Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304642 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2940 on: March 18, 2014, 06:08:54 am »

There's lot of opposition to that, thanks to americans playing cowboys world police around the globe. The only one who can push Finland to NATO is the Democratically Elected President of Democratic Russia. He is doing good job at it, maybe we should give him some kind of award?
Ironically, one of the changes this whole thing might bring is that it has the potential to unite both the EU internally and the EU with the US, in times when these relationships were quite strained. Putin is indeed bringing peace and unity by turning back the clock 30 years. It was mentioned earlier in the thread, he is already nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.
That's is. Putin is in fact the good guy and has been so all along! His only goal is to unite the globe into a peaceful coalition, like the UN were intended to be, but he knows that the only way to do so is to unite the world against an evil emperor. Since Best Korea is far from credible enough, and Crazy Iran failed despite his backup, Putin decided to martyr himself and pose as the Evil Emperor the free world need to unite against! [/1amsarcasm]

Seriously though, if the situation diplomatically escalate to CWII and the West manage a lasting, deeper unity, Putin deserves that peace nobel.
Or IgNobel at the very least.

Spoiler: Evil Empire uniforms (click to show/hide)
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: March 18, 2014, 06:13:17 am »

Guys, can we try to keep the conversation serious and civil? It's hard enough for Avis & co to be in  such a minority, I'd hate not to have their input anymore. Remember, Avis is not Putin. Being an ass to him and driving him out of the thread is not going to save Crimea, it's just going to deprive us of a valuable viewpoints (although one you're entitled to disagree with).

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: March 18, 2014, 06:20:27 am »

Save Crimea from what? (note - "what", not "whom")
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2943 on: March 18, 2014, 06:26:51 am »

Well, prices might have changed since then but when i was in the army, my sort of APC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puma_armored_engineering_vehicle) without gear cost ~20M USD (and that's cheap considering the vehicle is a modified one and not a brand new model), so that would have to be a really successful kickstarter.

When my friend lost all of his gear, he was trialed for ~7M USD. he was found guilty and had to pay a fine of ~100 USD.

Sorry, but $20 millions for an engineering vehicle based looks very doubtful

With Merkava IV tanks costing something like $6 millions per piece I highly doubt that conversation of an old tank into an engineering vehicle can cost three times more

And I want to hear more about $7 millions worth personal gear. That is some very high-tech stuff

But procurement of new equipment is not a small scale project.

Small scale projects could include stuff like: Repairing all APCs in some unit. Building new barracks for some soldiers. Procuring new small arms for some unit. Paying for the runninmg cost of some small-scale exercises
Stuff like that can be achieved with small relatively small budgets
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: March 18, 2014, 06:38:37 am »

What army was that, Burningpet? That's a very overpriced APC.

As for Avis and co., I'd like to remind you that they are as entitled to their opinion as we are to ours. Even assing they are wrong, that is no reason for contempt.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: March 18, 2014, 06:47:55 am »

Relatives are watching some kind of statement/speech Putin is making somewhere, so I am listening to it by proxy. A highlight that caught my ear:
Quote from: Putin
Crimea will always belong to both Russians, and Ukrainians, and Crimean Tatars. *interrupted by applause* But it will never belong to the Bandera.
(translation mine (funny how it's hard to find a translation for "бандеровцы" on the internet :P), emphasis his, applause indeterminable)

I am fiercely indifferent to this whole affair, to be honest. Just observing.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: March 18, 2014, 06:53:01 am »

I liked the "Kiev is the mother of Russian cities" from that statement

Thank you for announcing your long-term plans, mr Putin

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: March 18, 2014, 06:54:36 am »

I was talking stretch goals, not rewards. Like $1 000 000 000 000 - Ukrainian army will burn down Moscow.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: March 18, 2014, 06:56:28 am »

I was talking stretch goals, not rewards. Like $1 000 000 000 000 - Ukrainian army will burn down Moscow.

I know, but that was what sprung to my mind upon hearing it.

15 000 000 000$ - Ukrainian Army trains the world's first Space Marine regiments.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: March 18, 2014, 07:34:30 am »

So, a little over two years ago, the Ukraine security service stopped an assassination attempt on Putin. I wonder if they regret that now.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: March 18, 2014, 07:36:46 am »

PTW

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: March 18, 2014, 09:31:09 am »

In my twitter timeline, there are some suggestions to dig a trench along the Eastern border and fill it with magma. Suddenly, now I feel as I might be useful to the cause.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: March 18, 2014, 09:55:19 am »

In my twitter timeline, there are some suggestions to dig a trench along the Eastern border and fill it with magma. Suddenly, now I feel as I might be useful to the cause.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/03/17/uk-ukraine-crisis-east-idUKBREA2G1J820140317
._.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: March 18, 2014, 11:10:09 am »

According to Reuters, a Ukrainian army base in Simferopol has been attacked. Russian soldiers are suspected.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: March 18, 2014, 11:43:45 am »

Interesting take on the geopolitical situation. Stratfor, so take that for what it is, but I always find their views on things at least though-provoking.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 286