Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 286

Author Topic: UR's Post-USSR politics megathread  (Read 305832 times)

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Russian intervention in Ukraine
« Reply #1545 on: March 03, 2014, 05:50:34 am »

So what would have been the best solution?

Also, sometime I feel like the widespread ethnic cleansing we had all over Eastern Europe after WW2 actually made it all much simpler.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: March 03, 2014, 05:53:26 am »

Other than a one world government (which would be disastrous yet the greatest step we've ever made), there is no easy solution. You can either let the villages decide or maybe something else.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: March 03, 2014, 05:53:49 am »

There was no good solution. As my Dad always says, we'd be best off if that asshole Princip never shot Franz Ferdinand and we were still an Austrian province. Some people are just not culturally fit for self-governance, and most of Balkans falls into that category.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: March 03, 2014, 05:54:21 am »

Worst case scenario: A chain of allies type-thing leads to a third world war. Not fucking good, especially if someone whips out the nuclear weapons. Bad.
No seriously, who the hell is Russia's allies? China isn't going to turn its back on its most significant trade deals for Russia's sake, Iran is surrounded by so many US military bases they wouldn't last a week and who the hell cares about North Korea when they don't have the food to maintain an actual army anyway. You know what, they can have Canada, just to try and keep teams even, it won't matter. Canada take your shirt off, you are playing for the Ruskies now... Point is this isn't like WWII, because one side doesn't have the resources for a full land war...

They do have a lot of nuclear weapon though, and that is a worry.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: March 03, 2014, 05:57:45 am »

More like if Ukraine yells for help, neighbours come to the rescue, the russians retaliate and NATO kicks in, leading to more blood and destruction.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1550 on: March 03, 2014, 05:59:45 am »

GrizzlyAdamz: We had joke about the protesters too, with the stuff like "Age of Maidan". But right now, Putin's probably the best joke target around.
Pretty much, but the reputation's still no fun to be under.

Eh, what neighbors? They're the biggest kid around that isn't NATO.
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1551 on: March 03, 2014, 06:00:51 am »

Well, first it'll be some Nato membercountries, and then the rest joins in.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1552 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:00 am »

Poland is playing chicken, lining up tanks along the border....
Fuck tittes. I'm gonna need cleanup crews working 24/7 to clean up this mess.
Hopefully, this will all die down, and no war will start.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
« Reply #1553 on: March 03, 2014, 06:03:06 am »

I agree with Max, Russia is pretty much alone in this. Its most powerful ally is China, but China has too much to lose and not enough to gain in this, so I believe they're going to stay neutral.
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1554 on: March 03, 2014, 06:07:08 am »

Unless... Italy, you sneaky bastard!

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1555 on: March 03, 2014, 06:09:47 am »

Belarus? Kazakhstan? But that's only if this somehow degenerate into a world war. Which isn't going to happen.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #1556 on: March 03, 2014, 06:09:59 am »

I wouldn't count china as russia's ally unless it's to curb US/NATO power.

They only need to join if the members don't initiate the fighting. That's why there wasn't a nato thing for Iraq.
So if Poland goes in to help Ukraine, they can go it alone. Though if they get counter-invaded it might get a bit hairier.
Which is what Russia might do in that scenario to keep Poland out, (threaten to counter-invade if they have to fight polish units, use the other NATO members to restrain the poles).
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1557 on: March 03, 2014, 06:17:43 am »

Reread my yersteday posts... I was way to harsh. Hope you understand that it is because of stress

Want to explain my vision of the whole situation

1) Remember how I named the thread right from the start? Soviet-Ukrainian war. That is what  I believe it is. 
2) Russians are not enemies of Ukrainians, they are essential ally of Ukrainians (more on that later)
3) Putin is an enemy of Ukraine
4) As well as millions of other Soviets. No matter what country they live in
5) You may ask. What Soviets? USSR collapsed 23 years ago. USSR is still in minds, nationality of a person is not determined by passport he holds. Nationality is mindset, ideology, values. Communism is gone, but let's be honest, among Soviet people we had very few who actually believed in theories of Marx.
6) I believe that Russians are persecuted ethnicity in Russia. The country is ruled by Soviets who use the wrong name for self-identification. They may share same language, they may be genetically related.  But they are ultimately different. Yesterday few hundreds of Russians were brave enough to protests against war. End result: Beaten and arrested for 15 days. 
7) Only Russians can remove Putin and other Soviets from power. No other way. After that Ukraine will have a nation nearby as friendly as Poland. Helping them is what any Ukrainian must do. Because If they'll fail we'll have an enemy at our borders. I always viewed Russian Federation as  hostile country. But I was sure that hostility will be limited by 21th century style politics: economic pressure, information war, creating instability in various ways. I never expected direct invasion. I was wrong

Hope that this will clarify my position a bit. I know many will consider it weird :)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1558 on: March 03, 2014, 06:39:18 am »

I read that many of the soldiers held hostage in Crimea by Russian troops are actually Russian, but refused to disarm because in their own words they swore loyalty to the state of Ukraine, not any particular ethnicity, nor to a government in Kiev and "certainly not a foreign government".
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 06:40:53 am by Owlbread »

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1559 on: March 03, 2014, 06:49:18 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
Pages: 1 ... 102 103 [104] 105 106 ... 286