Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305850 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1560 on: March 03, 2014, 06:50:16 am »

You made me laugh there. :p

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: March 03, 2014, 06:56:58 am »

"Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany told Mr. Obama by telephone on Sunday that after speaking with Mr. Putin she was not sure he was in touch with reality, people briefed on the call said. “In another world,” she said."
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/03/world/europe/pressure-rising-as-obama-works-to-rein-in-russia.html?hpw&rref=world&_r=0

Well, its coming from the nytimes, so it wouldn't surprise me if it turns out this was exactly the opposite of what she said.

Anyway, toward the end of this article:
“What we see here are distinctly 19th- and 20th-century decisions made by President Putin to address problems,” one of the officials said. “What he needs to understand is that in terms of his economy, he lives in the 21st-century world, an interdependent world.”

Which is why both putin and europe will not want a 3rd world war as they are too interdependent. but the US... well, they can mostly profit by distancing russia from europe.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: March 03, 2014, 07:41:31 am »

Y'know, Avis's post a couple pages back got me thinking a little. Most of it not really of note, but one conclusion I came to is the realization that, as bullshit excuses to violate the sovereignty of another nation goes, ethnic tensions -- while more transparent than thin air, as pretty much everyone (fortunately) seems to realize -- is actually somewhat, very subtly, brilliant.

With WMDs -- with a lot of things, really -- there's, y'know, proof. The thing's existence or non-existence can be shown, eventually, which vindicates or condemns the invasion to whatever degree. But this? Russia's excuse? Sufficient ethnic conflict to warrant preemptive invasion will be practically impossible to prove or disprove in retrospect (because it's subjective as all hell, especially before actual wide-scale violence breaks out) and, even better (for a given definition of better), if it didn't exist before, it probably will by the end of all this.

For all that it's flimsy to the degree it's a farce, Russia's created a situation where, come the future, they can claim the violence and enmity they're close to certainly in the process of kicking off as justification for doing so. It... it's almost... elegant? In an absurd sort of way...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: March 03, 2014, 07:48:36 am »

Or if there is no tensions after all, they can say they successfully prevented it.

Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: March 03, 2014, 08:17:13 am »

I fucking hate double standards. Russia is doing shit? Hit it with sanctions, kick it from g8. The problem is where are the same reaction when america did same shit, when nato did it,france, britain, israel did shit. Where was the same response for  Libya, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Iraq and so many other in the past.

Half of shit that happens people dont even now in the world, and will never know, because it is not in the interest of some big countries.

I would take all the politics and the ones that finances them from the shadow and put them in jails for life for all the killing, countries destroyed, lives ruing, to root in prison.

Fucking hate how can powerful countries get away with crap they do, is it russia, america, china or some other, same crap. We are still in middle ages where big can do what ever the fuck they want, and nothing changed

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: March 03, 2014, 08:24:02 am »

In Libya and Afghanistan, we had some UN backing. In Yugoslavia and Libya, the violence was on-going and the west did what it could to stop it. Iraq was shit, and indeed I think the US should have be sanctioned.

Every country has double standard, because they're all juggling their standard with national interest. Just look at "I don't think we should intervene in other country's internal affairs" Russia.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: March 03, 2014, 08:29:06 am »

"At least 100 demonstrators waving Russian flags have stormed into the regional administration building in Donetsk, eastern Ukraine, and occupied at least one floor of the building. Itar-Tass news agency says there are no police on the scene. The 11-storey building has been flying the Russian flag, rather than the Ukrainian flag, for three days, Reuters reports."

Thoughts? I mean if the Mayden activists can do it in the west...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: March 03, 2014, 08:30:48 am »

Mayden activists weren't Russian soldiers :P

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: March 03, 2014, 08:31:56 am »

Thoughts? I mean if the Mayden activists can do it in the west...
Maydan activists used Polish flag in Lviv?

Besides 100 for the city as large as Donetsk is laughable
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

boki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: March 03, 2014, 08:37:12 am »

In Libya and Afghanistan, we had some UN backing. In Yugoslavia and Libya, the violence was on-going and the west did what it could to stop it. Iraq was shit, and indeed I think the US should have be sanctioned.

Every country has double standard, because they're all juggling their standard with national interest. Just look at "I don't think we should intervene in other country's internal affairs" Russia.

Heh, the funny thing, in lot of this counties west is the one that flamed and supported the problems in the first place (especially in Libya and Yugoslavia). And they are not there to stop the violence, don't think that for one moment, because it's the same thing russia is doing now. Its just a excuse for their interest.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:14 am »

Welcome to politics, kid.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: March 03, 2014, 08:40:48 am »

Yup, most of the Middle East is a ruin because of the west and their meddling during the cold war. Or well, it was kinda ruined from the colonization onward. Not that it was much better before with Slavery, and such...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: March 03, 2014, 08:59:09 am »

I fucking hate double standards. Russia is doing shit? Hit it with sanctions, kick it from g8. The problem is where are the same reaction when america did same shit, when nato did it,france, britain, israel did shit. Where was the same response for  Libya, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Iraq and so many other in the past.

Note however, that for every one of these wars the US at least got EXPLICIT PERMISSION from the UN to act.

Mind you, when it turned out they lied their asses off about Iraq, they certainly SHOULD have been threatened with sanctions or even just summarily sanctioned and kicked from the G8.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: March 03, 2014, 09:18:21 am »

Yeah, right, the west started the wars in Libya and Yugoslavia.  ::)

Pages: 1 ... 103 104 [105] 106 107 ... 286