs of the Red Army soldiers. Books about the 'Great Patriotic War' (is this the right term in English?) written by people who have no interest in conforming with the propaganda (for starters, Victor Suvorov). You know, things like that. I'm actually interested in the history of WW II, but most of my sources aren't in English (or Russian, for that matter), so I can only direct you to things that Googling 'barrier troops in Red Army' uncovers, or Suvorov books, as those are available in English for sure.

Hey, wait a goddamn second... You mean this mission wasn't based on made-up stories?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3284 on: March 20, 2014, 03:09:45 pm »

To be fair, he is pretty much right about Mictlantecuhtli, who seems to do nothing but post a single sentence flippant remark every once in a while. Although technically I agree with much of what Mictlantecuhtli says and the meaning behind his words his actions are also pretty much just deliberately provoking and not really conductive to the argument that is going on (unlike most of Comrade Ps remarks, which although I personally disagree with him he is at least trying to have a conversation with other people.)
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 [219] 220 221 ... 286