Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304520 times)

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
Re: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread
« Reply #3240 on: March 20, 2014, 01:18:19 pm »

You know, this thread is a mini-Cold War. We have, let's call it side 1, where people claim that Russia is right now and was right before, we have relatively neutral camp and we have side 2, where are people that claim Russia was wrong all the way.

Sadly, last time Russia lost Cold War  :(
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: March 20, 2014, 01:19:51 pm »

Truly, I don't think anyone lost or won the Cold War. It just ceased to exist when the USSR did.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:07 pm »

Truly, I don't think anyone lost or won the Cold War. It just ceased to exist when the USSR did.

Well, yes. I consider the fact that USSR has fallen apart as a defeat in the Cold War. It is sad for me, but we continue living, right?
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: March 20, 2014, 01:26:26 pm »

Well, yes. I consider the fact that USSR has fallen apart as a defeat in the Cold War. It is sad for me, but we continue living, right?

The USSR was undoubtedly defeated, but that doesn't imply the USA won, especially since I was under the impression that said defeat was essentially a collapse rather than an outside take down. The USA suffered a lot of losses during the cold war too, both domestic and abroad, and gained... well, not a whole lot. If the US "won" the cold war, it was a pyrrhic victory that only served to justify the stupid and evil decisions they made about a whole host of issues that they were only able to choose because the USSR provided such a convenient enemy and a justification for arguing "we HAVE to do this terrible thing because THEY are so much worse!".

They came out of it better than the USSR did, but that's a pretty low standard for "winning" in my book.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: March 20, 2014, 01:27:28 pm »

blah blah no one actually wins wars blah blah hippie stuff blah blah love and peace blah blah
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: March 20, 2014, 01:30:33 pm »

blah blah no one actually wins wars blah blah hippie stuff blah blah love and peace blah blah

Nah, people can definitely win wars. Winning a war is when you end up better off than if you hadn't fought the war at all. The Allies definitely won WWII, for example. (All of them, Russia included) The US won the Cold War about as much as they "won" the war in Iraq, though.

But back to Ukraine stuff...
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:33:01 pm by GlyphGryph »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: March 20, 2014, 01:32:55 pm »

The USSR was undoubtedly defeated, but that doesn't imply the USA won, especially since I was under the impression that said defeat was essentially a collapse rather than an outside take down. The USA suffered a lot of losses during the cold war too, both domestic and abroad, and gained... well, not a whole lot. If the US "won" the cold war, it was a pyrrhic victory that only served to justify the stupid and evil decisions they made about a whole host of issues that they were only able to choose because the USSR provided such a convenient enemy and a justification for arguing "we HAVE to do this terrible thing because THEY are so much worse!".

They came out of it better than the USSR did, but that's a pretty low standard for "winning" in my book.

I actually had no clear vision of how that looked like from, you know, their side. Anyway, world is no longer bi-polarized.

Nah, people can definitely win wars. Winning a war is when you end up better off than if you hadn't fought the war at all. The Allies definitely won WWII, for example. (All of them, Russia included) The US won the Cold War about as much as they "won" the war in Iraq, though.

[sarcasm]Oh, thank you very much for including us into the Ally group.[/sarcasm] Nevermind that. That shouldn't be said at all. Sorry.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:52:41 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »

mentioned them specifically because with how many people they lost during the war putting a stop to Hitler's war machine on the eastern front, it could be argued that it was at best a pyrrhic victory for them then, but honestly the alternative was still probably worse.

And also to specifically get ahead of anyone who might try to claim that they weren't part of the victory.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:21:53 pm by GlyphGryph »

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: March 20, 2014, 01:34:52 pm »

-snip-

Beznogim, I understand your point of view, but I think that your attempts to explain the necessity of Soviet policies are fruitless. As your signature says, НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ. The majority of people here come from countries where the concept of "necessary sacrifice" is regarded as ultimate evil. Individualist societies cannot accept loss of human life no matter how necessary it might be for the country. Stalin's policies will always be regarded as absolute evil from Western point of view, even though from Stalin's viewpoint, his actions were necessary to ensure survival of the Soviet Union. It's not just a conflict of political ideologies, the moralities of Western and Russian societies contradict each other here.

Apparently some people in the West think or at least thought that because of the collapse of the USSR, Russians should behave like Germans after WW2 - constantly stress that they were wrong, constantly apologize for their history and ban practically every display of national pride.

Alright, let us not discuss history any more, shall we?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:36:40 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: March 20, 2014, 01:38:49 pm »

The majority of people here come from countries where the concept of "necessary sacrifice" is regarded as ultimate evil.

Oh please, like Russia is the only one that's sacrificed for something.

Here's the difference: over here, "necessary sacrifice" is a choice of last resort. Not, you know, international politics in general, as Putin seems to believe. All this "our hand was forced" nonsense is trying to make the rest of the world feel responsible for a choice Putin deliberately made, and with the flimsiest of pretexts.

Honestly, watching Russia try and justify their choices is like watching someone try to lie to you about what they just posted on social media.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:42:35 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: March 20, 2014, 01:41:14 pm »

Heh. No, I think the west does have a fairly solid understanding of the concept of necessary sacrifice, and it's not necessarily a negative one. See it crop up in relation to military and emergency response service all the time, personally. West just tends to use words besides "sacrifice" to describe involuntary sacrifice. Words trending toward tragedy or atrocity, generally :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: March 20, 2014, 01:54:58 pm »

Actually, I'm finding the views shown by both sides here about History to be very enlightening.

Beznogim, I understand your point of view, but I think that your attempts to explain the necessity of Soviet policies are fruitless. As your signature says, НЕ ПЫТАЙТЕСБ ЧТОТ0 NЗМЕНИТЬ. The majority of people here come from countries where the concept of "necessary sacrifice" is regarded as ultimate evil. Individualist societies cannot accept loss of human life no matter how necessary it might be for the country. Stalin's policies will always be regarded as absolute evil from Western point of view, even though from Stalin's viewpoint, his actions were necessary to ensure survival of the Soviet Union. It's not just a conflict of political ideologies, the moralities of Western and Russian societies contradict each other here.
It's not that. The West does have a concept of 'Necessary Sacrifice', it's just that the bar for when it becomes necessary seems to be quite different.

I think a lot of it has to do with an Expectation of Sacrifice. A Firefighter who dies in the line of duty is in many ways viewed as a 'necessary sacrifice' for society. They specifically risk their lives to save others and western society both expects this of them and lauds them for their heroics.

In much the same way Soldiers who die in the line of duty are treated as 'acceptable' Sacrifices (Although that varies much more depending on Popular opinion of the operation they were engaged in).

However the idea that the Government can decide for its citizens that they are a 'necessary' sacrifice for the good of the nation is an anathema. It is accepted that the primary Function of government in the west is to safeguard the lives and welfare of its citizens and any deviation from that has to have some major justifications behind it for people to even tolerate it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: March 20, 2014, 02:04:23 pm »

I'm not sure there's any justification for the 'acceptable sacrifice' of people
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: March 20, 2014, 02:05:27 pm »

So Russian soldiers have stormed Ukrainian vessels. Shots may have been fired. (Link in German.)

Weren't people discussing the future of the Ukrainian ships moored in Sevastopol a few days ago? It seems a decision has been made. The Russians haven't said anything about it (at least not that I've seen), but there don't seem to have been any casualties. American media sources report that "pro-Russian crowds" seized the ships, while the German source claims it was Russian soldiers.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: March 20, 2014, 02:20:58 pm »

I'm not sure there's any justification for the 'acceptable sacrifice' of people

It's usually cases like quarantine or the like where the government has to sacrifice a small number of people in order to prevent many more people dying. There is pressure to find a better solution that doesn't involve any sacrifice, but that isn't always possible. That's about the only situation I can think of where people would find it acceptable, even if it is always regrettable.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 286