Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305394 times)

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1995 on: March 05, 2014, 06:50:05 pm »

Gogis:

Any opinion on the ramifications for nuclear proliferation, or how Yanukovitch and his oligarchy allies (Not Russia) started the whole crisis?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135758.msg5062623#msg5062623
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135758.msg5051646;topicseen#msg5051646
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1996 on: March 05, 2014, 06:51:35 pm »

snip

Oh god, before this escalates, please let me just say that gogis meant that Russia, and USSR, and most other eastern european countries, absolutely including Ukraine, are very good at defending themselves. Not because of the armies, but because of the people who will hold their ground with grim determination, if needed. So if Russia is invaded, the russians will take up arms go down fighting. Likewise, Ukraine is prepared to fight to the last right now, as it seems.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:54:09 pm by Knit tie »

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1997 on: March 05, 2014, 06:52:49 pm »

But it's kind of historically true. I recommend exellent Europa Universalis series game here. Not even country for some game periods, but regions...

Would you support Polish army marching into Lviv, then? Same logic.

Thats not even ever to be the same, jesus. Russians never liberated Polish/Lithuanian lands. Or maybe some bit I dont recall. But there was a lot of cooperation and liberating with Ukraine.
And, after all, did you ever heard Warsaw Rus? Krakow Rus?
But I defenitely heard Kievan Rus, did I?
In Soviet Russia cigarette smokes you

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1998 on: March 05, 2014, 06:53:41 pm »

Oh, that a magnificient thread. I never been hated so much on internet. I like it

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 05, 2014, 06:56:23 pm »

UR, gogis, guys, pals, brothers, ребята, please calm down. Go off the web, drink some tea and come back later. You are both good people, I have no doubt of that, but please stop arguing so vehemently. Your points of view are not entirely mutually exclusive, compromise can be found, I assure you :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2014, 06:58:35 pm by Knit tie »

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 05, 2014, 06:57:06 pm »

snip

Oh god, before this escalates, please let me just say that gogis meant that Russia, and USSR, and most other eastern european countries, absolutely including Ukraine, are very good at defending themselves. Not because of the armies, but because of the people who will hold their ground with grim determination, if needed. So if Russia is invaded, the russians will take up arms go down fighting. Likewise, Ukraine is prepared to fight to the last right now, as it seems.

I know you wanted to stop me.
But thats true. And thats why russians will not going to fight ukrainians. Thats silly. We are the same people.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:09 pm »

It is silly. And I don't want you to stop, I just want you to wind down a bit.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: March 05, 2014, 06:58:45 pm »

But it's kind of historically true. I recommend exellent Europa Universalis series game here. Not even country for some game periods, but regions...

Thats not even ever to be the same, jesus. Russians never liberated Polish/Lithuanian lands. Or maybe some bit I dont recall. But there was a lot of cooperation and liberating with Ukraine.
It is perfectly clear that Russia sees itself as a successor to the Kievan Rus. That does not mean it owns Kiev today. Or that it can just go ahead and take Crimea because that was Russian territory once.
This is not some computer game.
And you didn't answer the question. Lviv was a Polish city until 1939. Similarly Königsberg/Kaliningrad was a German city until 1945. By your logic, that means Poland and Germany should just march in and take them back?

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #2003 on: March 05, 2014, 07:02:45 pm »

Damnit!

Gogis:

Any opinion on the ramifications for nuclear proliferation, or how Yanukovitch and his oligarchy allies (Not Russia) started the whole crisis?
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=135758.msg5051646;topicseen#msg5051646

I demand answers!
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 05, 2014, 07:06:04 pm »

Well, about nukes, I don't believe their number will increase significantly following the Ukrainian crisis. Most countries that want nukes are either armed already or too poor to afford them right now.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 05, 2014, 07:11:22 pm »

It is perfectly clear that Russia sees itself as a successor to the Kievan Rus. That does not mean it owns Kiev today. Or that it can just go ahead and take Crimea because that was Russian territory once.
And you didn't answer the question. Lviv was a Polish city until 1939. Similarly Königsberg/Kaliningrad was a German city until 1945. By your logic, that means Poland and Germany should just march in and take them back?

Yes, thats could happen. You will be naive to belive otherwise. Again. You brought up Kievan Rus. In reality, this is Crimea and access to Black Sea. Nothing more. It's huge

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 05, 2014, 07:12:11 pm »

I could see Ukraine restarting (or possibly even "restarting") its nuclear program once this is said and done. It's almost a certainty if they don't keep Crimea and don't get into NATO fast afterwards.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

gogis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 05, 2014, 07:15:40 pm »

Damnit!

Gogis:

I demand answers!

I have no answers on both questions, because I saw two different opinions on that, not surprisingly opposite. And it's, frankly, was again dreaded Russia/West thing. So I decided to not comment when you first time asked. So side with whatever you feel right.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 05, 2014, 07:18:29 pm »

Frankly I think non-proliferation was a lost cause anyway, beyond cost-cutting measures for the existing nuclear powers. In the case of Ukraine, that was part of the dissolution of the USSR anyway, so a rather special case. And that treaty that promised never to invade, well, Russia considers it invalid as it doesn't recognize the government, so that's that.

Yes, thats could happen. You will be naive to belive otherwise. Again. You brought up Kievan Rus. In reality, this is Crimea and access to Black Sea. Nothing more. It's huge
What? You brought up Kievan Rus, I marked it for you.
The issue is the sovereignty of a country, in this case Ukraine's, since Crimea is part of Ukraine.
And let me tell you as a German and a European that nobody intends to take Kaliningrad or Lviv. If you don't believe that much, I'm afraid you are seriously misinformed.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 05, 2014, 07:19:48 pm »

Well, about nukes, I don't believe their number will increase significantly following the Ukrainian crisis. Most countries that want nukes are either armed already or too poor to afford them right now.
The problem is that many more countries will  add to "want nukes" list seeing that all treaties are paper and nothing more.  Dozens of countries are capable to do nukes with relative ease

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 132 133 [134] 135 136 ... 286