Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304745 times)

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2835 on: March 17, 2014, 03:59:37 am »

Perhaps the rest of the world pretending its not Russia would be a better analogue?
Magma is overrated.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2836 on: March 17, 2014, 04:07:03 am »

[sarcasm] I guess the Right Sector did it [/sarcasm]
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2837 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:06 am »

That doesn't look like neo-nazis at all.

I mean, look at the symbol! Clearly it was liberals.

1. Pravy Sektor are not in government.
2. That was in Crimea where the noble antifascist pro-Russians are now in government.

What would be the difference though? Crimean citizens will have Russians passports, and will just have to go through Russia for all their international dealings.

Disputed sovereignty raises lots of legal issues though. From now on Russian tourists in Crimea will be entering Ukraine illegally.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 05:30:59 am by Owlbread »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2838 on: March 17, 2014, 07:01:44 am »

I was expressing my frustration at another day of "Diplomats gonna diplomasize".
I'm pretty sure, even in the best possible circumstances, ideally with the military part of this being over, this will last quite a while, months possibly.
Putin will make a statement tomorrow. Crimea is preparing joining Russia, which will take a while. In terms of sanctions and diplomacy, we're still negotiating, that means no side blows all their leverage in one go. I don't think Putin will give up on Crimea after all this effort. There will be more talks in the next weeks and it might become a long economic pissing contest. And that's just in the best case, if anything goes wrong, this might still blow up.

What would be the difference though? Crimean citizens will have Russians passports, and will just have to go through Russia for all their international dealings.

Disputed sovereignty raises lots of legal issues though. From now on Russian tourists in Crimea will be entering Ukraine illegally.
Yeah, this could be problematic for the Crimean economy, if they're in legal limbo nobody except Russia will invest there and there might be import/export issues. Trade and investment require some sort of legal stability. As for the passports, I don't know, there might be problems when travelling outside Russia I guess, maybe not. There might be problems for non-Russians travelling to Crimea too, depending on how the visa stuff works. At last it leaves a lot of stuff unclear for now, which is not a good prospect, as people don't like doing business or spending money without some (legal) safety. Will be interesting too to see if Belarus and Kazakhstan accept this expansion of their customs union with Russia without being asked.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2839 on: March 17, 2014, 07:19:57 am »

[sarcasm] I guess the Right Sector did it [/sarcasm]
That doesn't look like neo-nazis at all.

I mean, look at the symbol! Clearly it was liberals.

Don't be silly. It's a swastika. It is obvious Indians did that.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2840 on: March 17, 2014, 08:03:42 am »

Speaking about damage of economy

Yearly graphs:
Spoiler: Aeroflot(airlines) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 08:05:41 am by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2841 on: March 17, 2014, 09:05:32 am »

Are you sure it isn't just the end of the olympics? It sure looks that way for at least some of those.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2842 on: March 17, 2014, 09:17:31 am »

Nope, that fall started after march 3rd, the first Monday after the invasion started

Why should end of Olympics hurt economy?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2843 on: March 17, 2014, 09:30:00 am »

It wouldn't so much hurt it as it would just end the temporary surge that the tourists would bring.

Given that the olympics have been over for a while now, doesn't seem likely the case here.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2844 on: March 17, 2014, 09:32:30 am »

UR why is your signature in Russian?

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #2845 on: March 17, 2014, 09:33:55 am »

It's more like a return to normal than really hurting the economy.
It looks that way for the airline and the mobile operator. Furthermore the car manufacturer looks like it was in decline already. I'll concede that the bank seems to corroborate your view though.

Damned, ninja. I didn't pay attention to the olympics so I don't know the dates, but for three of the graphs it looks more like a return to normal than a krach to me.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #2846 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:41 am »

UR why is your signature in Russian?

I think because it is a line from soviet WWII song "Sacred War", which originally was
Вставай, страна огромная
(Rise, giant country)
And now it is
Отстань страна огромная
(Back off, giant country)

Irony, maybe.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2847 on: March 17, 2014, 11:02:16 am »

I know that could be said the world over but for a nation that has been so politically turbulent, even pioneering if you look at the accomplishments of the USSR, it still pains me to see a people who really haven't changed in hundreds of years. Russia is still the very definition of a petty bourgeois state - still obsessed with nationalism, money, power, control, empire building, militarism, even isolationism at times.

On the other hand, despite the changes in political ideologies, the Western world's unspoken belief in the ultimate superiority of their political and economic systems hasn't changed much since the XIX century. It became more subtle, but it didn't vanish with the demise of big European colonial empires. The concept of the white man's burden didn't go away. In the XIX century, colonists from Great Britain, France, Belgium and other European countries brought civilization to African savages; today, United States, Great Britain, France and other Western states bring freedom, democracy and human rights to people around the world. In both cases, ulterior motives often masked political and economic exploitation of the "enlightened" territories. In both cases, the Westerners were confident that at least Russia is much worse than them.

John Kerry's remarks that Russia is using the diplomatic methods of XIX century are a little bit hypocritical - the West didn't change much since the XIX century either.

The Russian Foreign Ministry announced a list of suggestions (e.g. demands) to end the Ukrainian crisis. These are:
  • Ukraine should become a federation;
  • The Russian language should become the second state language of Ukraine;
  • Ukraine should recognize the Crimean independence referendum;
  • Ukraine should become a politically and militarily neutral state.
It seems that Putin is not interested in conquering Ukraine, but in keeping the United States, EU and NATO away from it.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2848 on: March 17, 2014, 11:07:41 am »

So Ukraine should accept being invaded and put itself in a situation where it can be invaded again easily in the future. I'm fairly certain the answer is going to be along the line of "Fuck you".

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2849 on: March 17, 2014, 11:08:52 am »

Ukraine should become a federation;
Yeah. And some time later parts of that federation will have referendums where 97% will want join Russia
Pages: 1 ... 188 189 [190] 191 192 ... 286