Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305790 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1620 on: March 03, 2014, 12:22:29 pm »

As for Putin, I kinda understand his urge to build an Eurasian Union. Integration with the West is impossible, both due to Russia's self-esteem (After all, joining the EU means putting you on the same level as Luxemburg, and even being in the West by and large mean subordinating yourself to the US.) and the fact the Russians were traumatized by the shock therapy of the 1990's and are dubious of the west. And in today's globalized world, you can't make it on your own.
I understand that too, but I think the world is so globalized that a potential EAU and the EU would need each other to cooperate economically and strategically. That's of course more unrealistic than ever with aggressive posturing like that.

Not that I approve, especially since the consequences of this conflict could be rather devastating, but none of this seems crazy at all. Risky, yes, but not crazy.
Yeah, I don't think Putin is crazy at all. He seems like a very intelligent and calculating guy. The whole strategy to hand out passports to create citizens who need protection has been tested before and is now applied on a larger scale. Incredibly risky it is, but it might work.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: March 03, 2014, 12:29:11 pm »

Yeah, I don't think Putin is crazy at all. He seems like a very intelligent and calculating guy.
Maniacs can be smart
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: March 03, 2014, 12:31:29 pm »

Yeah, I don't think Putin is crazy at all. He seems like a very intelligent and calculating guy.
Maniacs can be smart
Actually, persons with maniacal tendencies are very likely to end up in control of major corporations, governments and other important stuff.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:46 pm »

Maniacs can be smart
Actually, persons with maniacal tendencies are very likely to end up in control of major corporations, governments and other important stuff.

I think you're thinking of APD (AKA sociopathy). Mania attacks are very different.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: March 03, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »

Maniacs can be smart

Intelligence and Wisdom may be often related, but are very different things.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1625 on: March 03, 2014, 12:37:22 pm »

I've seen this posted a lot on my FB feed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1626 on: March 03, 2014, 12:38:19 pm »

The BBC is reporting that the Russian Defense Ministry are dismissing the Ukranian cliams of an inpending offensive as "utter nonsense".

Which again raises the question of what the fuck is Russia doing with so many troops in the region?
Trying to prevent Ukrainian security forces from crushing pro-Russian separatists.

Probable course of events favourable for Russia, provided NATO won't decide to recreate the campaign of Lock On: Modern Air Combat in real life:
1. Pro-Russian protesters take control of regional administrations in Crimea and the South East Ukraine
2. They announce a referendum on seceding from Ukraine.
3. The government in Kiev can't do anything about it, because if they use force, Russia will bomb the shit out of them.
4. The referendum will (obviously) result in separatists winning. Crimea and the South East Ukraine secede.
5. USA and EU rage and threaten sanctions, like in 2008, Putin ignores them.
6. Crimea becomes an semi-independent (and of course unrecognised) state under Russian protection, a-la Abkhazia or South Ossetia. South East Ukraine either becomes a separate state (also backed by Russia) or becomes Russian territory.
7. ??
8. ☭Наш Советский Союз покоряет весь мир, как огромный медведь на Востоке...☭
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 12:44:01 pm by Guardian G.I. »
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1627 on: March 03, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »

Crazy implies that he is acting irrationally. I don't think that's the case. I think this has been thought out very rationally, especially given Russia's long time dependence on Crimea as a warm water port. Taking risks doesn't necessarily imply irrationality any more than acting cautious necessarily implies paranoia.

Putin is taking a big risk here, but the potential rewards for success are huge. If he wins he secures Crimea (and access to the Black Sea) for Russia, shows the world the Russia is strong, and simultaneously shows that the US and Western Europe are weak and can't be depended on. It would be a major step towards Russia regaining Superpower status in the world.

EDIT: Ninja'd a bit, but my point stands.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1628 on: March 03, 2014, 12:45:50 pm »

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1629 on: March 03, 2014, 12:47:41 pm »

I've seen this posted a lot on my FB feed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Though the part about refugee camps could also be related to the Russian claim that there were huge waves of refugees. The Ukrainian border guard denies these claims, and they have only been reported by Russian media.

Probable course of events favourable for Russia, provided NATO won't decide to recreate the campaign of Lock On: Modern Air Combat in real life:
1. Pro-Russian protesters take control of regional administrations in Crimea and the South East Ukraine
2. They announce a referendum on seceding from Ukraine.
3. The government in Kiev can't do anything about it, because if they use force, Russia will bomb the shit out of them.
4. The referendum will (obviously) result in separatists winning. Crimea and the South East Ukraine secede.
5. USA and EU rage and threaten sanctions, like in 2008, Putin ignores them.
6. Crimea becomes an semi-independent (and of course unrecognised) state under Russian protection, a-la Abkhazia or South Ossetia. South East Ukraine either becomes a separate state (also backed by Russia) or becomes Russian territory.
That seems to be the plan indeed.

Putin is taking a big risk here, but the potential rewards for success are huge. If he wins he secures Crimea (and access to the Black Sea) for Russia, shows the world the Russia is strong, and simultaneously shows that the US and Western Europe are weak and can't be depended on. It would be a major step towards Russia regaining Superpower status in the world.
Not so sure about the rewards. It might result in a Cold War 2 climate. The world is more globalized than ever, so economic isolation is not fully possible anymore, especially for Europe, but diplomatically this is pretty risky for Russia.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1630 on: March 03, 2014, 12:49:38 pm »

The tragic irony now is that if this escalates into a shooting war, it's the inhabitants in Crimea that get to be the bulletcatchers.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1631 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:48 pm »

A Cold War's atmosphere justify Putin's more authoritarian streak: need for a strong leader and all that.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1632 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:26 pm »

Worst case scenario: A chain of allies type-thing leads to a third world war. Not fucking good, especially if someone whips out the nuclear weapons. Bad.
Canada take your shirt off, you are playing for the Ruskies now...
You'd like that, wouldn't you? ;3
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1633 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:43 pm »

The tragic irony now is that if this escalates into a shooting war, it's the inhabitants in Crimea that get to be the bulletcatchers.
That was never, unfortunately, in doubt, my friend.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1634 on: March 03, 2014, 12:52:24 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 286