Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304568 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2985 on: March 18, 2014, 03:41:01 pm »

So apparently the Ottoman Empire Turkey wants Crimea too now

Lol on Turkey invoking that centuries old treaty. Though it's just that author and I don't think Turkey has officially invoked the treaty.

I wonder if Putin is even aware of that treaty. If Turkey goes ahead and invokes that treaty for real, it would make things REALLY complicated. Not sure if Turkey even cares about wanting Crimea anymore, but it's pretty funny that there is this centuries old treaty ready to spring to life in the background of all this.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2986 on: March 18, 2014, 03:43:36 pm »

@ Ukranian Ranger: Just a thought, would you (and other Ukranians) be happier if Crimea was in Turkish hands rather than Russian? I know ultimately you'd rather keep Crimea, but it's just a hypothetical.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I half expected someone to post in between this one and my previous post.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2987 on: March 18, 2014, 03:55:38 pm »

While Turkey has a lot of interest in Crimea and in the fate of the Crimean Tatars, that article shouldn't be taken seriously. Turkey, as a NATO member, does side with the EU and US when sanctions and diplomatic pressure are concerned.
They have no legal claims through that treaty though, because neither the Ottoman Empire nor the Russian monarchy still exist as legal entities. Imagine what the world would look like if all these centuries old treaties would still matter, that's silly.

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2988 on: March 18, 2014, 04:02:49 pm »

Question: Why hasn't Ukraine rushed into joining NATO now that Russia's grabbed their peninsula?

Granted, NATO won't get the Crimea back for them, but it would pretty much guarantee that they won't lose anything else. It sounds like they are all scared of what further mischief Putin has planned (assuming he's planned anything) and this would be the obvious solution.

What? And now Turkey's wants to fish in troubled waters, too? Oy.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2989 on: March 18, 2014, 04:03:22 pm »

@ Ukranian Ranger: Just a thought, would you (and other Ukranians) be happier if Crimea was in Turkish hands rather than Russian? I know ultimately you'd rather keep Crimea, but it's just a hypothetical.

Edit: Sorry for double post, I half expected someone to post in between this one and my previous post.
Hypothetically I'd prefer Turkey.
a) +one country at borders to trade with is always good
b) Straight of Kerch would be Turkey-Russian controlled not Russian
c) Turkey may be our future ally should Ukraine ever join NATO.
d) Turkey knows how to make nice resorts, so Crimea would turn in good tourism destination for Ukrainians. Russian Crimea is just unsafe, getting killed as Ukrainian nazi for speaking Ukrainian is not a good attraction for tourists
e) I highly doubt that Turkey would have plans to annex lands south of Crimea sometime later.

Of cause that is hypothetic Turkey will never push for annexation. It is a civilized country

And if you ask me what ideal future of Crimea is - I dream that Crimea will be independent few decades later when Crimean Tatars will restore their numbers. It's their land.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2990 on: March 18, 2014, 04:05:43 pm »

it would be quite silly to invoke a centuries old treaty, especially considering that russia underwent a quite radical revolution in the mean time, voiding any expectation of continuity. that document isn't worth anything, legally. Could be used to fuel internal support for a war, but I don't think that will be done either, since the link was about a random idea a newspaper had, not a statement from government.

If turkey and russia start fighting over crimea, I'll stop reading the news and pick up some history books to follow current events.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:07:20 pm by andrea »

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2991 on: March 18, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

You can't just join NATO like that. They've applied, but you can't join overnight. Plus, NATO don't want to take on member that are being invaded.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2992 on: March 18, 2014, 04:09:09 pm »

I think some kind of NATO-Ukraine treaty may be a substitution to full membership
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2993 on: March 18, 2014, 04:10:30 pm »

But does NATO wants to guarantee Ukraine?

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2994 on: March 18, 2014, 04:11:41 pm »

Like most things political, it all depends on what the NATO members (especially the US) want to have happen. If they think that their interests are best served by having the Ukraine rushed in as a member, it would happen.

Not that I expect this to be the case, mind you, just saying that the usual formalities would be swept away given enough political will.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2995 on: March 18, 2014, 04:23:06 pm »

Spoilered it since its off topic..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2996 on: March 18, 2014, 04:26:10 pm »

How did your friend loose that kind of equipment? A cart shooting rockets ain't exactly the kind of stuff you leave behind sofa cushions.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2997 on: March 18, 2014, 04:32:33 pm »

From NATO's site:

From wiki on the NAC:

About the membership action plan:

Basically, it seems to be a unanimous-decision kind of thing. And also assimilation, (to a degree).
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 04:48:38 pm by GrizzlyAdamz »
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2998 on: March 18, 2014, 04:48:16 pm »

it would be quite silly to invoke a centuries old treaty, especially considering that russia underwent a quite radical revolution in the mean time, voiding any expectation of continuity. that document isn't worth anything, legally. Could be used to fuel internal support for a war, but I don't think that will be done either, since the link was about a random idea a newspaper had, not a statement from government.

If turkey and russia start fighting over crimea, I'll stop reading the news and pick up some history books to follow current events.

Half a league! Half a league! Half a league onwards...
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2999 on: March 18, 2014, 05:08:23 pm »

I doubt there will be any serious promises about NATO accession before the elections in May (would have hoped the EU would have the sense to hold off on any significant treaties until then too). It all depends on whether Ukrainians manage to clean up their political act a bit or at least prevent it from getting worse, if those far right loons make any gains things could get toxic. I worry that Svoboda and Right Sector is going to use any external threat and internal instability to rally more support, and Putin knows that and'll probably do what he can to help.

There are some worrying parallells with Egypt, the Muslim Brotherhood and the military junta in the shadows. If you look at the timeline it's not hard to imagine that the generals didn't mind letting the MB fuck things up for a while so people would want the military back in power.
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 286