Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305593 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1725 on: March 03, 2014, 07:10:28 pm »

Also listened a bit to the Moldovan representative to the UNSC, and apparently Putin is ramping up meddling around their territory as well.
I guess something like this is looming over all former Soviet states, with the exception of NATO members like the Baltic states. Ukraine is just the biggest piece of the cake.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: March 03, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

so that's what the 'language' thing was eh? Yeah that seems stupid. Trying to appease the right-wingers?
It is utter nonsense bloated by Russian propaganda, it was returning from 2011 language law to 1989 language law. It was totally fine for 20+ years but now it is

And Languages in Crimea is regulated by local laws, one of the advantages their current autonomy provides. So that law had no effect on them
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:12:56 pm by Ukrainian Ranger »
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1727 on: March 03, 2014, 07:13:10 pm »

snip

We're talking about a very fluid situation with "fog of war" and all that entails, along with emotions running high.  If there were not popular support, there probably would have been skirmishes by now, regardless of any standing orders.

Popular support isn't the reason why there wasn't any fighting. The Ukrainian troops that are surrounded in their bases are prepared to defend themselves, but are ordered not to start anything.
The lack of accidents is a weak argument for 'they're welcoming them as liberators'.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

miljan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: March 03, 2014, 07:14:11 pm »

@miljan

In what incident are you implying the USA did that? Was it recent?

Miljan, they were ordered to resist responding to russian 'provocations'. That means no shooting, that means stay in your base.
That does not mean they're happy jubilant russia-lovers.

What military desertion, aside from the unsuccessful naval chief?

Funny story: boki here is outraged when the west intervenes in countries that are slaughtering their own civilians with tanks and aircraft, and you cite 'unrest and pro-russian protests' as grounds for an invasion?
Nahh, no proofs of that (you will never find any proofs of it, or very little from CIA part in the past, coold war and crap like that).
And I am not talking about Uk soldiers, but people that live there. And also some soldiers, as there are more posts about it
The Ukrainian Air Force 240th tactical aviation brigade based near Sevastopol has switched allegiance to the authorities of Crimea
http://en.alalam.ir/news/1571805

Also dude, read very carefully what i write.  'unrest and pro-russian protests' is not ground for any invasion, but it is what it is, and it does not make this just a normal occupation because of it. You may like it or hate it, but the fact is they are pro russian regions and that makes it more easier for russia to move there
Make love not war

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: March 03, 2014, 07:16:02 pm »

so that's what the 'language' thing was eh? Yeah that seems stupid. Trying to appease the right-wingers?
It is utter nonsense bloated by Russian propaganda, it was returning from 2011 language law to 1989 language law. It was totally fine for 20+ years but now it is "banning" Russian language.
At least the timing was really stupid. That's why it was overturned by the Acting President. It didn't do anything, but it was a bad signal in a tense situation.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1730 on: March 03, 2014, 07:17:53 pm »

a spokesman for the local authorities told Interfax.
So, Russian media is a source

Should I explain what it means?

War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1731 on: March 03, 2014, 07:19:18 pm »

Something tells me something will happen in two hours.
._.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1732 on: March 03, 2014, 07:24:45 pm »

Something tells me something will happen in two hours.
Three hours. If war to start today it will begin in three hours. There are a lot of info on unofficial Russian ultimatum to our bases. Surrender or be assaulted after 5:00 local time. Russians denied that they issued that and that makes me worry even more because if Russian say something that usually means an opposite thing

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1733 on: March 03, 2014, 07:34:30 pm »

If they're genre savvy enough they will either attack 1 hour before the ultimatum expires or several days after that.
._.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1734 on: March 03, 2014, 07:37:54 pm »

Hopefully the war won't start. But if it does, UR, I want you and all other ukrainians to give us hell like you gave Hitler.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1735 on: March 03, 2014, 07:38:47 pm »

Interesting quote @ people doubting the EU will take actions:
"You guy are all so cynical. There is an important principle at stake here. I'm sure the entire EU is prepared to fight all the way down to the last American soldier to defend it."

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1736 on: March 03, 2014, 07:39:58 pm »

Also dude, read very carefully what i write.  'unrest and pro-russian protests' is not ground for any invasion, but it is what it is, and it does not make this just a normal occupation because of it. You may like it or hate it, but the fact is they are pro russian regions and that makes it more easier for russia to move there
Fair enough, wasn't so much disputing the russian crimeans supporting the occupation, so much as presenting the 'cold invasion' as evidence of massive popular support.
And also pointing out the hypocrisy of condemning the west's recent military activities and praising this one.

a spokesman for the local authorities told Interfax.
So, Russian media is a source

Should I explain what it means?
Yeah, seems to be what everyone cites, but I wouldn't dismiss it outright.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1737 on: March 03, 2014, 07:43:54 pm »

Interesting quote @ people doubting the EU will take actions:
"You guy are all so cynical. There is an important principle at stake here. I'm sure the entire EU is prepared to fight all the way down to the last American soldier to defend it."
The EU is always willing to act if it means siccing America at people. /joke
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 07:47:18 pm by Knit tie »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1738 on: March 03, 2014, 07:47:35 pm »

EU is apparently american now. What next? Australia will use Chinese soldiers to fight off the Indians?
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1739 on: March 03, 2014, 07:49:21 pm »

Honestly I thought that was kind of the whole point of NATO. The US get's to be all warmongery without the Europeans bitching about it, and in return the Americans defend the Europeans.

Win-win situation really.
Pages: 1 ... 114 115 [116] 117 118 ... 286