Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304391 times)

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3105 on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:35 pm »

That's about as close to democracy as you get in Russia, that's for sure. Fake ballots, dead people voting and over 100% turnout if you actually add up the people. Much democracy, very prestige.

I know how it is done here - I actually live here. Don't you lecture me. But still, when all the people express their will at once, no government can stop them. That is inspiring.

I'm not lecturing you, just saying your votes are rigged and entirely dependent on the will of your Kremlin.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3106 on: March 19, 2014, 02:42:16 pm »

I know how it is done here - I actually live here. Don't you lecture me. But still, when all the people express their will at once, no government can stop them. That is inspiring.

Yeah, just like the Maiden protests, right? When the people express their will the government can not stand against them! Power to the people!

(Unless, like in Syria, they are willing to start a war over it and a murder a good chunk of the country...)

On the other hand, unlike with Crimea, there's actually good evidence Trans-Dniestra actually wants to overwhelmingly join russia, so it really is a different case.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3107 on: March 19, 2014, 02:48:59 pm »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #3108 on: March 19, 2014, 02:49:50 pm »

That's about as close to democracy as you get in Russia, that's for sure. Fake ballots, dead people voting and over 100% turnout if you actually add up the people. Much democracy, very prestige.

I'm not lecturing you, just saying your votes are rigged and entirely dependent on the will of your Kremlin.
I'm not saying Cracked is in any way a trustworthy resource, but what makes you think it's any different anywhere else?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3109 on: March 19, 2014, 02:50:13 pm »

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3110 on: March 19, 2014, 02:51:42 pm »

Ye olde Soviet legacy.

Yeah, just like the Maiden protests, right? When the people express their will the government can not stand against them! Power to the people!

(Unless, like in Syria, they are willing to start a war over it and a murder a good chunk of the country...)

On the other hand, unlike with Crimea, there's actually good evidence Trans-Dniestra actually wants to overwhelmingly join russia, so it really is a different case.
You know, before nationalists of Right Sector appeared on Maidan, it wasn't so bad. They were really starting like a peaceful demonstration, ask UR.
On the second point, about Crimea. Wat? You thought Crimea didn't want to join Russia before the shit messed up? There just was no way of doing so. When the central rule disappeared, thy used their chance.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3111 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:08 pm »

I'm not saying Cracked is in any way a trustworthy resource, but what makes you think it's any different anywhere else?
Long live European Democracy. Quite a few of the continental nations have decent systems going.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3112 on: March 19, 2014, 02:53:52 pm »

Comrade P, someone posted polls from mid-2013 a bit earlier that showed only a minority supported joining Russia. (Although a large one).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3113 on: March 19, 2014, 02:54:26 pm »

You thought Crimea didn't want to join Russia before the shit messed up? There just was no way of doing so. When the central rule disappeared, thy used their chance.

Yeah, but it would have been nice for it to occur WITHOUT the Russian trrops and strutting of Putin - you know, if it had been 100% self determined and didnt look dodgy as fuck.
This is a blank sig.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3114 on: March 19, 2014, 02:54:56 pm »

Well, generally, I think that Crimea just reminded people over the world (or at least former Soviet union and whatever russian-speaking countries) that the supreme law of democratic society is people's will expressed through referendum.

Sounds a bit arrogant. Sorry for that.

There is no difference between what Russia has done in Crimea and what the United Kingdom did in Northern Ireland. The same could be said of what the USA did in Hawaii, California, Texas and Oklahoma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3115 on: March 19, 2014, 02:58:01 pm »

Look who wants to join Russia!

Pfft, Hamas just wants the backing of a powerful government, I doubt the Palestinian people want Russia to be their overlords either.

As for Transinistria (or is that a different region?), Ukraine is kind of in the way. Moldova isn't in NATO, but its neighbor, Romania IS, along with being in the EU.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3116 on: March 19, 2014, 02:59:20 pm »

Look who wants to join Russia!
O_O
Well, eh... okay?

Comrade P, someone posted polls from mid-2013 a bit earlier that showed only a minority supported joining Russia. (Although a large one).

You see, I cannot resist the fact, but my personal opinion stands. I think they were just not that serious about their separatism (pan-nationalism?) intentions and were more modest in their claims. Nevertheless, things are changing as the time passes, right?
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 03:00:53 pm by Comrade P. »
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #3117 on: March 19, 2014, 03:00:31 pm »

There is no difference between what Russia has done in Crimea and what the United Kingdom did in Northern Ireland. The same could be said of what the USA did in Hawaii, California, Texas and Oklahoma.
Yeah... it's kinda' painfully obvious that people's will this referendum wasn't. Or at least not even remotely an accurate representation of it. More than a bit of a shame, as has been noted.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3118 on: March 19, 2014, 03:01:38 pm »

Yeah... it's kinda' painfully obvious that people's will this referendum wasn't. Or at least not even remotely an accurate representation of it. More than a bit of a shame, as has been noted.

Even if it was the people's will, it's the will of the settlers who moved there during the colonisation of the territory, exploited by their motherland as political tools in landgrabs like the Crimean annexation.

I've been thinking. Apologies if I'm terribly wrong (I don't live in Russia so what do I know?) but it seems to me like the main reason people in Russia vote for United Russia and are happy with them being in government despite rampant corruption and disregard for human rights is that they have ensured that Russia is economically and socially stable. They are a slick, well oiled political machine with a vision of power and domination that appeals to the common Nationalist consciousness, plus there's a bit of demagoguery thrown in too with the anti-Western stuff.

If, however, that economic and social stability vanishes as a result of an economic collapse induced by Western sanctions, there is no reason for Russians to support Putin or United Russia. If the Russians came anywhere close to where they were in the 1990s the whole thing would come down like a house of cards.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3119 on: March 19, 2014, 03:04:38 pm »

Anyway, it's not because the UK and USA have done it earlier that it's behavior that should be tolerated, or worse, promoted.
Pages: 1 ... 206 207 [208] 209 210 ... 286