Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305331 times)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1785 on: March 04, 2014, 06:54:12 am »

Well. Putin said  "In Ukraine revolution happened so this is absolutely new country. 1994 Budapest memorandum was signed with country that doesn't exist anymore and Russia will not follow it"

I guess that  means all loans and deals with Russia are canceled, too.

He is crazy
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1786 on: March 04, 2014, 07:00:16 am »

Which means Russia broke the 2010 Kharkiv agreement that extend the lease for the Sevastopol base. So if Russia doesn't secure Crimean independence, they may lose their base in 2017.
Nope, they didn't. Or well, not now. Ukraine paid 400$ per per thousand cubic metres in 2013, so the discount appears to have disappeared much earlier. They have this nice loophole that Ukraine not paying(because it can't afford it) means that Ukraine technically fails to comply with agreement, which means they get to increase their prices.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1787 on: March 04, 2014, 07:12:58 am »

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 08:30:46 am by olemars »

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1788 on: March 04, 2014, 08:25:56 am »

Warning shots? Oh boy.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1789 on: March 04, 2014, 08:49:55 am »

You've got to admire their guts. Also, this is the manliest staring match ever.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1790 on: March 04, 2014, 09:16:14 am »

I think the guy who fired is not a russian soldier but some sort of militia, while the guys with helmets are the actual soldiers.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1791 on: March 04, 2014, 09:40:07 am »

Apparently, those rumors about the frigate were fake, according to the Ukrainian MoD and the frigate's own FB page.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1792 on: March 04, 2014, 09:48:39 am »

Because of course the frigate has a Facebook page...

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1793 on: March 04, 2014, 09:49:55 am »

Does it have selfies? Drunk posts? Arguments with exes?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1794 on: March 04, 2014, 10:08:04 am »

Interesting article, making the point that Putin ain't so much a chessmaster trying to take over the Free World(tm) as scrambling to save what can be saved of Russian influence in the region. After all, 25 years ago, Moscow controlled the whole Black Sea coast save for Turkey. Now, with Georgia definitely West and Ukraine heading that way too, all that's left is a small stretch of Russian coast and Abkhazia. The same dynamic is at play all over Europe, with the west (in the guise of the EU and NATO) surging eastward over the last 25 years.

Since as I said before Russia won't assimilate into the West, Putin understandably feel more and more isolated. After all, he may have taken Crimea, but over the last months he lost the rest of Ukraine. 

(Fun fact: the West now stretch all the way to 25° East.)
This

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1795 on: March 04, 2014, 10:15:09 am »

I want to sig this...
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1796 on: March 04, 2014, 10:20:14 am »

gah finally catched up with the thread again.

But honestly if i were in UR's shoes i'd start loading a rifle or dust off the Russian flags, because relying on the incompetent bunch of nitwits that call themselves the government of germany is the last thing i would do...ever.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1797 on: March 04, 2014, 10:33:51 am »

I want to sig this...

Woo-hoo! I'm sig worthy!

All the major world leaders seem to be throwing down over this. Russia is saying they have the right to use force in Ukrain if they want, the members of the G8 (or at least our prime-minister) are threatening to throw russia out, everyone wants to saction everything. I'm pretty sure Russia has already pretty much destroyed their diplomatic position with the rest of the world. Do they have a secret massive army ammassing underground? Have we entered Bond-Movie territory yet?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1798 on: March 04, 2014, 10:35:39 am »

Meh. As long as Putin avoids involving Poland I really don't see this turning out too bad for Russia.

Maybe a year or so of banned shampoo imports.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #1799 on: March 04, 2014, 10:59:33 am »

Well, it's the threat that counts. Unless China or some other country accounts for that massive dump, then we will see massive problems all over the world. Hell, this would simply be a second economic collapse.

No it wouldn't trigger a second economic collapse.  If the Russians did this and it wasn't a big publicity stunt, the average man on the street wouldn't even notice.  Did you notice back in any of the massive shifts in treasury note buying habits that international investors have done over the past five years?  Some of those were larger then this Russian "threat".

Read this, it's about china but the same topic: http://krugman.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/chinas-water-pistol/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 ... 118 119 [120] 121 122 ... 286