Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 304847 times)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2370 on: March 11, 2014, 01:24:58 pm »

It's about the way they feel, not about what's happened. And from what I gathered 'Schandfrieden' describes the Russian perspective on the post-1990 situation pretty well.

Well the way americans feel is that russians are mean and scary so we'll just go occupying Moscow.  Should make us feel a lot better.

Who knew that feelings of paranoia were justification to go around annexing territory!

The West's only purpose it to complete the destruction of what has left of Soviet Union. After 20 years of political progress, we have no neutral country to the west of our borders: every state has joined NATO, except Belarus, that is allied to us.

Or maybe this isn't about Russia.  Maybe those are independent nations and they'd rather be trading partners with the greedy, self serving west.  Look at Belarus, that's the example of what you get from being a Russian client state.  Is it any wonder that all your neighbors are deciding that they'd rather look to Europe?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: March 11, 2014, 01:26:44 pm »

In my opinion, most Russians will go into "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" mode once West tries to offer assistance to Russia. Imagine Israel offering development aid to Egypt or other Arab states, or Japan offering assistance to China or both Koreas. The public reaction in Russia to Western offers of economic support will probably be the same as in these countries.

I think experience tells us that government initiatives generally are more harmful than good for fostering goodwill and cultural exchange.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: March 11, 2014, 01:27:36 pm »

On the inferiority and persecution complex thing though, I do have to add - It's clear that it's absolutely terribly bad among a large portion of the Russian population, but it's also something I've seen plenty of here in the states, and is responsible for a large portion of our conservative demographic, who feel they are constantly under an existential threat from outside forces that want to destroy them. It's not a Russia-specific phenomena, but it really seems like Russia, at least for now, has it particularly bad. :/

Guardian, as far as I can tell, the general opinion of pretty much everyone where I live is that we really just wish Russia could be friends with us the same way France and Germany and the UK are with the US. Sure, we may not always like France and Germany, exactly, and they've both been our deadly enemies in the past.

The US has a long history of foregoing past enmity in favour of cooperation, and most people would be more than happy to see Russia be the newest step in that trend. It sort of feels like Russia is unwilling to let that happen though, because certain powerful individuals NEED an overwhelmingly powerful (but simultaneously weak) enemy if they have any hope of remaining in power.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: March 11, 2014, 01:28:06 pm »

In my opinion, most Russians will go into "Beware of Greeks bearing gifts" mode once West tries to offer assistance to Russia. Imagine Israel offering development aid to Egypt or other Arab states, or Japan offering assistance to China or both Koreas. The public reaction in Russia to Western offers of economic support will probably be the same as in these countries.

I think experience tells us that government initiatives generally are more harmful than good for fostering goodwill and cultural exchange.
There recently was a Netherlands-Russia year. Needless to say, it was filled with diplomatic incidents :P

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: March 11, 2014, 01:32:31 pm »

It's about the way they feel, not about what's happened. And from what I gathered 'Schandfrieden' describes the Russian perspective on the post-1990 situation pretty well.

Well the way americans feel is that russians are mean and scary so we'll just go occupying Moscow.  Should make us feel a lot better.
Look, I'm in Germany - if a conventional war breaks out, Russian bombers will definitely reach us. If anyone thinks the Russians are scary, it's us. And Poland. And the Baltic states. And Ukraine. And Turkey. And... but I digress.
The way they feel is no justification for agression - look a few pages back, and you'll see that I advocate a higher degree of militarization in Europe. But to understand the way they feel is vital for understanding Russia's motives and actions and avoiding a confrontation - and I'm trying to understand the best I can. After all, there's no thousand-kilometer ocean between Moscow and my home.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: March 11, 2014, 01:43:16 pm »

Look, I'm in Germany - if a conventional war breaks out, Russian bombers will definitely reach us. If anyone thinks the Russians are scary, it's us. And Poland. And the Baltic states. And Ukraine. And Turkey. And... but I digress.
The way they feel is no justification for agression - look a few pages back, and you'll see that I advocate a higher degree of militarization in Europe. But to understand the way they feel is vital for understanding Russia's motives and actions and avoiding a confrontation - and I'm trying to understand the best I can. After all, there's no thousand-kilometer ocean between Moscow and my home.
I live in a town situated directly at the border with Poland, a EU and NATO member. You should probably guess it if you look at the map. If USA and NATO decide to enforce democracy in Russia, my town and me will be hit first, just like in the first half of the 20th century when an alliance of progressive European states led by Germany, which had some misunderstandings with Britain and the United States of America over foreign policy, decided to launch an offensive against Russia, which was led by a horrible dictator that violated human rights, in order to integrate Russian territories and the people living there into Europe.

Unfortunately, Russia, who didn't understand the benefits of European integration, rolled its tanks into Europe, forcibly disbanded the alliance of progressive European states led by Germany and installed totalitarianism across Eastern Europe. Those bastards.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 01:48:51 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

SquatchHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • A bit drafty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2377 on: March 11, 2014, 01:48:15 pm »

That's technically an action, not a speech... Well it was only a matter of time before I had to write another scene of utter and horrifying perversion.

King of Candy Island.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: March 11, 2014, 01:54:37 pm »

UR: I need to drop the word 'integrate' - how about 'feel comfortable' instead?
I'll answer that question if you'll answer that one: Millions of Russians believe that Ukrainian nation doesn't exist, that Ukrainian language doesn't exist and in fact it is Russian language spoiled by Polish influence and so on. What should we Ukrainians do to make those people feel comfortable?

Millions of Russians believe that Russia and Ukraine is same thing which is quite different from what you say. There is udmurtian language in town I was born, tatars speak tatar, moprdovs mordovian and that list goes on for all hundred nationalities living in Russia.
All that languages is not prosecuted, in fact I could learn udmurtian is school if I wanted, but since my parents is from Chelyabinsk Oblast I never felt obliged to that. And you can't deny that russian and ukrainian have the same roots.

There we go to another point many westerners is not aware of. In USSR was a policy called 'raspredelenie'. Basically put, is that when you finish your university education you get transferred to another city where your professional skills required. Thats how my parents was transferred from Chelyabinsk to Votkinsk, where I was born. They basically have not much choice. And, surprisingly, many russians were transferred same way to now ukrainian/estonian/etc territory.

And then split happened. And now your country tried to abolish russian language. Seriously? So it's like "hey russians, pack your shit and GTFO?" They have homes, families there now.

In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

ivze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: March 11, 2014, 01:57:34 pm »

Yes, yes, yes.
There are no human feelings in Geopolitics, only strategical calculations.

These calculations say, that NATO in Ukraine is a very bad idea, so Russia has to take measures.
These calculations say, that missile-defence systems in Europe would shut down Russian nuclear missiles in an event of Nuclear war. This deteriorates the strategical nuclear weapon balance. The same systems in Ukraine would do worse, so we take extra measures.

The last time Russia let feelings rule it's political decisions was in 1990s. We were promised peace that time, but the peace was a lie...

No one wants war. Anyway, we are on a tiny planet in a tremendously huge Universe. There is space for everyone, but in the current development phase of our Civilisation we have a strategical runaway, when everyone feels suspicious.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: March 11, 2014, 01:58:23 pm »

And then split happened. And now your country tried to abolish russian language. Seriously? So it's like "hey russians, pack your shit and GTFO?" They have homes, families there now.
Ukraine never tried to abolish the Russian language.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: March 11, 2014, 01:58:49 pm »

Unfortunately, Russia, who didn't understand the benefits of European integration, rolled its tanks into Europe, forcibly disbanded the alliance of progressive European states led by Germany and installed totalitarianism across Eastern Europe. Those bastards.

That's quite the revisionist view of WW2.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2382 on: March 11, 2014, 02:03:06 pm »

Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: March 11, 2014, 02:04:02 pm »

That's quite the revisionist view of WW2.
What, you think it's wrong? Don't try to excuse the obvious crimes of Russia against the free people of Europe, you Stalinist!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: March 11, 2014, 02:05:11 pm »

Lol
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 286