Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305042 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #2265 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:17 pm »

They most certainly aren't. Yeez, pro/anti nuclear is still at a rather thigh split, even with a worst case incident happening in japan;
When the lights go out, people will reconsider.

Besides, they don't have to say that they're returning to Nuclear. The nuclear shutdown in Germany was -aside from a purely populistic descision- completely illegal, so they can just say they're allowing the plants to operate untill the end of their lifetime to avoid a multi-billion fine.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: March 10, 2014, 12:39:21 pm »

Yeah, in the worst case the nuclear reactors are still there. If the light goes out, the reactors will become much more popular again. Also it was a very mild winter, so gas reserves are full.
As a long term solution, the US might decide to export some of their natural gas from fracking. They are at least thinking about it, to possibly counter Russian influence in Europe.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: March 10, 2014, 01:18:50 pm »

Sanctions strike me as unlikely considering how many Western countries are dependent on Russian energy imports. Certainly would hurt the Russians quite a lot, but it'd hurt the Europeans just as much, if not more.

The EU economy is 8 times that of Russia.  Natural gas exports are 17% of the Russian economy, for Europe it's a drop in the bucket.  And Russia isn't the only seller in the world of natural gas.  If European countries decide that for security reason it makes sense to pay a modest premium on non-Russian sources of gas it would be devestating to the Russian economy but would be about the equivalent to a bad quarter for Europe.  That's not too bad a price to pay to make sure that Putin never pulls another stunt that hurts the European economy like this.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: March 10, 2014, 01:27:34 pm »

Yeah, in the worst case the nuclear reactors are still there. If the light goes out, the reactors will become much more popular again. Also it was a very mild winter, so gas reserves are full.
As a long term solution, the US might decide to export some of their natural gas from fracking. They are at least thinking about it, to possibly counter Russian influence in Europe.

On this, Republicans here are basically using the Ukraine to push the same agenda they were for during Obama's first term.

"Automatically approve all pipelines"

"Open up protected areas to prospecting"

"Increase natural gas production so we can export it"

Replacing Russia as an energy producer and the Republican Energy Agenda intersecting is just political serendipity. Republicans don't give two shits about the rest of the world, they're just using it as an excuse to hammer Obama so energy barons can make even more money on their currently existing infrastructure, instead of converting to greener forms of energy.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:29:17 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: March 10, 2014, 01:28:23 pm »

And as usual, I'm too busy to research myself. Any news, gentlemen?

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: March 10, 2014, 01:32:30 pm »

Whatever the republican motives are, the democrats do now have a motive to consider natural gas exports so it might happen.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: March 10, 2014, 01:47:44 pm »

Whatever the republican motives are, the democrats do now have a motive to consider natural gas exports so it might happen.

Making use of our existing stockpiles for export I'm ok with. Declaring open season on all forms of energy production, I'm not. Deregulating the industry as Republicans want will just give us another Deep Water Horizon event, only with a natural gas flavor.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 01:55:19 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: March 10, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »

Sanctions strike me as unlikely considering how many Western countries are dependent on Russian energy imports. Certainly would hurt the Russians quite a lot, but it'd hurt the Europeans just as much, if not more.

The EU economy is 8 times that of Russia.  Natural gas exports are 17% of the Russian economy, for Europe it's a drop in the bucket.  And Russia isn't the only seller in the world of natural gas.  If European countries decide that for security reason it makes sense to pay a modest premium on non-Russian sources of gas it would be devestating to the Russian economy but would be about the equivalent to a bad quarter for Europe.  That's not too bad a price to pay to make sure that Putin never pulls another stunt that hurts the European economy like this.

A drop in the bucket? Europe imports about 30% of its oil and 40% of its gas from Russia, hardly amounts that could be easily replaced by other sources in the near term. Considering the economic state of most EU countries, a cut in Russian energy supplies would be crippling.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: March 10, 2014, 01:58:48 pm »

It would be tough if it happened immediately, but these things take time - and the Saudis will be more than happy to step in, considering that they're Russia's rivals in the Middle East. Even the worst case won't be as bad as the oil crises in the 70's.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2274 on: March 10, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »

Nenjin/maniac, you're getting off-topic.

How about the pipelines that run through Ukraine? West Ukraine gets invaded, Russia's economy might take a massive hit anyway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

http://en.ria.ru/infographics/20120117/170800440.html
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: March 10, 2014, 02:15:05 pm »

A drop in the bucket? Europe imports about 30% of its oil and 40% of its gas from Russia, hardly amounts that could be easily replaced by other sources in the near term. Considering the economic state of most EU countries, a cut in Russian energy supplies would be crippling.

Way to use qualitative description completely devoid of any sense of scale of what you are actually talking about.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: March 10, 2014, 02:21:22 pm »

Way to use qualitative description completely devoid of any sense of scale of what you are actually talking about.

Right, because the European economy is very small, so 30% really isn't hard to replace after all.
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: March 10, 2014, 02:24:10 pm »

Right, because the European economy is very small, so 30% really isn't hard to replace after all.

Analogy time! I used 50% of all the money I had on me to buy a can of Coke. It costs 1$. Expensive or not?

The fact that it's 30% of all oil doesn't mean it's a lot of oil.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: March 10, 2014, 02:35:58 pm »

No oil => no fuel => no cars => nobody can get to work => bam.
._.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: March 10, 2014, 02:37:32 pm »

Well that's the greenhouse effect dealt with.
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 286