Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304411 times)

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #3090 on: March 19, 2014, 01:27:26 pm »

The condemnations are a usual Russian answer to any action West makes against them. It's not particularly unique to that event.
._.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: March 19, 2014, 01:31:17 pm »

Anyway, something strange I've been noticing is that each and every image of the Pro-Russian Crimean supports I have seen in pretty much every Western new source, contains at least 1 USSR flag, Portret or Stalin or other reference to the USSR. You know, if I didn't know better you'd think the Communists are back for another round.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: March 19, 2014, 01:32:14 pm »

Well, they're throwing a hissy fit, so it's doing something :P

They started throwing a hussy fit and warning the west against sanctions the instant the word sanction was mentioned. They even warned against the warnings of sanctions.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: March 19, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »

So apparently the sanctions are working.
I like this.

It's actually somewhat amusing.
They invade a place, and say what we're doing is bad.

There's also the bit about calling the sanctions an act of aggression and will retaliate. Retaliate how? By attacking? It's like calling a bluff on something that everybody knows would be suicidal to even do and it's obvious that he is just posturing.

If Putin actually means what he said and is stupid enough to attack, well, lets just hope he isn't so suicidal as to launch nukes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: March 19, 2014, 01:50:09 pm »

So apparently the sanctions are working.
I like this.

It's actually somewhat amusing.
They invade a place, and say what we're doing is bad.
Well, obviously. Imagine they'd approved of it.

"Yeah so we invaded this place, good job slapping us on the wrist for that. We kind of deserved it."

Doesn't work well with their rhetoric.

There's also the bit about calling the sanctions an act of aggression and will retaliate. Retaliate how? By attacking? It's like calling a bluff on something that everybody knows would be suicidal to even do and it's obvious that he is just posturing.

If Putin actually means what he said and is stupid enough to attack, well, lets just hope he isn't so suicidal as to launch nukes.
"I dare you, I double-dare you! Say what again, motherfucker!"

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: March 19, 2014, 01:56:31 pm »

I don't really know how to say it, but seeing Putin go through such length to stay in power makes me happy. Seeing tyrants squirm always makes me happy.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:13 pm »

Well, they could sanction back. Or be a pain in the US's ass on Iran or Syria or NK.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:21 pm »

Or be a pain in the US's ass on Iran or Syria or NK.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt being a pain in the ass kind of Russias defualt role at the UN or on the security council with thier veto power?
This is a blank sig.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:13 pm »

Depend on what issue, on stuff like Palestinian sovereignty, it's usually the US that veto everything.

Anyway, Russia is actually cooperating (albeit reluctantly) with the US on a number of issues. They're not cartoons villain. There is also a big supply route to Afghanistan going through Russia, that will be sorely needed as the US need to bring all its hardware back.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: March 19, 2014, 02:19:37 pm »

So Moldova is next, apparently. An acquaintance of mine (I don't know him very well) is an ethnic Russian from Moldova. I remember when he was asked during the Euromaidan protests last year about whether Moldova could join the EU one day, he nodded to a Jewish Ukrainian woman to his left (another acquaintance) and said "It depends on them."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:21:54 pm by Owlbread »

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3100 on: March 19, 2014, 02:31:46 pm »

Well, generally, I think that Crimea just reminded people over the world (or at least former Soviet union and whatever russian-speaking countries) that the supreme law of democratic society is people's will expressed through referendum.

Sounds a bit arrogant. Sorry for that.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3102 on: March 19, 2014, 02:33:14 pm »

That's about as close to democracy as you get in Russia, that's for sure. Fake ballots, dead people voting and over 100% turnout if you actually add up the people. Much democracy, very prestige.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #3103 on: March 19, 2014, 02:38:01 pm »

That's about as close to democracy as you get in Russia, that's for sure. Fake ballots, dead people voting and over 100% turnout if you actually add up the people. Much democracy, very prestige.

I know how it is done here - I actually live here. Don't you lecture me. But still, when all the people express their will at once, no government can stop them. That is inspiring.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3104 on: March 19, 2014, 02:39:35 pm »

I actually don't really mind Trans-Dniestra. That's less like an invasion and more like Russia diplo-annexing a vassal.

Anyway, no one object to the right to self-determination here, it's just the way things went in Ukraine.

Pages: 1 ... 205 206 [207] 208 209 ... 286